PDA

View Full Version : Kennedale VS Vernon

SNUFFY
12-01-2003, 01:01 PM
ANY THOUGHTS ON THIS GAME, OR PICKS

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-01-2003, 01:07 PM
Let me tell you about my Vernon Lions!

Vernon is a very deceptive team. Not all that big and not all that fast. But just a darn good football team. They haven't just thumped teams this year, score wise that is. What Vernon has is several fold:

1) This team has a very good defense that will straight lay the wood. These kids aren't that big but they fly to the ball on defense and hit someone. They seem to submit to the "bend but don't break" philosophy.

2) There are no star players on this team. They all do their job. They all hold their own although it is nice to have a star on the team, the players just take care of their jobs.

3) Good coaching! The coaches come in with good game plans and make great adjustments at half time. The coaches motivate the players to execute their game plan. Can't say enough about coaching look at what Parcells has done.

4) They have flown under the radar this year. These kids have been underdogs all year and I think it motivates them. Finally they should be in the top ten of 3A with only 8 teams left in DII.

They have a nice rushing attack and like to spread the ball around between their HB, FB, WB and QB all getting about the same number of carries. They have had a bit of trouble the last several weeks scoring points, but I have to say that Decatur and Sweetwater both had great defenses.

I have said this before and Kennedale posters will remember the Ballinger team of last year. That team reminds me of Vernon this year.

They have played a common opponent in Iowa Park. Vernon beat them in overtime but lost a 21 point 4th quarter lead. Vernon also got some bad calls and some bad spots on in that quarter. If it could have went wrong it did for Vernon in that 8 minute stretch. Vernon has been improving each game and is peaking at the right time.

No predictions from me other than hoping for an injury free and good game.

repeat2002
12-01-2003, 02:14 PM
I think that Vernon has some of the attributes of a successful play-off team
1. They have won a couple of games that maybe they shouldn't have - Decatur and maybe Sweetwater
2. They have won the games they should have
3. They have a good team that plays as such - no "stars" - just a bunch of pretty good football players
4. They have a decent defense that is able to adjust to the style of football that their opponents bring into games
5. They have a play-off type of offense - time control

I think Kennedale also has some attributes of a successful play-off team
1. They have won the games they should have won - all of them up to this point
2. They might have a few more "stars" than Vernon - but they may be attributed to the metroplex media more than anything - however their stars play really well within their system and pass the wealth around quite well
3. Their defense is good - not great - but it doesn't usually have to be great - sometimes overlooked - not a bad thing though 'cause they will win a game or two
4. If need be they also have a time control type of offense

All of these things considered I would probably have to take Kennedale in a closer they some may think, contest. I think the Wildcats just have too much speed for Vernon and I think Vernon is way too one-demensional. Kennedale will be able to sell out totally to stopping the run because the Lions will not throw the ball enough to back them off.

Kennedale 27 Vernon 14

Good 'ole West Texas Wing T football game

vet93
12-01-2003, 02:26 PM
A lot of people poopoo the Wing-T offense in favor of the fashionable spread offenses, but the wing-T can be a very hard offense to stop when run right. It is very versatile and can support both a run or pass-oriented offense. Kennedale runs the wing-t about as well as anyone that I have seen. Their Ball-fakes are very deceptive and they do spread the ball around. It takes a good, hard-nosed, bend but not break type of defense to play against the wing-t. Vernon has this type of defense. I think that the question is how well that Vernon can contend with the speed of the Wildcats.

heck
12-01-2003, 02:51 PM
My regards so Vernon. They beat us. It was a good game if you like defense and real old fashion football. Best of luck the rest of the way.

CatsDen
12-01-2003, 03:19 PM
I would expect more of the same from Kennedale. Rex and Weldon have done a fantastic job this year and seem to be getting better with each game. Weldon ran with more power and determination than I've ever seen and Rex seems to be getting faster as the playoffs progress. Kennedale made it this far on the wheels of Rex and Weldon...I don't expect them to kick the wheels off now!

CatsDen
12-01-2003, 03:25 PM
It's good to see the defense playing so strong lately. JD, Bruffy, Hemphill, and Marcos have all been impressive through the first 3 rounds.

Ranger Mom
12-01-2003, 03:28 PM
I am so excited!! I may actually be going to this one!

Would someone please verify date and time of the game for me please.

I can't leave Midland until around noon Saturday, so I will be cutting it close if the game starts at 6:00!

Catfan
12-01-2003, 03:30 PM
Keeping it "krunk" has been the saying all year, cream rises to the top. The kids feel it in their heart, and want this more than anything. I have kept up with both these teams and have seen this match up coming for sometime. Vernon indeed has a balanced game, size wise about that of Kennedale, hard hitting as the wildcats, not the speed of Kennedale on either side of the ball, but close. Skill positions and execution will tell the tale of this game, both want it and should be an outstanding game. I expect both teams to step it up yet another notch. If past common and semi common opponents are any indication what-so-ever look for the outcome:

Kennedale 20
Vernon 14

JustAFan
12-01-2003, 03:30 PM
RangerMom -
Game is at 6:00 PM on Saturday at Birdville Stadium in North Richland Hills (north side of Fort Worth).

Ranger Mom
12-01-2003, 03:35 PM
JustAFan:
RangerMom -
Game is at 6:00 PM on Saturday at Birdville Stadium in North Richland Hills (north side of Fort Worth).How is the best way to get there coming in from I-20?? My husband will be driving - not me! :D

JustAFan
12-01-2003, 04:08 PM
The Fort Worth Star-Telegram map of all stadiums gives these directions:

Take US 183 to Precint Line Road. Go North on Precinct Line to Mid-Cities Blvd and the Stadium is on the left.

From your direction the easiest way would be I-20 to 820 North around to 183 north then follow the directions. If you want to use MapBlaster or something like it, the address for the stadium is 9100 MidCities Blvd., North Richland Hills, TX.

VWG
12-01-2003, 08:42 PM
Kennedale is clearly the favorite on paper. Don't underestimate Vernon's team speed.
They have some kids that can fly, and yes, they will come and smack you on defense.
I think the game comes down to ball control and who wins the trench battles. I don't see this as a track meet.
Just for grins, I'll say Vernon 13 Kennedale 7.

fury900
12-01-2003, 09:22 PM
http://www.collier-sharp.com/dec53.html
DIVISION 1 SEMIFINALS
#13 Abilene Wylie vs #6 Gainesville (13)
#10 Jasper vs #2 Burnet (20)

DIVISION 2 QUARTERFINALS
#22 Vernon vs #21 Kennedale (1)
(8) #1 Gilmer vs #4 Atlanta

(4) #3 Bellville vs #5 Marlin
#34 Port Isabel vs #8 Rice Consolidated (15)

wildcat #40
12-01-2003, 09:34 PM
Vernon's defense is very good. We will have a pretty hard time with them, but I still think with the way that Kennedale has been playing all year long it will be a good test for us. Vernon's offense is not bad either. Most people don't think about Vernon's offense but they are good too. This will also be a good test for our defense. All in all I think it will come down too who does what they are supposed to do and who makes the least mistakes. I will say Kennedale 24 Vernon 14.

Knightmoon
12-01-2003, 10:49 PM
The way I see this one-- If Vernon has enough offense to score, it will be a close game. Kennedale is going to score points that is a given. If Vernon, can't find the offensive consistency, Kennedale will walk away with this one.Kennedale has tremendous speed and great blocking. Vernon will need to play their defensive game, slow them down and put points on the board. Kennedale grinds out methodic drives and controls the clock. I think this should be a great game because, I think Vernon can force some turnovers and control the clock as well. Good luck to both, it should be a fun one to watch.

GlenRosePoster
12-01-2003, 11:01 PM
You can not stop Kennedale's offense, you can only hope to contain them. Vernon's defense may be very good, but no one has held Kennedale under 25 all year. In order to beat Kennedale you have to score atleast 25 on them and I don't see Vernon being able to do that, especially being a heavy run team like Vernon. With the clock the whole time, if Vernon falls behind they don't have a quick strike offense to bring them back into it, their all about ball control.

I may be underestimating Vernon's defense. I know they are a very good defense, but it seems like no one has stopped Kdale offense and noone will.
I'll take Kennedale 21-7

Knightmoon
12-01-2003, 11:33 PM
Merkel had the defense to beat Kennedale, but seriously lacked offensive consistency which had plagued them all year. Vernon's defense is rock solid. Kennedale's offensive machine will be seriously hindered in this game and will have their toughest game of the year. Without a doubt, Kennedale has alot of speed. Vernon has the capability to take away Kenndale's big plays. I didn't see the game, but watched several highlights of the Vernon/Sweetwater game. Vernon's defense is like a swarm. Again, if Vernon can move the ball consistently, they can win this game. NO TURNOVERS, methodic drives, score, WIN!!! Good luck to both teams-- It should be great game. Anybody that is picking Kennedale to win this one big...maybe, but I think they better set their sights a little lower.

SwtwtrMstngs04
12-02-2003, 09:34 AM
This will be a very good game. Vernon is a good team but i think Kennedale will take them in the long run. Kennedale by 14.

BrainDamage
12-02-2003, 09:55 AM
It has been said once and will be said many times... "this game will come down to who makes the least mistakes" Be it jumping off sides and causing a 3rd and 3 when it was a 3rd and 8 while on D or jumping when its 4th and 1 on O. I think both teams will definitly be working on cutting down on mistakes even more. Kennedale had their first game without a defensive penalty and want to do it again.

Kennedale 27
Vernon 21

vet93
12-02-2003, 10:23 AM
Here is how you beat Kennedale.....Pray! Just kidding! Any team can be beat, the difficulty is finding a plan that will work and having the players that can carry out the plan. In my opinion the way to beat a team like Kennedale is to 1) Swarm to the ball 2) Limit the big plays over 30 yards 3) Make them make long sustained drives and play very good red-zone defense in hopes that they will make a mistake. Then on offense you have to make just enough big plays to win and not turn over the ball. Ballinger used this plan to perfection last year in their upset of Kennedale. Kennedale will say that they had an off game, but you can't tell me that they didn't have an off game on any of the earlier games where they STILL racked up 40 points. Last year few Kennedale posters gave Ballinger credit for executing and carrying out a gameplan that negated an overwhelming speed advantage. It is this type of effort and taking advantage of any Wildcat Mistakes that can give Vernon a victory...anything is possible. However, there are some differences from last year. One, I think that Kennedale has a better defense than last years. Two, they seem to be more focused and mature than last year. Possibly due to senior leadership. Three, they may have gotten that stinker game out of their system already (Glen Rose). I think that Kennedale has to be the favorite in this game but if Vernon does the above on defense and Kennedale makes some mistakes, then Vernon could pull off the upset.

mjbf
12-02-2003, 10:47 AM
It's the 4th round of the playoffs! There are no prohibitive favorites. Either team can win. Vernon is very good and so is Kennedale. From all reports the two teams are very similar,i.e. good speed, quickness, discipline, etc. A break here or there could determine the game.

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-02-2003, 01:28 PM
GlenRosePoster:
You can not stop Kennedale's offense, you can only hope to contain them. Vernon's defense may be very good, but no one has held Kennedale under 25 all year. In order to beat Kennedale you have to score atleast 25 on them and I don't see Vernon being able to do that, especially being a heavy run team like Vernon. With the clock the whole time, if Vernon falls behind they don't have a quick strike offense to bring them back into it, their all about ball control.

I may be underestimating Vernon's defense. I know they are a very good defense, but it seems like no one has stopped Kdale offense and noone will.
I'll take Kennedale 21-7I agree in part with what you say. If Kennedale jumps out and gets ahead of Vernon by a couple of scores it would be hard for Vernon to get back in it due to their type of ground game. For what it is worth, Decatur, a high powered offense scored 21 against Vernon. That was their lowest point total all year and they averaged 35 points per game.

Vernon averages about 28 points a game on offense. So If Kennedale puts up more than that it will be tough on Vernon. I have a feeling that this will not be some shootout game.

It will be neat to see two Wing T teams face off. I am especially anxious to see Kennedale's version. That particular offense is so hard to tell who has the ball! Vernon has got to get their offense going like they did against Brady. I'm thinking that Kennedale has a better defense than Brady so it could be an uphill battle for my Lions. I also agree that they have to play mistake free football to stay in this one.

Problem Solver
12-02-2003, 01:45 PM
Ballinger, Ballinger Ballinger, man that word is always thrown in Kennedale's face for the last time they didnt stop Kennedale, Kennedale fumbled something like 5 times and still raked up 450 plus yards offense. Ballinger was a very good team but it's 2003 now so who cares for the last time. Thanks for giving Kennedale some credit in your later post but Kennedale's players know that the 3a downlow is waiting for them to get beat so the talking can get fired back up. I havent seen some of the traditional names logged in that down play Kennedale things like that district is week o.k.......so no kidding, lets see what else mmmmmm Everman's defense didnt have the right people playing and its early..o.k.....so, man did you see glen rose pass all over Kennedale they arent any good........ok.....so, Kennedale always choke in the playoffs even though they have been to the 4th round twice in three years and that's choking hell some coaches never reach that deep in 30 years to that comment I say....ok.......so.....why so because they are doing just fine now! Kennedale still has lots of work to do and the kids really seem focus I hope they stay off this board and let guys like me from the outside do all the talking for them. I GOT YOUR BACK.

vet93
12-02-2003, 03:19 PM
First...I was VERY complimentary of Kennedale and in earlier posts picked them as the favorite for the region...If you want proof go look to the DII bracket that I selected on the "Predict It" thread. On many occassions I have told people how good Kennedale was last year and this year. So....I think that I have been very complimentary and respectful toward the wildcats. Second, Ballinger's redzone defense was very good against Kennedale. Kennedale did very well between the twenties but either fumbled or bogged down on numerous occassions when it really counts inside the twenty. Now, most fans would say that we made some mistakes but give props to Ballinger for making the plays and doing what few other teams could do to Kennedale. But not the Kennedale fans...NO...the only thing that you guys could say in your egomanical little world is tell everbody how good you were and how Ballinger got Lucky (an exception was LadyKat and one other poster from Kennedale). I will not dispute the fact that Kennedale had a bunch more kids on the sideline and that you had a bunch more talent on the field...that is why it is even more a slap in the face to you guys that you got beat by a puny little 3a school that has less than half of your enrollment and hasn't had a kid go to a DI college in about twenty years.

Problem Solver:
Ballinger, Ballinger Ballinger, man that word is always thrown in Kennedale's face for the last time they didnt stop Kennedale, Kennedale fumbled something like 5 times and still raked up 450 plus yards offense. Ballinger was a very good team but it's 2003 now so who cares for the last time. Thanks for giving Kennedale some credit in your later post but Kennedale's players know that the 3a downlow is waiting for them to get beat so the talking can get fired back up. I havent seen some of the traditional names logged in that down play Kennedale things like that district is week o.k.......so no kidding, lets see what else mmmmmm Everman's defense didnt have the right people playing and its early..o.k.....so, man did you see glen rose pass all over Kennedale they arent any good........ok.....so, Kennedale always choke in the playoffs even though they have been to the 4th round twice in three years and that's choking hell some coaches never reach that deep in 30 years to that comment I say....ok.......so.....why so because they are doing just fine now! Kennedale still has lots of work to do and the kids really seem focus I hope they stay off this board and let guys like me from the outside do all the talking for them. I GOT YOUR BACK.

bleedgreen
12-02-2003, 05:11 PM
Problem Solver check your PM's.

wildcat #40
12-03-2003, 08:48 PM
I agree that anything can happen in the 4th round of the playoffs, but I still think that K-town will take this one. Like I said before they will have to play mistake free football and not have turnovers. As for Ballinger, that was last year. You need to lay off of that. I mean it is getting pretty old. We dominated Ballinger in every stat. The only thing that stopped us from winning that game was that we fummbled the ball 5 times in the red zone. Since yall bring this up so much and we get reminded of it we will make sure that their won't be a repeat of last year. I think that we will take Vernon because I don't see us making mistakes again and we have prepared very well for this game. I will stick with my pick Kennedale 24 Vernon 14

Boosty_Hondo
12-03-2003, 08:56 PM
i say kennedale over vernon by 7

vet93
12-03-2003, 09:04 PM
You kids sound like a broken record. Maybe you should leave the posting to the adults from Kennedale. I have constantly given Kennedale props both this year and last...go back and read my posts. When I make a simple post about how to beat a team like Kennedale all I hear are "Oh yeah...what about the stats". Well...fumbles are part of the game. Do you think that the other team should get a little credit for causing the fumbles. Being prepared to play is part of the game too.

wildcat #40:
I agree that anything can happen in the 4th round of the playoffs, but I still think that K-town will take this one. Like I said before they will have to play mistake free football and not have turnovers. As for Ballinger, that was last year. You need to lay off of that. I mean it is getting pretty old. We dominated Ballinger in every stat. The only thing that stopped us from winning that game was that we fummbled the ball 5 times in the red zone. Since yall bring this up so much and we get reminded of it we will make sure that their won't be a repeat of last year. I think that we will take Vernon because I don't see us making mistakes again and we have prepared very well for this game. I will stick with my pick Kennedale 24 Vernon 14

Problem Solver
12-04-2003, 08:45 AM
yawn.

CatWoman
12-04-2003, 09:18 AM
wildcat #40:
I agree that anything can happen in the 4th round of the playoffs, but I still think that K-town will take this one. Like I said before they will have to play mistake free football and not have turnovers. As for Ballinger, that was last year. You need to lay off of that. I mean it is getting pretty old. We dominated Ballinger in every stat. The only thing that stopped us from winning that game was that we fummbled the ball 5 times in the red zone. Since yall bring this up so much and we get reminded of it we will make sure that their won't be a repeat of last year. I think that we will take Vernon because I don't see us making mistakes again and we have prepared very well for this game. I will stick with my pick Kennedale 24 Vernon 14I've tried not to respond, but I can't help myself. THE FINAL STAT IS WHAT COUNTS!! It was last year, but it will forever be a W for Ballinger and an L for Kennedale. Good luck the rest of the way. Kennedale has the weapons to go all the way, but Vernon has as good a chance as Kennedale. Good luck to Vernon also!

Z motion 10 out on 2
12-04-2003, 09:33 AM
I agree with Vet. Many fumbles are stripped and or caused on a pitch because the defense is all over them. Other times it is because the back gets hit so hard he drops it, or the back doesn’t protect the ball. Furthermore, stats mean absolutely nothing. It is scoring that means whether you go on or not period! It doesn't matter if those are scores by a defense, special teams or on a fumble. Hey I did make reference to Ballinger from last year because that is what this years Vernon team is like.

The fact is that Kennedale will be facing a stiff defense probably unlike they have seen this year and an offense that can grind it out on you with four quality backs. If anyone thinks that Kennedale is going to roughshod over Vernon, well lets just wait until the game to see. Several posters got on here and have said, there are no teams left in this playoff season that are not good. I agree and I think Vet does too. Kennedale is a very good football team, but so are all the others. It may be easy for a poster to predict one team over another team that they have never even seen play.

I remember two years ago Vernon was in this same position with a back like Rex. Except he had 2,500 yards at this point in the season. I just knew that Vernon was going to be the state champs that year. No one could stop our back (Bernard Scott). Perryton stopped him all night and Vernon lost. You better believe that these seniors of this Vernon team remember that.

Let someone from Iowa Park post what they think. They have played both teams. I'm from Vernon, I have a son that plays for them, and I think it will be a close game. I haven't predicted that Vernon is going to beat Kennedale or the other. But I do think that it will be a good close game. In addition, Vernon has played some very good teams this year so it won't be anything new for these boys to see a good offense or defense or both.

baddude
12-04-2003, 04:30 PM
i pick vernon just cause they were underdogs in 2 games in a row. they shot decatur out and then played a hell of a game against us. vernon by 2

wildcat #40
12-04-2003, 10:08 PM
I agree vet. Fumbles are a part of the game yes. I was just trying to say yall need to stop with the stuff about Ballinger. I mean it has been over a year and people, not just you, are still shoving that game in our faces. I wasn't trying to say that Ballinger was a bad team at all. We made mistakes last year and those are the mistake that we don't need to make this year. I am just getting tired of hearing all of that about last year. I did read your post before and you did make a comment about us being good this year and I thank you, but in your other post you said something about Ballinger and I was just saying lay off basically. Sorry about the mixup.

Knightmoon
12-05-2003, 12:20 AM
wildcat #40:
I agree vet. Fumbles are a part of the game yes. I was just trying to say yall need to stop with the stuff about Ballinger. I mean it has been over a year and people, not just you, are still shoving that game in our faces. I wasn't trying to say that Ballinger was a bad team at all. We made mistakes last year and those are the mistake that we don't need to make this year. I am just getting tired of hearing all of that about last year. I did read your post before and you did make a comment about us being good this year and I thank you, but in your other post you said something about Ballinger and I was just saying lay off basically. Sorry about the mixup.Hey Vet--sounds like their is still an open wound that needs healing. I know it was a year ago, and its ancient history--so if you Kennedale folks can admit that Ballinger might have had something to do with Kennedale's loss, we can move on. I don't think Vet was trying to rub anybody wrong, its not his style.But give me a break, if Kennedale fumbled the football 5 times, I bet the ball didn't just jump out of their hands every time. If anything, let's hope that Kennedale learned from their mistakes. Kennedale does have a good team. I witnessed it first hand last weekend. This should be a classic match-up, Kennedale's great offense vs. Vernon's extremely stingy defense. Wish I could be there. I really think it will be a close game.Good luck to Both teams.

Problem Solver
12-05-2003, 10:32 AM
Open wounds who do you think you are Pat Summerall trying to give commentation on last years game, Kennedale's fans dont have to admit anything to you , you posted that like it was an or else situation, who cares if you keep throwing it in Kennedales face we will keep writing back game genie. Ballinger beat us we have accepted that thats what you are at home getting off on, to the poeople at Ballinger yall were good no doubt but this guy from Merkel or where ever he is from what have yall done. You act like you coached Ballinger and had something to do with the game. If you know so much about offense and defense then go get a teaching degree and have at it, until leave the commentation to those professioanls on the t.v.. and get off Kennedales nuuuutttttsssss!!

JustAFan
12-05-2003, 11:38 AM
Does anybody know if this game will be broadcast on the web? I will be there, but have been asked by others.

this is the way we ball
12-05-2003, 11:53 AM
JustAFan:
Does anybody know if this game will be broadcast on the web? I will be there, but have been asked by others.JUSTAFAn go back to work!

KKB
12-05-2003, 12:24 PM
Hey, this is the way we ball, we went a long time without hearing from you. Now, you come back attacking everyone. I liked it better when you were gone!!

this is the way we ball
12-05-2003, 12:29 PM
KKB:
Hey, this is the way we ball, we went a long time without hearing from you. Now, you come back attacking everyone. I liked it better when you were gone!!I'm strong to finish,
Cause I eats me spinach,
I'm Popeye the sailor man, Popeye the sailor man.
Toot Toot

KKB
12-05-2003, 12:34 PM
Remember, from goal line to goal line the field is 100 yards long (not 95) and you must maintain possession of the ball when you cross the goal line for the score to actually count.

this is the way we ball
12-05-2003, 12:46 PM
KKB:
Remember, from goal line to goal line the field is 100 yards long (not 95) and you must maintain possession of the ball when you cross the goal line for the score to actually count.That's a low blow.

KKB
12-05-2003, 12:55 PM
Toot, toot!!