PDA

View Full Version : What is your take on "Tazer Guns"?

Ranger Mom
04-05-2005, 05:42 PM
This story just says "Midland" man, but he actually lived down the road from me about a mile away. His daughter and mine have a bunch of classes together. I can't figure out why he ran from the police, as the whole story isn't clear yet. Our daughters cheered together and he and wife seemed like very nice people.

I was just wondering what the general take on using a tazer (sp) on someone was. It seems I have been hearing of several deaths lately concerning their use.

Greenwood Man Tazered (http://mywesttexas.com/site/news.cfm?newsid=14284579&BRD=2288&PAG=461&dept_id=475626&rfi=6)

Holmes_Fans
04-05-2005, 05:45 PM
I like what someone in the reader opinions said

It could be that he had drugs in his system that when tased caused his heart to have trouble...or he could have just had a known or unknown heart condtion and all the exertion from running and fighting caused his death

CHS_CG
04-05-2005, 05:46 PM
i know i could use a tazer gun for a coworker of mine..

hopefully the rest of the story becomes more clear!

AP Panther Fan
04-05-2005, 05:58 PM
I think the question that comes to mind is did he react/respond as a security guard would or a police officer?

It stated that he is an off-duty officer, but was working as a guard. I would think that might be a question that the company he was working for will have to answer when they get sued by the family. I would imagine that the responsibilities and expectations of those two jobs are entirely different. JMHO

Ranger Mom
04-05-2005, 06:05 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
I think the question that comes to mind is did he react/respond as a security guard would or a police officer?

It stated that he is an off-duty officer, but was working as a guard. I would think that might be a question that the company he was working for will have to answer when they get sued by the family. I would imagine that the responsibilities and expectations of those two jobs are entirely different. JMHO

That's my dilemma. Did he even know that he was being chased by a police officer or was he using self defense against what he thought was a deranged security officer?

Regarding the comment above, I don't think drugs had anything to with it, but he WAS a little bit overweight and may have had an underlying heart problem.

I just feel bad for the daughter. She is an only child and her dad had built a beautiful house out here overlooking a caliche pit....but that's a whole different story!!

District303aPastPlayer
04-05-2005, 07:44 PM
another life lost to police violence...
not the whole story or not... death by tazer is just not something that happens everyday... its not something that SHOULD happen either.

Rockdale Tiger
04-05-2005, 07:55 PM
The friggin hurt!

Old Cardinal
04-05-2005, 08:20 PM
I think that taser gun submission has its place. A deranged person high on dope can be very violent; however, it is better to taser that person than to just shoot him if he attacks a Law Enforcement Officer. With aids and blood-borne pathogens as a risk from the offender-- it is a protection option.
What worries me is that officers don't just use it as an easy-way-out to not have to subdue a semi-violent confused lawbreaker. Taser control tactics certainly have their place when logically and properly used....

crabman
04-05-2005, 08:33 PM
Since I was nominated for most informative poster, who out there knows what "TASER" stands for?

Kind of like scuba, laser, etc....

ASUFrisbeeStud
04-05-2005, 09:04 PM
It's better than getting shot or beat to death I would imagine....

lepfan
04-05-2005, 09:07 PM
What I know is that I don't want to be on the receiving end of one.

slpybear the bullfan
04-05-2005, 09:28 PM
RM, sorry to hear about an unfortunate incident.

I think that TASERs definitely have their place in Law Enforcement... Just like MACE, FIREARMS, STINGERS, ASPS, ETC. You must be trained to use and then also know WHEN to use them.

Two comments regarding...

#1). Unfortunately, there are some people who are dangerous to others around them and have to be PHYSICALLY subdued. The odds of surviving a TASER charge are much, much better than taking a 9mm or .40 cal slug in your chest.

#2.) Unfortunately, Law Enforcement is a profession consisting of humans and as such you will get the bad eggs as well. They will screw up and when they do it can be bad...

One of my favorite quotes... "Good men sleep soundly at night because rough men stand ready to do harm..."

slpybear

slpybear the bullfan
04-05-2005, 09:30 PM
Oh yeah, for those who don't know... a TASER is a device that is held in the hand, and shoots out two electrodes with wires. When you shoot it, the darts stick in the target and the wires conduct electricity to them. You push the button and you can shock them... pretty much incapacitating anyone.

Check out this video to see one in action....

Bull gets TASERed (http://www.big-boys.com/articles/bulltaser.html)

crabman
04-05-2005, 09:33 PM
T - Thomas
A - A.
S - Swift's
E - Electric
R - Rifle

The inventor named it after a comic book character he used to read.

Ray_BearKat
04-05-2005, 11:20 PM
They're great fun to watch...

TOPS1435
04-05-2005, 11:22 PM
There was a report about tasers on National Public Radio last Friday. As part of the investigation, the reporters asked and none of the scientists who work for Taser have ever experienced being shot or has research been done on what happens to people.

It is 50,000 volts that go off for a few seconds if I remember the report right. The reporter allowed herself to be shot. She decribes it as like having some one stick you in your heart with a fork and you cannot do any about it because you are paralized.

What if some one had a pacemaker and was hit by one?

The site for the report is:

http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=4571973

Look for the story by Laura Sullivan. Use tasers in the search if my link does not take you to the story.

I'm with lepfan. I do not want to be hit by one.