PDA

View Full Version : How STUPID!!!!

Ranger Mom
04-04-2005, 08:32 AM
I heard this on Bob and Tom coming into work this morning....I googled it, and sure enought, it's true! (I hope me writing this in RED doesn't "stress" anyone out!
:rolleyes:

WASHINGTON — Of all the things that can make a person see red, school principal Gail Karwoski was not expecting parents to get huffy about, well, seeing red.

At Daniels Farm Elementary School in Trumbull, Conn., Karwoski's teachers grade papers by giving examples of better answers for those students who make mistakes. But that approach meant the kids often found their work covered in red, the color that teachers long have used to grade work.

Parents objected. Red writing, they said, was “stressful.”

So the school put red on the blacklist. Blue and other colors are in.

“It's not an argument we want to have at this point because what we need is the parents' understanding,” Karwoski said. “The color of the message should not be the issue.”

In many other schools, it's black and white when it comes to red. The color has become so symbolic of negativity that some principals and teachers will not touch it.

“You could hold up a paper that says ‘Great work!' and it won't even matter if it's written in red,” said Joseph Foriska, principal of Thaddeus Stevens Elementary in Pittsburgh.

He has instructed his teachers to grade with colors featuring more “pleasant-feeling tones.”

At Public School 188 in Manhattan, 25-year-old teacher Justin Kazmark grades with purple, which has emerged as a new color of choice for many educators, pen manufacturers confirm.

“My generation was brought up on right or wrong with no in between, and red was always in your face,” Kazmark said. “It's abrasive to me. Purple is just a little bit more gentle".

Phil C
04-04-2005, 08:41 AM
That's like moving your safety to cornerback where you are weak because he is a great defensive halfback and know your cornerback woes will be solved. The trouble is now you have a weakness at defensive safety. :)

LH Panther Mom
04-04-2005, 08:41 AM
WAAH!!! http://www.smilieland.com/graphics/Baby_schreiend.gif

pirate44
04-04-2005, 08:48 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
That's like moving your safety to cornerback where you are weak because he is a great defensive halfback and know your cornerback woes will be solved. The trouble is now you have a weakness at defensive safety. :)
lol. good one Phil C

But Phil C, we must remember that red is the color of stripes which stands for valor and bravery on our U.S. flag. therefore the ink for denoting errors should be different as to not confuse idiotic screw-ups for valor

44INAROW
04-04-2005, 08:53 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
WAAH!!! http://www.smilieland.com/graphics/Baby_schreiend.gif

I couldn't have said it better myself :weeping: :weeping:

HighSchool Fan
04-04-2005, 08:54 AM
i wonder if Marlin Fan has his papers graded in Pink :D

kaorder1999
04-04-2005, 09:43 AM
that freaking makes me sick. The public school system is giving in to things that shouldbn't even be a concern. School kids are so freaking babied now a days and people wonder why they cant make it through college. High School is meant to teach kids things that make them better citizens in the future. They are going to be told they are wrong a lot. Supervisers are going to be mean to them and theya rent going to make it because they are being babied.

Major Payne said it best..."Take your (.)(.) out the boys mouth and let him grow up!"

Bandera YaYa
04-04-2005, 09:43 AM
I know, I know......seems like everyday something else is made out to be "wrong'...things we grew up with....but I have to admit....seeing "red x's and red circles " on school papers always made me cringe....and when I read this thread, I was saying in my head.....See !!! :)

Rabbit'93
04-04-2005, 09:48 AM
In 50 yrs people will be complaining about purple being "stressful"

big daddy russ
04-04-2005, 10:37 AM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
In 50 yrs people will be complaining about purple being "stressful"
I wonder if they'll go back to red then, or if a new color will become all the rage. Fuschia maybe?

pirate4state
04-04-2005, 12:36 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999
that freaking makes me sick. The public school system is giving in to things that shouldbn't even be a concern. School kids are so freaking babied now a days and people wonder why they cant make it through college. High School is meant to teach kids things that make them better citizens in the future. They are going to be told they are wrong a lot. Supervisers are going to be mean to them and theya rent going to make it because they are being babied.

Major Payne said it best..."Take your (.)(.) out the boys mouth and let him grow up!" :clap: I think my exact thought was, "Jesus Christ! What next?" :hand: :mad:

The nation is raising a bunch of cry babies on dope. :rolleyes:

LH Panther Mom
04-04-2005, 12:38 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
I wonder if they'll go back to red then, or if a new color will become all the rage. Fuschia maybe?

I'm thinking either baby blue or possibly even invisible ink.

lepfan
04-04-2005, 12:45 PM
Why grade? :rolleyes: Just let them try to figure out what mistakes were made.

Maybe they could just read the teacher's mind....on second thought that might not be such a good idea.....

BullFrog Dad
04-04-2005, 12:58 PM
Originally posted by Rabbit'93
In 50 yrs people will be complaining about purple being "stressful" In 50 years there will be no wrong answers.

Bandera YaYa
04-04-2005, 01:00 PM
Originally posted by kaorder1999

Major Payne said it best..."Take your (.)(.) out the boys mouth and let him grow up!" I certainly agree with everything you said......it's a mean old world out there and ya better be prepared for it's ups and downs and the unfairness that's just part of the ride.....BUT, the article said it was the PARENTS of the elementry kids that complained....so I guess it's the twenty and thirty something year old "kids" that are being the babies....... :p :eek: :D

JasperDog94
04-04-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
In 50 years there will be no wrong answers.

What do you mean if 50 years?:rolleyes: ;)