PDA

View Full Version : School to start Sept 6th

Green Ranger
04-04-2005, 10:40 AM
Just told that school is probably going to start Sept 6th under the new House Bill 2 draft. It can be found at www.fortworthisd.org then click on HB2 Draft on the middle of the page. Under this draft we will start Sept 6th, have one week for Christmas and end June 6th.

Ranger Mom
04-04-2005, 10:43 AM
When I was in school, (ya know, back in the old days) we always started after Labor Day. I don't remember us ever going into June for the last days of school.

Do the kids just go to school more days a year now than they used to??

HighSchool Fan
04-04-2005, 10:44 AM
i thought that i heard somewhere that a school could petition to start earlier. anyone else hear this??

pirate44
04-04-2005, 10:44 AM
Originally posted by Ranger Mom
When I was in school, (ya know, back in the old days) we always started after Labor Day. I don't remember us ever going into June for the last days of school.

my days too.

HighSchool Fan
04-04-2005, 10:46 AM
When I was in school, (ya know, back in the old days)

i'm just proud that you can remember that far back :p :kiss: :p

ours started after labor day and ended at the end of may also.

Green Ranger
04-04-2005, 10:47 AM
Yes they can petition, but that is looking doubtful, especially in Texas the three hottest weeks one could say would be late july and August. Only thing I think that needs to be worked out is how UIL will handle the football schedule. As it is now you are not suppose to play prior to school starting. If that is the case, probably UIL will go back to two teams in the play-offs as well as maybe no off weeks. Curios to see what comes of it.

Ranger Mom
04-04-2005, 10:48 AM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
i'm just proud that you can remember that far back :p :kiss: :p

ours started after labor day and ended at the end of may also.

:tongue: :tongue:

HA HA HA!

We know I at least remember back to 2nd grade anyway.;)

big daddy russ
04-04-2005, 10:48 AM
Heck, I'm only 25 and I can remember starting school in September every year until like 5th or 6th grade. The school year just kept getting longer after that and when I graduated back in 98 we were starting in the middle of August and not getting out until late May.

LH Panther Mom
04-04-2005, 10:49 AM

I remember my birthday (8/27) always being a day or two after school started, but I have no recollection when we got out. :thinking:

Schools are now required to have 180 days in session. A few years ago, the option existed to have students a minimum of 175 days, and counting 5 teacher in-service days as the remainder. I don't know if that option has changed statewide, but do know that our school stopped taking the option 2 or 3 years ago.

Phil C
04-04-2005, 11:43 AM
I'm showing my age but back in my day it didn't start until September 1st and we got out about May 25th each year. Talk about a great summer vacation. We didn't even think of school till about August 1st when stores had back to school sales. Of course registration was in the latter part of August though.

JasperDog94
04-04-2005, 12:57 PM
In the late 80's and early 90's the number of days in schools increased.....a lot. Now, students are in school 177 days and teachers work 187 days. That's the problem. The legislature kept increasing the days students were in school. You have to either add those days to the start of school or the end. Heaven forbid that we reduce the amount of time that students are in school.:eek:

kaorder1999
04-04-2005, 02:22 PM
whats crazy is this. If school starts Sept. 6 and the school has a Zero week game then two games will have been played before school starts. WOW

mwynn05
04-04-2005, 02:30 PM
Originally posted by Green Ranger
Yes they can petition, but that is looking doubtful, especially in Texas the three hottest weeks one could say would be late july and August. Only thing I think that needs to be worked out is how UIL will handle the football schedule. As it is now you are not suppose to play prior to school starting. If that is the case, probably UIL will go back to two teams in the play-offs as well as maybe no off weeks. Curios to see what comes of it. I highly doubt the UIL would og back to 2 playoff teams considering 5a just added a 4th team.

JasperDog94
04-04-2005, 02:32 PM
Originally posted by mwynn05
I highly doubt the UIL would og back to 2 playoff teams considering 5a just added a 4th team. I agree. That's not gonna happen.

Green Ranger
04-04-2005, 02:47 PM
They are going to have to do something. If they bend the rule this year, there are not suppose to be any games/scrimmages prior to first day of school. Now throw in Sept 6th, schools that go far enough into the play-offs will be playing through Christmas. Be in drop the number of teams that make the play-offs or cutting preseason games, teams look like they might be playing in January.

punt
04-04-2005, 03:03 PM
I could see the powers that be cutting out 1 or 2 games. We have lots of holidays we didn't have years ago. A week at T-giving, a day or 2 for the county fair, 2 1/2 weeks at Christmas, week at spring break plus Easter holidays. I personaly don't like to see schools starting the first half of August. The legislature is putting the screws to education from every angle. I would like to see passing the exit TAKS be a requirement for all legislators and the Governor or at least post their scores.

lepfan
04-04-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by punt
I would like to see passing the exit TAKS be a requirement for all legislators and the Governor or at least post their scores.

I second that!! It would prove the point that some are not worthy of the space they are using.

JasperDog94
04-04-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Green Ranger
there are not suppose to be any games/scrimmages prior to first day of school. Sure there are. Most schools have scrimmages before the beginning of school.

If you take out the bye week, then problem solved. No need to cut the schedule down or eliminate playoff teams. Going down to 2 playoff teams wouldn't help anyway. You would still have just as many games unless you still had 2 divisions and only let 1 per division in the playoffs.

Holmes_Fans
04-04-2005, 03:55 PM
I hate going to school after Memorial day at the the end of the school year. Always ruins my lakehouse relaxing plans. Thankfully we get out before.

JasperDog94
04-04-2005, 03:56 PM
Originally posted by punt
I would like to see passing the exit TAKS be a requirement for all legislators and the Governor or at least post their scores. And I think their salaries should be based on how they do. That's what they're trying to do to teachers.:p

lepfan
04-04-2005, 04:30 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
And I think their salaries should be based on how they do. That's what they're trying to do to teachers.:p

Not just their salaries...but their retirement plans too!!!!

injuredinmelee
04-04-2005, 09:17 PM
if it delays the start of HS FOOTBALL im against it. The timer on my cell phone has been counting down for 4 months now.

GOFOR2
04-04-2005, 09:56 PM
the more our legislature gets involved in the school affairs, the more they screw things up.

Adidas410s
04-04-2005, 11:15 PM
Originally posted by injuredinmelee
if it delays the start of HS FOOTBALL im against it. The timer on my cell phone has been counting down for 4 months now.

Bring your cell phone to Cingular...they can set multiple timers for you so that you can have "every angle covered!" :rolleyes: :rolleyes:

TOPS1435
04-04-2005, 11:39 PM
When Texas was dependent upon the cotton culture, school started about Oct. 1, after the kids had helped pick the cotton, and then let out in April so the kids could help plant the cotton.

In the summer, they got to "chop cotton", clear the weeds away from the plants, until the summer heat took over about July. The the crops were "laid by" and they could have revivals and district court and other fun until late August when the picking started the 12-14 hour days. (No lakes in Texas then, except for Caddo Lake on the Texas-Louisiana border.)

In 1948, with the Gilmer-Akin laws the school year expanded to 180 days, of which 175 were counted for Average Daily Attendance (A.D.A.'s) to calculated how much the state paid toward the local school's expenses. That's when they mandated that white women would be paid the same as white men who had the same amount of education. ("Colored teachers" had a separate pay scale.) The other five days could be used for snow days, flu, measles outbreaks, or in the case of Nov. 1963, the President's funeral.

A major difference between the starts after Labor Day after 1948 and now, is that most of the schools did not end the first term until two weeks after Christmas. There was no spring break until the 1960s. Thanksgiving holidays were Thursday-Fri-Sat-Sunday.
Easter holiday was Good Friday and Easter Monday. While my graduation day was May 31 and I started after Labor Day, never heard of Spring Break until my senior year in college.

Boy, oh, boy, if they pass this manditory start after Sept. 6, that surely will wreck havoc on the East Texas Kick-Off Classic and other early mulit-football night events which have been contracted already!!!!