PDA

View Full Version : Cuero's Cooper commits to Aggies (Victoria Advocate Artical)

Gobbla2001
04-01-2005, 06:18 PM
(NOTE: In the origional post title I spelled Article 'ArticAL', someone shoot me now)

http://www.thevictoriaadvocate.com/ips_rich_content/YOAKUM_CUERO_FBALL_04.jpg
Cuero running back Latrael Cooper has committed to Texas A&M after sitting out all of last season with a torn anterior, lateral and posterior ligaments in his knee.

April 1, 2005
MIKE FORMAN
Advocate Sports Writer

CUERO - Cuero running back Latrael Cooper isn't ready to step back out on the football field, but he's getting closer.

Cooper was cleared to run last week, and he will travel to San Antonio today to have the final screw removed from the left knee he injured on the first play of Cuero's scrimmage against Gregory-Portland last season.

As Cooper continues his rehabilitation, he will not only be preparing for his senior season, he'll also be looking forward to 2006.

Cooper announced a commitment Thursday to accept a football scholarship from Texas A&M.

"I thought it over," Cooper said. "I took everything and broke it down. When it came down to it, the best fit was A&M. I decided I want to be an Aggie."

Cooper has also received offers from Texas and Oklahoma State, but was impressed when he visited College Station during A&M's "junior day."

"The facilities were awesome," Cooper said. "The coaching staff was really nice. They believe in their athletes' ability to do their work. They provide tutors and help you out in every way. That's important because I'm going there to get an education. I was impressed with the whole athletic program and coach (Dennis) Franchione is great."

Cooper was the Newcomer of the Year on the Advocate's all-area team as a sophomore in 2003 when he rushed for 1,268 yards and 18 touchdowns. He also ran a time of 10.62 seconds in the 100-meter dash for the Cuero track team.

But Cooper, who was considered among the top high school running backs in the state, was sidelined when the Gobblers advanced to the Class 3A, Division I state final last season after tearing the anterior, lateral, and posterior ligaments in his knee.

Cooper underwent surgery and began rehabbing as soon as the immobilizer was removed from his knee. He has spent up to three hours a day, five days a week working with physical therapist Tod Gann, and has put on about 10 pounds of muscle.

"He's doing real well," Gann said of Cooper, who stands 6-foot-2 and currently weighs about 215 pounds. "He's definitely projected to hit the ground running in August. In time, he should regain all of the things he had that made him such a great running back. He should do fine. He has the desire, and he'll do well."

Cuero athletic director and head football coach Mark Reeve knows Cooper, who has already achieved a qualifying score on his college entrance exam, put a lot of thought into his decision.

"That's what he wants to do," Reeve said. "I know he's going to have a lot of offers. Of course, like any coach, I'd like to see him stay in the state of Texas. I know he had some good choices. Latrael's a guy who usually knows what he wants. If he feels good about his decision, that's what I want."

Cooper, who has already been invited to participate in a high school all-star game in Florida in January, promises his commitment to A&M won't alter his work habits.

"Everything is going great," Cooper said. "I can't stop now. I've got to keep working hard."

-----

My own personal feelings are 'I wish it would have been Texas'...

YET, I am just so happy for this guy, he had to sit out every regular season, district AND playoff game last year and take a motivational roll...

Though we went 14-1 without him, there is not a soul in Cuero who does not ask themselves 'What would it have been like'?...

However, I wouldn't trade this past season for anything in the world... IT was awesome seeing these guys play together through the tough times...

Latreal was not the only RB we missed, his backup, also a junior this past season, did not play but one game as well, and is also coming back this season... We lost two starting linebackers as well before the second game of the season... Add all of those up and you have players playing positions they were not supposed to be playing and a couple of players who were not expected to go both ways having to go both ways...

I was really proud of this team this year...

But it was only the beginning of something special... And the end is WAY out of site...

AggieJohn
04-01-2005, 06:30 PM
honestly fran is really personal, he remembers kids parents and he'll talk to them about their progress...he's very personable to his players

HighSchool Fan
04-01-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
honestly fran is really personal, he remembers kids parents and he'll talk to them about their progress...he's very personable to his players

i wonder if he tells the parents that in a couple of years he's gonna leave to coach somewhere else.