PDA

View Full Version : Bill in Legislature Regarding BCS

Phil C
03-30-2005, 10:45 AM
It was introduced by Sen. Jeff Wentworth, R - San Antonio as Senate Bill no. 1790. Basically it would keep Texas, Texas Tech, and Texas A&M from participating in the BCS playoffs until they have a national system in which at least 16 teams would compete in elimination games like Divisions 2 and 3 have. The bill even though passed will expire before BCS extends invitations for 2005 unless at least four other states pass similar bills. I think other states considering it are Alabama, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina and Washington.

Man it would be a big blow to the BCS if Texas, California, Florida, Oklahoma and Alabama passed these laws. It would water down the BCS national championship. Maybe this is what is needed to make Division 1 get its act together.

big daddy russ
03-30-2005, 03:47 PM
I like that bill. Hell, if any two of those states passed that bill it would put a huge logjam in the BCS, one that the big wigs couldn't ignore. In case you didn't notice, all of those states except Georgia and South Carolina have had at least one team reach a BCS bowl during the past five years. And with perennial top-10 UGA out of Georgia and top-25 programs Clemson and USC out of South Carolina, those are still huge blows.

JasperDog94
03-30-2005, 04:29 PM
Phil, keep us updated on that bill. I would love to see it passed.:)

LH Panther Mom
03-30-2005, 04:40 PM
I've been thinking for years that the name should be changed to BSC - big sack of crap. ;) It would be absolutely great to have a "true" national champion. :cheerl: :cheerl:

Gobbla2001
03-30-2005, 06:08 PM
Or Bull Shift Championship?

Phil C
03-30-2005, 06:37 PM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
Phil, keep us updated on that bill. I would love to see it passed.:)

I will try to keep up with it and see what happens. Even if it passes four of the other states have to pass it for it to be effective.

Gobbla2001
03-30-2005, 06:39 PM
I think the playoff system is a great idea... May not be the correct solution to all problems, but in my eyes is a better plan than the one we have...

This could really backfire though... OBVIOUSLY, the BCS is in good with the NCAA when it comes to football... So it's going to be hard to get them to sway...

Let's say Oregon, Washinton, Colorado and... uhmmmmm, South Carolina are the other four states to sign up...

The NCAA/BCS coalition would say "Okay, Oregon? not traditional powerhouses coming out of that state, same with Washington, almost the same with Colorado and though SC has a couple of traditionally great programs, they are currently not on top of their games..."

But what do they feel about UT? "You lose UT, awesome, and you lose A&M, tradition at its best, but let's forget about that, they're the ones pushing this, THEY'RE THE BAD GUYS..."

I'll bet ya nothing gets done if that happens...

However, if California, Florida, Oklahomo, Michigan etc... sign? Something will for sure get done...

Gobbla2001
03-30-2005, 06:40 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I will try to keep up with it and see what happens. Even if it passes four of the other states have to pass it for it to be effective.

The bill would end December 2nd '05 if not signed/passed whatever by atleast four other states, just in time for the BCS bowl selection...

Phil C
03-30-2005, 06:42 PM
Good point Gobbla.

Phil C
03-30-2005, 06:43 PM
Gobbla is right we need at least Oklahoma and California to be one of the other two states. If it passes in all of them so much the better.

big daddy russ
03-30-2005, 06:58 PM
I guess I could see your point on most of those Gobbla, but U-Dub has a loooong tradition. They won a national title in the 90's and are one of the two most tradition-rich schools in the PAC-10. They've been down the past five years or so, but they're still one of the "it" schools.

Now Oregon and Colorado wouldn't help much, you may be right about that.... but at least we'd take three schools away from two power conferences.

ILS1
03-30-2005, 07:15 PM
By Mike Ward

AMERICAN-STATESMAN STAFF

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

Texas' college football teams would be banned from playing in post-season championship games that are not part of a national playoff system under a bill filed today in the Texas Senate.

But the bill would expire Dec. 2, just before Bowl Championship Series bids go out, if a similar law is not enacted in at least four other states, most home to gridiron powerhouses.

The largely symbolic measure highlights growing frustration with the BCS system, in which sportswriter polls and computer rankings help determine which teams will play in the major bowl games. The University of Texas received its first BCS bid this past season when it was invited to the Rose Bowl.

Senate Bill 1790, filed by Sen. Jeff Wentworth, R-San Antonio, would prohibit Texas' NCAA teams from playing in "an intercollegiate post-regular-session competition that is part of a series that includes a national championship game unless that competition is part of a national playoff system."

Under the bill, that system would have to consist of "at least 16 teams competing in successive elimination games resulting in a final game for the national championship of that entire division or level of intercollegiate competition."

If at least four other states enact a similar law before Dec. 1, the law would stay in effect for Texas schools, according to the bill.

The other states are Alabama, Arizona, California, Colorado, Florida, Georgia, Michigan, North Carolina, Oklahoma, Oregon, South Carolina and Washington.

While the deadline for filing bills in the Texas Legislature passed two weeks ago, the Senate today unanimously gave Wentworth permission to file the bill — along with several by other senators.

He explained it this way before the vote: "It has to do with the selection of bowl games."

BCS Story (www.statesman.com/horns/content/sports/stories/longhorns/03/30football.html)