PDA

View Full Version : What is the cause and effect of a bat going dead?

BullFrog Dad
03-29-2005, 09:41 AM
Seen this term on another thread and I played ball with wood only. Just curious.

pirate44
03-29-2005, 09:47 AM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad
Seen this term on another thread and I played ball with wood only. Just curious.
good question. i didnt play high school baseball, but in little league i used a Louisville Slugger wood bat. years later my brother made a bat on a lathe (good ol ash) and that thing could knock the cover off the ball. and no "ping" sound. :D

Ranger Mom
03-29-2005, 09:50 AM
Wow!!

I didn't know that bats could "die"! (Do they have funerals too)?:p

District303aPastPlayer
03-29-2005, 11:07 AM
i was curious but didnt bother to ask, thought it would be clarified by now.

spiveyrat
03-29-2005, 11:22 AM
When I was playing, I saw a couple of 'em die. Hit the ball just right and the "cap end" would literally "pop" off releasing all the compressed air and making a very loud sound. I doubt they are even made that way anymore due to safety concerns.

Bandera YaYa
03-29-2005, 11:34 AM
Oh, I thought this was a "furry" bat question!!!! ewwwwwwwwwwwwwwww :thinking: :kiss:

Astrosdawg07
03-30-2005, 12:25 AM
Originally posted by BullFrog Dad

Just constant hitting. These bats are so pressurized now that when they are used over and over and in temperatures below 40 it causes the bat to loose its pop/life. I knew my bat was dead when I hit it in the sweet spot and it sounded like I hit it with a wood bat. And it went no where! When you hit a ball solid it has a certain feel with a metal bat.

Keith7
03-30-2005, 12:32 AM
some bats get cracks in them and after a number of hits bats can even become warped and that will lead to a bat dieing..

pretty much if the air inside the bat gets out then its dead

VWG
03-30-2005, 07:19 AM
The aluminum alloy that most bat makers use can only withstand so much pounding, and therefore the bat can lose it's "pop", or as some will say "go dead".
The bat manufacturers (Louisville Slugger, Wilson, Easton, Worth, etc..) also produce the bats with such thin walls of aluminum and other metals due to they want the maximum "trampoline effect" of the ball releasing at impact.