PDA

View Full Version : Tradition....

Gobbla2001
03-28-2005, 06:49 PM
This is always a fun subject to discuss...

So, what's the deal, does tradition help 'programs win'?

Notice I DID NOT ask does tradition help teams win games? (though if you want to discuss that, that is fine, but atleast discuss the first question as well).....

Gobbla2001
03-28-2005, 07:01 PM
Oops, forgot to mention, this question is related to 'high school football'...

But if you want to discuss college as well, be my guest..

20dawgz05
03-28-2005, 08:27 PM
tradition keeps the fans comming and fans help win

BrahmaMom
03-28-2005, 08:38 PM
Once Bellville developed the tradition of going into the play-offs, it seemed to perpetuate itself at some level. The players expect more of themselves and each other and feel an obligation to the community. It isn't a guarantee, but I think it helps. Go Bulls!

Gobbla2001
03-28-2005, 08:58 PM
As more replies roll in, I will give my opinion...

But here is some college basketball tradition-talk to munch on...

During the 2002-2003 College basketball season, you could walk through the Kansas Jayhawk locker room and find tons of traditional reminders... Sayings about the traditions, pictures of KU all-time greats etc...

But when Self took over, he removed it all, took it all out...

KU had one of the most talented ball-clubs in the land this year...

Horrible showing in the madness and not as powerful in the confrence as in the past...

Could mean squat, but I think it means something...

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-28-2005, 09:33 PM
I think tradition does play a role in programs success; it is great motivation to know that you come from somewhere that has acheived great things and that you are apart of it. Kids work alot harder when they know that winning isn't something people want it's something that they expect. Growing up in a Texas Fooball town with a winning tradition you feel how special it is from the time you see your first game. Players, coaches, and luck win football games but I feel that tradition is somehow a great motivator for them to step closer to winning.

pirate44
03-28-2005, 11:01 PM
tradition is more effective getting the kids in the weight room in the summer and getting in condition. no one wants to screw up a tradition of winning.

AggieJohn
03-28-2005, 11:38 PM
i'm glad my school doesn't have traditions

District303aPastPlayer
03-28-2005, 11:49 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
tradition is more effective getting the kids in the weight room in the summer and getting in condition. no one wants to screw up a tradition of winning.

tradition helps a program through numbers. If you look at teams like Santa Maria or Whiteborro as compared Sinton and Cuero, you will see that the bigger programs with winning traditions will bring out more kids to their program just to be part of the tradition. I know kids have asked me where I got my skull and crossbone helmet sticker. One asked me where they can buy it... i told them they have to earn it on fridays under the lights...

vet93
03-29-2005, 09:46 AM
I think that tradition helps overall program success....obviously it is not a substitute for good coaching and athletes, however it often causes teams to have better coaching and athletes. For a dissenting opinion you need to talk to chief woodman....we have had this argument before.

Gobbla2001
03-29-2005, 06:04 PM
Hmmm, thumbs up to tradition so far in this thread...

AggieJohn
03-29-2005, 06:35 PM
but then again tradition can be bad....my high school traditionally from coach to coach that has passed through, each of the mentors to their successors...have played out of the option wishbone and we havn't seen the third round in 19 years

Gobbla2001
03-29-2005, 06:38 PM
Originally posted by AggieJohn
but then again tradition can be bad....my high school traditionally from coach to coach that has passed through, each of the mentors to their successors...have played out of the option wishbone and we havn't seen the third round in 19 years

Stubborn...

did one of the coaches coach at La Grange?

AggieJohn
03-29-2005, 06:45 PM
no, you would think that was the case though

District303aPastPlayer
03-29-2005, 07:28 PM
i hate the wishbone offense... i prefer the wing T and spread... easier to switch in and out of them :)