PDA

View Full Version : Manor's HC/AD Cowan Retires

ILS1
04-01-2005, 08:53 PM
Friday, April 01, 2005

Manor's Cowan calling it a career

Manor's Don Cowan, a popular and successful football coach in Texas for the past 35 years, will retire at the end of the school year.

Cowan, 57, has been at Manor for the past nine years as varsity coach and athletics director. He also coached at Thorndale, winning three state championships and eight district titles in 11 seasons, and at Lake Travis for four years. His career record is 176-97-4.

"The bond between the coaches, players and me is a strong one, and I will truly miss it," Cowan said. "I'm very proud of the athletic program here at Manor and of the shape in which I'm leaving it. Our numbers (of participation) in every sport are at the highest levels that they've been in since I arrived here."

Last season's football team was ranked No. 1 in the state in Class 3A before stumbling to a 4-6 record. The boys basketball team went unbeaten in District 19-3A for the third straight year.

Cowan said his greatest accomplishment came in Manor classrooms. Between 1999 and 2002, he estimated up to 40 percent of Manor athletes were ruled academically ineligible. In the last three years, that figure has dropped to 5 percent.

"The entire coaching staff here has been a huge factor in getting that done," Cowan said.

Don Cowan Retires (www.statesman.com/sports/content/sports/stories/other/03/1prepleftrail.html)