PDA

View Full Version : Some old stuff from Ballinger

callandraise
11-01-2003, 11:42 AM
We had a reunion this year for our 1953 team that played for the state championship.Of the 22 boys who were what we called the travling squad 18 showed up.The four who didn't all had a good excuse, 3 were dead and one was off somewhere doing missionary work.That's pretty good after being out of school for 50 years.SPIKE DYKES who some of you will remember as the coach at Texas Tech played center on that team and he gave the speech at the pep rally. He said he was the worst player on the team and no one disagreed.The Quarterbach of the Huntsville team that beat us was Joe Clements who went on to play Quarterback for Texas UNiversity for three years.One other note, when I called Coach Cox who coach of that team and played on our 37-39 teams I didn't get him the first time,he was gone to play tennis.

vet93
11-01-2003, 12:09 PM
Coach Cox looked as young and energetic as most of his old players!

callandraise:
We had a reunion this year for our 1953 team that played for the state championship.Of the 22 boys who were what we called the travling squad 18 showed up.The four who didn't all had a good excuse, 3 were dead and one was off somewhere doing missionary work.That's pretty good after being out of school for 50 years.SPIKE DYKES who some of you will remember as the coach at Texas Tech played center on that team and he gave the speech at the pep rally. He said he was the worst player on the team and no one disagreed.The Quarterbach of the Huntsville team that beat us was Joe Clements who went on to play Quarterback for Texas UNiversity for three years.One other note, when I called Coach Cox who coach of that team and played on our 37-39 teams I didn't get him the first time,he was gone to play tennis.

Tanglefoot
11-02-2003, 12:34 AM
All I remember about the part of history of the Ballinger High School state playoff team was that I wasn't able to go to the game because I was too young. My brother and sister got to go on the train to Temple, but I had to stay home. Bummer!!!! But I do know Spike Dykes and Doug Cox - two wonderful men. In fact, Spike Dykes was my high school American History teacher in Ballinger. Great time in my life!!

Bearcats213
11-02-2003, 11:34 AM
That was a good pep rally. I'm still in school right now. One of my best friends Grandfather was on that team.

Freshman 9-0

CatWoman
11-03-2003, 12:42 PM
Tanglefoot:
All I remember about the part of history of the Ballinger High School state playoff team was that I wasn't able to go to the game because I was too young. My brother and sister got to go on the train to Temple, but I had to stay home. Bummer!!!! But I do know Spike Dykes and Doug Cox - two wonderful men. In fact, Spike Dykes was my high school American History teacher in Ballinger. Great time in my life!!I was not born when the team went to State, but I have grown up with the history of it and went to school with a lot of the team's kids. Doug Cox was my high school principal. I love him.

Ranger Mom
11-03-2003, 02:22 PM
Didn't Spike Dykes coach at Coahoma at one time??

CatWoman
11-03-2003, 02:56 PM
Ranger Mom:
Didn't Spike Dykes coach at Coahoma at one time??Yes he did and the teams were very successful.

vet93
11-03-2003, 03:08 PM
He also had some great teams at Midland Lee before he went on to Tech.

CatWoman:

Ranger Mom:
Didn't Spike Dykes coach at Coahoma at one time??Yes he did and the teams were very successful.

Tanglefoot
11-03-2003, 10:32 PM
Okay, CatWoman, just when were you at BHS? I think that you must be much younger than me. You said that Doug Cox was your high school principal - what year was that?

Tanglefoot
11-03-2003, 10:36 PM
callandraise:
We had a reunion this year for our 1953 team that played for the state championship.Of the 22 boys who were what we called the travling squad 18 showed up.The four who didn't all had a good excuse, 3 were dead and one was off somewhere doing missionary work.That's pretty good after being out of school for 50 years.SPIKE DYKES who some of you will remember as the coach at Texas Tech played center on that team and he gave the speech at the pep rally. He said he was the worst player on the team and no one disagreed.The Quarterbach of the Huntsville team that beat us was Joe Clements who went on to play Quarterback for Texas UNiversity for three years.One other note, when I called Coach Cox who coach of that team and played on our 37-39 teams I didn't get him the first time,he was gone to play tennis.Okay, Callandraise, I must know you. When did you graduate?

LH Panther Mom
11-03-2003, 10:43 PM
Hmmm, does Doug Cox by chance have a son name Mark?

CatWoman
11-04-2003, 09:20 AM
Tanglefoot:
Okay, CatWoman, just when were you at BHS? I think that you must be much younger than me. You said that Doug Cox was your high school principal - what year was that?Graduated in 1974. Ouch that hurt!!!

callandraise
11-05-2003, 06:36 PM
I graduated in 1961 or at least thats when they let me out.I remember sitting under a flat bed trailer they had parked in the endzone in Coleman for the semifinal game with Comanche and riding the train with my mother and 2 brothers to temple for the Huntsville game.My two oldest grandsons play now .The oldest plays wide reciever on varsity and the second is the quarterback on the freshman team.Their other grandfather played Halfback and defenseive back on the 53 team. I feel as good as I did then as long as I don't look in a mirror.

Tanglefoot
11-05-2003, 06:59 PM
LH Panther Mom,
Doug Cox has a son, but I don't think his name is Mark.

Tanglefoot
11-05-2003, 07:02 PM
I graduated in 1963 so I'm sure that I know you, Callandraise. But CatWoman, you were just a child when I was there.

vet93
11-05-2003, 07:02 PM
Callandraise and Catwoman...please check you personal messages. All you have to do is go up to "my profile" and click on it. You can then scroll down to get any personal messages and simply click reply if you would like to respond.

Bearcats213
11-05-2003, 09:26 PM
Okay, Callandraise. I know who you are.

LH Panther Mom
11-05-2003, 09:47 PM
Tanglefoot:
LH Panther Mom,
Doug Cox has a son, but I don't think his name is Mark.Okay, thanks. Just checking, because several years ago, our head coach was Mark Cox and he invited Spike to speak at our athletic banquet. It was so great, since we moved here from Lubbock and I've been a Tech fan for years.

Tanglefoot
11-05-2003, 10:10 PM
LH Panther Mom:

Tanglefoot:
LH Panther Mom,
Doug Cox has a son, but I don't think his name is Mark.Okay, thanks. Just checking, because several years ago, our head coach was Mark Cox and he invited Spike to speak at our athletic banquet. It was so great, since we moved here from Lubbock and I've been a Tech fan for years.LH Panther Mom, I think Spike Dykes is a great coach and wonderful person. I have heard him speak at banquets and he is so funny and enjoyable. He was my American History teacher in high school - now that was a different story. He gave us a test one day and there were no questions. We were just supposed to number 1-25 and mark down True or False. We had a 50-50 chance of matching what he put down. And he took the grade, too. I don't remember how I scored - probably not too great.