PDA

View Full Version : Russell resigns at Pilot Point

HighSchool Fan
04-01-2005, 06:06 PM
PILOT POINT -- Mike Russell will not be on the Pilot Point sidelines next fall.

The future Pilot Point football coach and coordinator of athletics resigned before coaching his first game. Russell, who was hired in January to replace retiring coach G.A. Moore, submitted his resignation Tuesday morning to Pilot Point ISD Supt. Cloyce Purcell.

"It was just the thing to do right now," Russell said Tuesday. "I'm just not comfortable in the situation right now."

Russell expanded on his reasons for resigning Wednesday.

"I was told things were going to be a certain way and they weren't that way. I was told I would have say in decisions and things would take place that are not taking place."

In his letter of resignation, Russell simply stated he would be resigning from all positions with the district effective at the end of the school year. Russell's resignation followed the school board not taking action on several boys coaches contracts during its meeting Mar. 24.

"It may have played a role," Russell said. "I'm not sure if they were acted on or not. It looks like most of them have a job."

Russell was scheduled to assume the head coach and athletics coordinator role on July 1, after Moore officially retired. Moore, the state's all-time leader in career victories, announced he would retire in December after 42 seasons and 412 victories.

Russell was the head football coach at Gainesville from 1988-98. He compiled an overall record of 86-43-1 and made the playoffs eight out of 11 seasons.

turbostud
04-01-2005, 08:47 PM
Sounds like it could be rough sailing for PP. Hope their football team can survive.

Leopards,class of 75
04-02-2005, 01:19 PM
Did coach Russell get a better offer or did they blame him for all the bad stuff going on at P.P.?

HighSchool Fan
04-02-2005, 01:35 PM
from what i have heard, he doesn't have any offers on the table