Vrabird
03-29-2005, 09:40 PM
0-0 in bottom of 3rd.

Vrabird
03-29-2005, 09:40 PM
This is the boys score.

Vrabird
03-29-2005, 10:38 PM
2-1 final score. Mathis Pirates win this one.

PhiI C
03-29-2005, 10:53 PM
A good defensive game by both teams. Sinton had them 1 to 0 but in top of 7th Mathis scored two runs on the same play by two throwing errors that should have got an out. But that is baseball.

PhiI C
03-29-2005, 11:18 PM
On one play a Mathis batter hit a hard ball right to our pitcher injuring him. The runner was put out by our catcher throwing to first. The Mathis dugout and coaches came out of the dugout and greated the Mathis batter as he came back while our pitcher lay injured. I have never seen that before. I hope they didn't come out because they were celebrating injuring our pitcher. If they did that was a lack of class. Hopefully, Mike can straghten it out but that was bad timing to come out of the dugout on an out right when someone was hurt.

big daddy russ
03-29-2005, 11:33 PM
Dang, that sounded like a helluva game. Sounds like Mathis has taken a step forward this year.

GOFOR2
03-30-2005, 12:24 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C
On one play a Mathis batter hit a hard ball right to our pitcher injuring him. The runner was put out by our catcher throwing to first. The Mathis dugout and coaches came out of the dugout and greated the Mathis batter as he came back while our pitcher lay injured. I have never seen that before. I hope they didn't come out because they were celebrating injuring our pitcher. If they did that was a lack of class. Hopefully, Mike can straghten it out but that was bad timing to come out of the dugout on an out right when someone was hurt.

Phil, that is exactly what I saw. Mathis is usually pretty classless.
They dont know how to win or lose gracefully. Also, after the victory you would have thought they had won the World Series. I thought both teams played well, outside the two bad throws, but to basically cheer an injury is just pretty pathetic. But I suppose we should not expect anything less from Mathis. You know, you dont win championships with good talent, you win them with good people.

pirate44
03-30-2005, 08:15 AM
sounds like a good game, but i hope they can bounce back. did Sinton lose any district games last year? i dont remember

Phil C
03-30-2005, 08:58 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
sounds like a good game, but i hope they can bounce back. did Sinton lose any district games last year? i dont remember

I don't think they lost any last year but year before last they (and I may have my timing mixed up) lost to Mathis in the first game but West Oso became a power and upset Mathis. Sinton beat West Oso twice so that led to a final showdown with Mathis that Sinton won and thus retained the district championship.

Phil C
03-30-2005, 08:59 AM
Originally posted by GOFOR2
They dont know how to win or lose gracefully. Also, after the victory you would have thought they had won the World Series. I thought both teams played well, outside the two bad throws, but to basically cheer an injury is just pretty pathetic. But I suppose we should not expect anything less from Mathis. You know, you dont win championships with good talent, you win them with good people.

Hey GO were their fans cheering? My attention was so much on the field I didn't notice if their fans were cheering.

Phil C
03-30-2005, 09:00 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Dang, that sounded like a helluva game. Sounds like Mathis has taken a step forward this year.

Don't forget Goliad Big. Sinton struggled to beat them 1 - 0 and I don't think they have played Mathis yet. It could make things interesting if Goliad can beat Mathis.

Phil C
03-30-2005, 09:04 AM

Also thank you for confirming what I saw and that we are in agreement. I have never seen a team greet a player like that who has just grounded out even though he advanced a runner from first to second. Mathis coaches and players were showing bad class and bad judgement last night.

SINTON81
03-30-2005, 09:07 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C
A good defensive game by both teams. Sinton had them 1 to 0 but in top of 7th Mathis scored two runs on the same play by two throwing errors that should have got an out. But that is baseball.

Hi Phil, can you give us a better picture of what happened? Where was the ball hit? Who made the bad throws? Caller Times says Mathis scored on four-base error. Trying to figure out just what they mean.

Phil C
03-30-2005, 09:13 AM
Originally posted by SINTON81
Hi Phil, can you give us a better picture of what happened? Where was the ball hit? Who made the bad throws?

I am not sure whether it was third base or ss but Mathis had a runner on first or maybe second I am not sure now but a grounder went to him and he had an easy out at first but the throw was over thrown and the Mathis runner easily made it in. The batter went on around to second and was going to third. A good throw would probably have got him out but the ball again was overthrown and the batter was able to easily run to score giving them two points and what was ultimately the winning score. It was similar to what happened to us against Lorena at State.

pirate4state
03-30-2005, 09:18 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
I don't think they lost any last year but year before last they (and I may have my timing mixed up) lost to Mathis in the first game but West Oso became a power and upset Mathis. Sinton beat West Oso twice so that led to a final showdown with Mathis that Sinton won and thus retained the district championship. I almost positive they lost to Mathis (in Mathis) last year. Two years ago is when we went to State and lost to Lorena.

SINTON81
03-30-2005, 09:18 AM
I am not sure whether it was third base or ss but Mathis had a runner on first or maybe second I am not sure now but a grounder went to him and he had an easy out at first but the throw was over thrown and the Mathis runner easily made it in. The batter went on around to second and was going to third. A good throw would probably have got him out but the ball again was overthrown and the batter was able to easily run to score giving them two points and what was ultimately the winning score. It was similar to what happened to us against Lorena at State.

Thanks Phil, as I was reading your discription of what happened, the Sinton vs. Lorena was going thru my mind.

pirate4state
03-30-2005, 09:22 AM
I am not sure whether it was third base or ss but Mathis had a runner on first or maybe second I am not sure now but a grounder went to him and he had an easy out at first but the throw was over thrown and the Mathis runner easily made it in. The batter went on around to second and was going to third. A good throw would probably have got him out but the ball again was overthrown and the batter was able to easily run to score giving them two points and what was ultimately the winning score. It was similar to what happened to us against Lorena at State. Hey Phil, I think it was a bunt back to our pitcher who put the ball in the dirt & past our first baseman. :( Lets hope they rebound and can hand them a loss in their backyard. :)

Phil C
03-30-2005, 09:31 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
Hey Phil, I think it was a bunt back to our pitcher who put the ball in the dirt & past our first baseman. :( Lets hope they rebound and can hand them a loss in their backyard. :)

Thanks for the correction pirate!

AP Panther Fan
03-30-2005, 09:33 AM
Originally posted by pirate4state
I almost positive they lost to Mathis (in Mathis) last year. Two years ago is when we went to State and lost to Lorena.

Where is Ramon when we need him?:D

P4S....aren't you late for work again?:D :D :D

Phil C
03-30-2005, 09:37 AM
Hey AP how did the AP girls do against Goliad last night? We can't find results anywhere! :(

AP Panther Fan
03-30-2005, 09:38 AM
Hey AP how did the AP girls do against Goliad last night? We can't find results anywhere! :(

I e-mailed a friend this morning to try to get the results. I will post as soon as I hear.:)

Phil C
03-30-2005, 09:55 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
[B]Where is Ramon when we need him?:D

Hey AP Mathis has Ramon, AP has Ralph (?) and Sinton has Phil!

I don't know who is ahead in this deal!! :D

AP Panther Fan
03-30-2005, 10:04 AM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
[B]Where is Ramon when we need him?:D

Hey AP Mathis has Ramon, AP has Ralph (?) and Sinton has Phil!

I don't know who is ahead in this deal!! :D

LOL...I will take you or Ralph any day of the week .... hands down.:D (you are going to have to catch up to Ralph though on chasing foul balls...he has 500+ in his career, I will try to get that exact number for you:evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh).

Just heard that our girls lost last night, but I don't have a score. The stars must not be in alignment :nerd: ;)

Phil C
03-30-2005, 11:25 AM
A big showdown in 30AAA baseball is this Friday when Goliad plays Mathis in Mathis. Sinton barely beat Goliad 1 to 0 and Mathis beat Sinton 2 - 1. This will probably be a game worth seeing if you are in the area.

pirate4state
03-30-2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Where is Ramon when we need him?:D

P4S....aren't you late for work again?:D :D :D Yes, I was late again this morning. BUT I'm always late. :D :devil: He just glances at the clock and says good morning. ;) :evillaugh

Well folks...I'm off to the beach! :wave:

mikecheck
03-30-2005, 01:28 PM

I know you don't speak for all sinton fans, because there are alot of good people there. No one cheers an injury. I was not at the game unfortunately, but going from what has been described here, the player was being congradulated on making good solid contact which is the goal of every batter and putting the ball in play. Even the pros cannot intentially hit a ball to hurt the opposition, if they could then they could hit the ball between everyone every time for a basehit or homerun. Let's go to the fans reactions, well we fans can really screw things up. One play comes to mind and it is football related, the game was Sinton vs La Grange at Buc Stadium, I was there to witness that big hit at around the 40 or 50 yard line. The coaches were really congradulating the hitter on this play and the fans were high fiving big time while the hittee staggered to his sideline. That was a big hit and could have ended his career or worse. Now were the fans cheering the injury or the play? You have folks that are classless everywhere but I personally take offense to this quote and would like an apology. If not, oh well life goes on. I will get off my soapbox and wish everyone a good day.

coachingislife
03-30-2005, 02:22 PM
Mike

If you were not at the game how can you ask for an apology from an eye witness. I have been around baseball a long time and no one and I mean noone get all excited over an infield hit that is ultimately an out. Maybe for little leaguers, but not at the high school varsity level. I was not at the game either, but to say that varsity baseball players run out of the dug out (if this is what happened) giving high fives and what not for a batter that could not get the ball out of the infield and was thrown out is normal and ok, ... well that is absurd and unheard of. Would they have run out like that for a sac bunt? I doubt it. I have seen Mathis play before.

Phil C
03-30-2005, 02:31 PM
Also thank you for confirming what I saw and that we are in agreement. I have never seen a team greet a player like that who has just grounded out even though he advanced a runner from first to second. Mathis players and coaches appeared to be showing bad class or bad judgement last night.

AP Panther Fan
03-30-2005, 02:40 PM
Originally posted by coachingislife
I was not at the game either, but to say that varsity baseball players run out of the dug out (if this is what happened) giving high fives and what not for a batter that could not get the ball out of the infield and was thrown out is unheard of.

Well said ... if anything, you might see a few heads hanging or hear a couple of choice words softly spoken (if you were sitting close enough to the dugout). ;)

Phil C
03-30-2005, 02:44 PM
Like I said before and I had to edit a post that I inadvertently referred to the fans because I don't know if they cheered or not since I wasn't paying attention to them and I apologize for my careless posting. I think it was just unfortunate judgement by really good people which happens to all of us sometimes. There are lots of great people in Mathis and this is in no way to make them look bad and I am sure the players and coaches involved are really great people.

Probably the best thing now is to just let it go and I regret pointing it out now but it proves the point that we post sometimes without thinking.

It reminds me of a few years ago when some of the Taft fans cheered in a football game when two of our Sinton players got hurt and were laying on the ground. That was a classless act by the Taft fans but then when it happened to a Taft player some of the Sinton fans did the same thing and I was ashamed. And all this was done by basically good people caught up in the thoughtless moment of competition.

Apologies to all for my post. Let's move on and worry about the rest of the season now.

mikecheck
03-30-2005, 02:59 PM
Also thank you for confirming what I saw and that we are in agreement. I have never seen a team greet a player like that who has just grounded out even though he advanced a runner from first to second. Mathis coaches and players were showing bad class and bad judgement last night.

This is what I was referring to. Like I said I wasn't at the game but from what Phil says here, is that he advanced the runner from first to scoring position. My request for an apology was the statement that "what do you expect from Mathis". To group a whole city like this is not fair. Sinton and Mathis competitions are always intense, but let's be fair. It was a very big win for Mathis, and I congratulate them for it. No, it wasn't the World Series by far, but a big win none the less. We will welcome you to Mathis on the next game and I know it will also be an exciting one. This Friday we play Goliad and that will also be a tough game. We will also have the Softball girls hosting the Goliad Lady Tigers, and we will also be having the Annual Mathis Pirate Relays. So as small as our place is, it will be crowded. I normally announce the Softball game, but Friday I have been asked to do the announcing for track. It's gonna be a busy night, come on out.

Phil C
03-30-2005, 03:03 PM
Hey Mike will you be announcing the Sinton vs Mathis softball game that will be coming I think April 22. If so I hope I get to see you there. Andrea and Nellie are great players. Andrea says she is running track this year which is good news because she is a great athlete.

GOFOR2
03-30-2005, 03:10 PM
Originally posted by mikecheck
I know you don't speak for all sinton fans, because there are alot of good people there. No one cheers an injury. I was not at the game unfortunately, but going from what has been described here, the player was being congradulated on making good solid contact which is the goal of every batter and putting the ball in play. Even the pros cannot intentially hit a ball to hurt the opposition, if they could then they could hit the ball between everyone every time for a basehit or homerun. Let's go to the fans reactions, well we fans can really screw things up. One play comes to mind and it is football related, the game was Sinton vs La Grange at Buc Stadium, I was there to witness that big hit at around the 40 or 50 yard line. The coaches were really congradulating the hitter on this play and the fans were high fiving big time while the hittee staggered to his sideline. That was a big hit and could have ended his career or worse. Now were the fans cheering the injury or the play? You have folks that are classless everywhere but I personally take offense to this quote and would like an apology. If not, oh well life goes on. I will get off my soapbox and wish everyone a good day.

I will say this, if you weren't at the game you have no idea what I am talking about, so stop trying to cover for everyone else. Phil saw exactly what I saw and we sat nowhere near one another. I still cannot believe that Mathis would stoop that low. You always hate to see a kid get hurt, and thank goodness Daniel is feeling better, but to cheer the injury, simply because he was shutting your offense down is pretty lame. Dont try to come back and defend this or bring up something that happened years ago.

coachingislife
03-30-2005, 03:12 PM
No one cheers an injury. I was not at the game unfortunately, but going from what has been described here, the player was being congradulated on making good solid contact which is the goal of every batter and putting the ball in play. I agree that all Mathis fans should not be put in with a few. My only comment was concerning the PLAYERS and COACHES if the ran out to congratulate a player for making an out. I have seen long fly balls caught at the fence and not have kids congratulated as well as seen several sac bunts where someone might say way to get your job done, but definately no celebration. But to congratulate someone who just made their batting average worse seems like the wrong thing to do at the time. Like I said, I was not there either, but from the opinions of the posters that were there, hopefully you can see why it would seem rather classless.

mikecheck
03-30-2005, 03:12 PM
Hey Mike will you be announcing the Sinton vs Mathis softball game that will be coming I think April 22. If so I hope I get to see you there. Andrea and Nellie are great players. Andrea says she is running track this year which is good news because she is a great athlete.

Yes, I will be announcing that game. Andrea is a very special person. She has gone through alot during her four years of high school. How she holds her concentration is amazing. I see a great future for her both in her athletic as well as her academic careers. Nellie is also a superstar in my eyes. Most of the time all eyes are on someone else, but she never complains. She just does her job very well. Most of these young ladies have a story that should be told about them. Where they came from, obstacles they have overcome, but we never hear them complaining. These are true superstars, and I wish them the best.

Phil C
03-30-2005, 03:18 PM
Speaking of celebrating like you won the world series I remember a softball game in Sinton two years ago when Aransas Pass played Sinton in a critical district game for both teams (in fact Sinton needed the win to cinch district). It looked like AP finally was going to win as they were ahead of Sinton 5 to 2 with two out in the bottom of the 7th but Sinton had runners on first and second. Our batter had a full count and didn't swing at the next pitch which was very close to a strike but just inside and the umpire put her on first with bases loaded. Our pitcher, Jackie Deleon, was up next and even though she was capable she was not having a good night hitting and right behind her was a batter that was in a slump so I knew we were in trouble. I thought she might get one or two runs in but that would have still been short. On the first pitch she hit that ball out to the right field just a few feet above the right fielder's head and the ball got a nice roll. I had been watching the ball all the time and looked at the bases. The runners had started running fast immediatly after the hit of course and one runner had already scored and the other two runners were coming around third base one just about five yards ahead of the other. They both also scored easily and the game was suddenly tied. By the time the fielder got to the ball and threw it to the pitcher Jackie was running to third. It should have been an easy out for AP but the pitcher in the excitement threw the ball too high and it went over the third basemen and Jackie was waved on to home which she made easily giving her an inside grand slam and a 6 to 5 victory for Sinton. You should have heard the yelling and celebrating and screeming on the Sinton bench. It was incredible. I know because I was there and a part of it. You felt great even though a part of you was in sympathy with AP. But that shouting lasted several minutes and you would have thought we had won the world series.

That is the way when fans win a big game and celebrate especially when a win wasn't expected with the way things were going so let's not be too hard on the Mathis fans celebrating last night because it has been our way many times.

mikecheck
03-30-2005, 03:18 PM
[QUOTE]Originally posted by coachingislife
[B]I agree that all Mathis fans should not be put in with a few.

Thank you, that's all I wanted to hear.

coachingislife
03-30-2005, 03:20 PM
Thank you, that's all I wanted to hear.

You are welcome. and by the way, great sig

AP Panther Fan
03-30-2005, 03:50 PM
Speaking of celebrating like you won the world series I remember a softball game in Sinton two years ago when Aransas Pass played Sinton in a critical district game for both teams (in fact Sinton needed the win to cinch district). It looked like AP finally was going to win as they were ahead of Sinton 5 to 2 with two out in the bottom of the 7th but Sinton had runners on first and second. Our batter had a full count and didn't swing at the next pitch which was very close to a strike but just inside and the umpire put her on first with bases loaded. Our pitcher, Jackie Deleon, was up next and even though she was capable she was not having a good night hitting and right behind her was a batter that was in a slump so I knew we were in trouble. I thought she might get one or two runs in but that would have still been short. On the first pitch she hit that ball out to the right field just a few feet above the right fielder's head and the ball got a nice roll. I had been watching the ball all the time and looked at the bases. The runners had started running fast immediatly after the hit of course and one runner had already scored and the other two runners were coming around third base one just about five yards ahead of the other. They both also scored easily and the game was suddenly tied. By the time the fielder got to the ball and threw it to the pitcher Jackie was running to third. It should have been an easy out for AP but the pitcher in the excitement threw the ball too high and it went over the third basemen and Jackie was waved on to home which she made easily giving her an inside grand slam and a 6 to 5 victory for Sinton. You should have heard the yelling and celebrating and screeming on the Sinton bench. It was incredible. I know because I was there and a part of it. You felt great even though a part of you was in sympathy with AP. But that shouting lasted several minutes and you would have thought we had won the world series.

That is the way when fans win a big game and celebrate especially when a win wasn't expected with the way things were going so let's not be too hard on the Mathis fans celebrating last night because it has been our way many times.

What a nice story....NOT!:D

Just kidding, of course. :cool:

Phil C
03-30-2005, 06:35 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
What a nice story....NOT!:D

Just kidding, of course. :cool:

I understand. Actually AP should have won the game because they had outplayed us all night and had the lead but one hit and a careless error cost them. Of course they probably had no way of knowing but Jackie was due for a big hit and I kind of expected a double but I didn't expect the grand inside fence grand slam. Looking back on it which is always more accurate AP should have walked Jackie giving up the run but still ahead by 2 and then worked on the next batter who was good but had been in a slump. But that is sofball in that the team that outplays the other team doesn't always win. We had that case with Goliad this year in softball.

LH Panther Mom
03-30-2005, 07:52 PM
Originally posted by coachingislife
You are welcome. and by the way, great sig

Welcome to the board, Coach. :)

pirate44
03-30-2005, 08:26 PM
welcome to the boards coachingislife

GOFOR2
03-30-2005, 08:51 PM
I understand. Actually AP should have won the game because they had outplayed us all night and had the lead but one hit and a careless error cost them. Of course they probably had no way of knowing but Jackie was due for a big hit and I kind of expected a double but I didn't expect the grand inside fence grand slam. Looking back on it which is always more accurate AP should have walked Jackie giving up the run but still ahead by 2 and then worked on the next batter who was good but had been in a slump. But that is sofball in that the team that outplays the other team doesn't always win. We had that case with Goliad this year in softball.

I recall it being a 3 run double, not a grand slam.
And by the way that reaction does not compare to what we saw against Mathis, so stop comparing it to something else in order to appease the other side. Call a spade a spade and move on.

coachingislife
03-30-2005, 09:04 PM
Thanks for the welcome

PhiI C
03-30-2005, 11:26 PM
I recall it being a 3 run double, not a grand slam.
And by the way that reaction does not compare to what we saw against Mathis, so stop comparing it to something else in order to appease the other side. Call a spade a spade and move on.

Now now Go! We all have done foolish things in our lives so we must be tolerant when others make a mistake. Forgive and forget is a good motto.