PDA

View Full Version : What the Heck is Zero Week?!

slpybear the bullfan
04-04-2005, 10:03 PM
Okay, here is one of Slpybear's crazy offseason questions...

What the heck is zero Week?

I heard people mention that last year and am hearing it again this offseason.

Isn't the start of the season week 1?

There isn't a zero yard line... a zero week of the year... a zero week of the schedule in NFL, NCAA Football, (or any other sports that I can tell).

There isn't a zero page in a book, a zero anniversary, a size zero dress, (not that I know that much about dresses... ;) ), or a zero across or down in a crossword puzzle.

I keep trying to figure out what/when/who zero week is...

...but I keep coming up with a zero.

(sorry, but I couldn't resist)

Anyone have any insight on this illogical feature in some High Schools?

LH Panther Mom
04-04-2005, 10:11 PM
Zero week is basically the first game for many teams, but is also "bye" week for lots. Since there are only 10 games in regular season, I guess someone thought folks would get too confused if there were 11 "weeks" instead of 10. I don't if this is official, but it's my story & I'm sticking to it. :D

CRHSeagle
04-04-2005, 10:12 PM
Im guessin to make up for the bye week. But then why not make a week 11 thats not a playoff week??

Ranger Mom
04-04-2005, 10:33 PM
My daughter wears a "double zero" jeans!!

LH Panther Mom
04-04-2005, 10:34 PM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
My daughter wears a "double zero" jeans!!

:eek: My ankle might fit in them. :D

big daddy russ
04-04-2005, 11:14 PM
It's the week before week one. I know, I know, sounds simple enough. Some teams play early so they can get a bye week later in the season; others just play their ten games and that's that. I don't know the whole story behind it, but that's what I do know.

TOPS1435
04-04-2005, 11:15 PM
For some schools, such as those taking part in the East Texas Kick-off Classic at Trinity Mother Francis Rose Stadium in Tyler, they request a waiver from UIL to start football the week before the scheduled start of the season. Since the season starts with week one (usually after Sept. 1, last year would have been Friday, Sept. 3), when a game is scheduled as the Gilmer Pine Tree game was on Thursday, Aug. 26, in Zero Week.

For Gilmer, that allowed them an open date the week before Bi-District championships started.

This year it is Gilmer-Longview Pine Tree on Thursday, Aug. 25, Tyler-John Tyler vs Texarkana-Texas High Friday, Aug. 26, and two games on Saturday, Aug. 27, Wylie vs The Colony at 4 p.m. and Tyler Lee vs Hollywood FA Chaminade-Madonna at 8 p.m.

slpybear the bullfan
04-05-2005, 09:16 PM
Hmmm... I get it... sort of. Seems to me everything earlier than week 1 is just preseason.

LOL, after reading some of the bills before the house in Austin, perhaps I should create a bill to delete the term "zero week"!