PDA

View Full Version : All Big Country 3A team

wildstangs
01-16-2003, 10:12 PM
3A Coach of the Year wanted 'one more play'
By Mark Wilson / Reporter-News Staff Writer
January 16, 2003

Sweetwater football coach Kent Jackson has to wonder what could have happened if just a couple of breaks had gone
in favor of his Mustangs in their Class 3A Division II state quarterfinal playoff game.

The Mustangs were eliminated by Midland Greenwood, by six points (34-28), and the Rangers went on to reach the state championship game. Greenwood was then beaten by Bandera, but the 27-24 decision in the title game came in overtime.

As the saying goes, anything can happen in the playoffs. So if the Mustangs hadn’t lost a fumble inside Greenwood’s 20-yard line with 21 seconds left in the game ? and, if the Mustangs had scored a touchdown at the end and kicked the extra point, perhaps they could have been the team battling in overtime against Bandera for the state crown.

"There’s no doubt — you wonder," said Jackson, who is the Abilene Reporter-News All-Big Country Class 3A Coach of the Year for the 2002 season. "But at the same time, our guys did everything they could that day. I sure would like to have one more play."

Sweetwater quarterback Mychal Carrillo — one of the most valuable offensive players in the area for any classification — is the All-Big Country Class 3A Offensive Player of the Year. And middle linebacker Jeremy Mullins of Merkel is the Defensive Player of the Year.

Others on the Class 3A offensive honor team are: quarterbacks Eric Mendez of Breckenridge and Travis McGee of Ballinger; running backs Antonio Posey of Ballinger, Tommy Felts of Wylie and Junior Moya of Comanche; fullback Jack Squires of Sweetwater; wide receivers Kelby Sullivan of Breckenridge and Randy Allen of Clyde; tight end Josh Mendoza of Snyder; offensive linemen Isidro Gutierrez of Snyder, Jarrod Clark of Ballinger, Luke Schuman of Comanche and Chris Cardwell of Wylie; center Josh Knox of Snyder; utility back Scott Edwards, who played quarterback for Clyde; and place-kicker Aaron Philpot of Wylie.

Joining Mullins, additional members of the defensive team are: linemen Tyler Crump of Wylie, J.R. Galvan of Ballinger, Travis Carpenter of Clyde, Justin Head of Merkel and Brandon Head of Merkel; linebackers Christopher Hart of Merkel, Matt Gross of Wylie, Daniel Quirino of Ballinger and Tye Elkins of Breckenridge; defensive backs Marcus Villarreal of Snyder, Zane Denton and John King of Ballinger and Demotric Sanchez of Early; and punter Isaac Ramon of Snyder.

Brandon Head and Mullins of Merkel were second-team, all-state selections on the Associated Press squad. Gutierrez, Knox and Posey were AP honorable mention all-state on offense, and Justin Head, Hart, Denton and Villarreal received honorable mention on defense.

Last year, Carrillo was on the Class 3A team offense as a utility back, while Squires made it at fullback, and both also had been named to the All-Big Country Super Team offense for 2001. Snyder’s Mendoza also was on the 2001 Class 3A team and the Super Team. Knox was on the Class 4A-5A team a year ago, when Snyder was still competing in Class 4A.

Others on the Class 3A team a year ago who repeated on the Class 3A team this year are Posey, Justin Head, Brandon Head, and Felts, who was named as a defensive back.

Carrillo, a senior at Sweetwater, had 5,228 yards in total offense the past two seasons — including 1,920 yards rushing with 25 touchdowns as a senior in 2002.

Sweetwater was 7-3 in the regular season, with the only District 3-3A loss coming to Snyder. The Mustangs managed to keep playing until early December after knocking off Kermit, Perryton and Decatur in the first three rounds of postseason play before finishing the season at 11-4. It was only Jackson’s second year at Sweetwater, after arriving from Olney where he was 12-1 in 2000 and reached the Class 2A quarterfinals.

Jackson said that 2002 was an enjoyable season, but it wasn’t without a few road bumps — including back-to-back losses to Graham and Greenwood in early September.

"It’s easy to get up and come to work every day," Jackson said. "It wasn’t without its rough spots. It (adversity) is one of the greatest teachers. I watched our kids and staff grow, and I think that’s what made the difference."

The following week was what Jackson calls a "huge" win over Andrews, followed by a loss to Snyder in district play. That sequence seemed to help spur the Mustangs to a greater level of performance, according to Jackson.

"To respond and wind up (district) co-champions, that was a high point," Jackson said. "It would have been real easy to let things go south on us, and (the players) just didn’t do it."

Jackson said he wasn’t really surprised that the Mustangs were able to put it together and play into the fourth round of the playoffs.

"I believed in my heart they had the opportunity to do that," Jackson said. "I felt confident that if they hung together as a team and played together as a team, they would have that chance. (December football) had always been one of their goals."

As always at Sweetwater, tradition and community support also helped propel the Mustangs.

"They want us to play well, and they expect us to play well," Jackson said of the Sweetwater fans.

Contact assistant sports editor Mark Wilson at 676-6775 or wilsonm@reporternews.com.

BULLDOGFAN
01-17-2003, 12:57 AM
I

<small>[ January 17, 2003, 06:24 AM: Message edited by: BULLDOGFAN ]</small>

BULLDOGFAN
01-17-2003, 12:58 AM
I

<small>[ January 17, 2003, 06:23 AM: Message edited by: BULLDOGFAN ]</small>

BULLDOGFAN
01-17-2003, 01:00 AM
I still can't figure out where these all everything teams come from.

Bandera, yes the one that won the State Championship Game, appears rarely in any of these polls. That in itself is a joke and a slap inthe face for the boys that won it all.

I suppose Bandera needs to nominate an All-Bandera team so that at least our boys make something this year.

Not being an A** but geez Bandera a little credit for something this year. So far the boys Letter jacket will have just the State Championship Patch and little else.

<small>[ January 17, 2003, 06:22 AM: Message edited by: BULLDOGFAN ]</small>

wildstangs
01-18-2003, 12:33 AM
Bandera is not in the Big Country dude. Its the Abilene area only.

Chief Woodman
01-18-2003, 11:11 AM
Wildstangs- just like the article said....."just one more play...and ...what if". Sweetwater used all their lucky breaks against Decatur. Bad call by the ref on the on side kick...(he admited to our coach AFTER the fieldgoal in front of several players that he was wrong, you do have to allow the recieving team a chance to cath a kick off UNLESS it has touched the ground first which it did not) So take away those three points you might not win. Last play Decatur is one yard short. Dane is injured and Decatur has to eliminate 45% of the offensive play book. The very plays that we were most successful with all year. PLEASE DO NOT THINK THAT I AM CRYING ABOUT LOSING. (I Hate folks who do that) I am just trying to make the point that almost every team can say what if and just one more play. Many team could have/would have/should have. But only one team can advace from each game. In fact, if the UIL were not greedy for money, only one team from each district would get to go to the playoffs. With that in mind, Niether of the current 3-A state champs (Everman and Bandera) should have even made the playoffs. I am not insulting you. The newspaper article was intresting, but did not include all of the facts.

vet93
01-18-2003, 11:38 AM
Ease up Woodman...what team doesn't want just one more play. If the officials made a poor call...is that coach Jackson's fault? This was just a feel good article about a good team/coach from an AREA newspaper. I am sure there have been articles of the same type in the metroplex about area teams. The sports writer was playing the "what if" game which they often do. There is nothing wrong with that. I am quite sure that people around Decatur have done the same thing (as a matter of fact, you just did in your post). Your post smacks of sour grapes and there is no real reason for it. Injuries and bad calls are part of the game and we have to learn to live with them as unfortunate or unfair as they may be. From the looks of the returning skill people, it looks like that Decatur has a lot to look forward to for the next several years. Be proud of this past years team and look forward to next year but don't rain on Sweetwaters parade because they were a worthy opponent who deserved the victory as much as your team. Good luck to you guys next year.

wildstangs
01-18-2003, 06:24 PM
Chief Woodman:
Wildstangs- just like the article said....."just one more play...and ...what if". Sweetwater used all their lucky breaks against Decatur. Bad call by the ref on the on side kick...(he admited to our coach AFTER the fieldgoal in front of several players that he was wrong, you do have to allow the recieving team a chance to cath a kick off UNLESS it has touched the ground first which it did not) So take away those three points you might not win. Last play Decatur is one yard short. Dane is injured and Decatur has to eliminate 45% of the offensive play book. The very plays that we were most successful with all year. PLEASE DO NOT THINK THAT I AM CRYING ABOUT LOSING. (I Hate folks who do that) I am just trying to make the point that almost every team can say what if and just one more play. Many team could have/would have/should have. But only one team can advace from each game. In fact, if the UIL were not greedy for money, only one team from each district would get to go to the playoffs. With that in mind, Niether of the current 3-A state champs (Everman and Bandera) should have even made the playoffs. I am not insulting you. The newspaper article was intresting, but did not include all of the facts.Yeah, without that field goal we might not have won. Without that interception Carrillo had near the end of game we might not have won. If Decatur hadnt forced turnovers on our first two drives, the score might have been different. If your star QB had been healthier, yall might have won. We all play the what if game. It was just a simple story. I guess the reporter should have mentioned that Perryton had some bad breaks the week before we beat Decatur?

Chief Woodman
01-19-2003, 12:04 AM
Speaking of easing up- no sour grapes here. As I said after the game (s'water vs Decatur) Results count, excuses do not. Sweetwater won the game, and they deserved the victory. The next week when Sweetwater lost to Midland- they said though it was close, Midland won. I was not trying to rain on anyones parade. All of the games that I was privliged to see this year makes me ever so thankful that we live in the State that has the best football anywhere in the USA. Even more so that we live in a country that has time to play games instead of just struggle to survive. Ment no offence to anyone, Sweetwater has a class act program. Hope you accept my explaination.