what is the "look back" rule?

ttt

rockdale80
03-31-2005, 09:06 PM
where is phil when i need him

crzyjournalist03
03-31-2005, 09:21 PM
essentially, the look back rule can be explained like this:

When a pitcher receives a ball in the circle after a play and there is a runner on the basepaths, the runner must decide to either attempt to advance to the next base or return to the base that the runner currently occupies. Once the pitcher looks at the runner if the runner is off of the base, the runner has one second to make that decision. Either the runner must advance or retreat, but they can't just stand there...if they start one way, they commit to go that way and can't change their mind. If the runner does not make an effort to advance either forward or backward toward a base, the umpire may then call hesitation and that runner is declared out. It's actually a pretty complicated rule, but that's probably one of the most simple ways to describe it. If a pitcher has the ball and looks at a runner who is off of a base, the pitcher then "looks back" the runner to a base. 3afan could probably do a better job describing it, but I don't have my rulebook with me here in Denton.

neck_06
03-31-2005, 09:27 PM
watered down version
(for all of you who don't really watch softball)

it has something to do with the pitcher....when she has the ball and is in the circle.... if the runner is off the bag and the pitcher looks at her without making a play ....and the runner makes a move to one base and then goes back to the other....the runner can be called out. You dont see it called much.

jason
03-31-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by neck_06
You dont see it called much. you dont see it that often in varsity ball, little league and jv has it happen quite often though...

3afan could give you more info than u prolly care about lol...

rockdale80
03-31-2005, 09:47 PM
thanks for the info....until i read about it happening to the rockdale girls i had never heard of it before