PDA

View Full Version : Homer Bailey Article

cdlvj
03-30-2005, 09:35 AM
Dayton's Dragons falling in love with La Grange pitching prospect Bailey

Former Leopards star's blistering fastball, sneaky curve already turning heads for Single-A

By Marc Katz

DAYTON (OHIO) DAILY NEWS

Tuesday, March 29, 2005

SARASOTA, Fla. -- It was just an intrasquad game, players trying to make the Single-A Midwest League's Dayton Dragons against players trying to make the Single-A Florida State League Sarasota Reds.

Seven-and-a-half innings in the Saturday morning Florida sun, and if no one scored -- and no one did -- what did it matter?

Coaches, managers, scouts and Reds farm director Tim Naehring were looking at the way things were happening, not necessarily the outcome. Most had to be happy with Homer Bailey, the franchise's No. 1 draft choice last summer out of La Grange High School.

"He has a prototypical pitcher's body," Dragons pitching coach Larry Pierson said. "He throws hard. He's confident. This is the first time I've seen him (pitch), and you can tell he's a prospect by the way he carries himself."

Through three innings, Bailey's fastball continually clicked the radar gun at 91, 92, 93. He had a curve and changeup. He got the ball over the plate, walking none, striking out five and allowing an infield hit that might have been an out with a major-league team behind him.

"I missed some spots," said Bailey, who displayed an easy motion. "You're never really pleased. I don't think if I struck out every batter I'd be pleased. Yes, I'm pleased with the statistics today, but I want to be perfect. Has it ever happened? Never."

A 6-foot-3-inch, 189-pound right-hander, Bailey was pitching his La Grange team toward the state championship at this time last year. The 2004 All-Central Texas Player of the Year, Bailey had a scholarship offer to the University of Texas in his back pocket, but he joined the Reds after they made him the No. 7 pick in the first round of the June draft and offered him $2.3 million.

"If I wasn't in baseball, I'd be sitting in a classroom," Bailey said, "That's not much of a choice."

He started with the GCL Reds in the rookie-level Gulf Coast League last season, going 0-1 with a 4.38 earned-run average in 12 1/3 innings over six games before undergoing knee surgery.

The Reds are taking it slow with Bailey. At La Grange, he was 41-4 with a career 0.98 ERA. He struck out 536 batters in 298 innings and pitched on two state championship teams.

Still, Bailey is just 18 years old. He turns 19 in May.

Dragons Manager Alonzo Powell said he won't put extra pressure on Bailey, even though he's the most high-profile pitcher on the team. He probably won't start opening day, April 7, or April 12, the home opener.

But Bailey's a guy the Reds will be watching, and the fans will be watching, too.

lepfan
03-30-2005, 10:41 AM
cool

Bellville22
03-30-2005, 10:55 AM
Awesome, best of luck to him.