PDA

View Full Version : UT Softball players injured after dugout collapses

KTJ
03-27-2005, 02:13 PM
AUSTIN, Texas - At approximately 1:50 p.m. today (Saturday, March 26, 2005), while the Big 12 Conference game between fourth-ranked Texas and Kansas was in a weather delay in the bottom of the second inning, the team bench in the Texas dugout collapsed. At the time of the collapse, several members of the Texas softball team were standing on it, as they usually do during games and practices.

The mortar and cinderblocks supporting the wooden bench gave way and the bench structure collapsed.

Five Texas team members suffered lower leg injuries after falling approximately two-and-a-half feet to the ground. Four of the players were transported to St. David's Hospital in downtown Austin for evaluation and observation, accompanied by Texas team physician Dr. C. Mark Chassay, UT Co-Director of Sports Medicine Tina Bonci, the coaching staff, several parents and family members and team athletic trainers. One player was treated at the field and released.

The four players sent to St. David's were released by 4:30 p.m. and were on crutches and wearing ankle boots. All five players will be re-evaluated on Monday, March 28, by Dr. Chassay to determine their playing status.

Junior Tina Boutelle (Katy, Texas), 20, suffered a right ankle sprain and has contusions and abrasions to her lower right leg.

Senior Amy Bradford (Lufkin, Texas), 22, suffered a right ankle sprain and has contusions and abrasions to her lower right leg.

Senior Alexis Garcia (Covina, Calif.), 21, suffered a left ankle sprain.

Freshman Desiree Williams (Tucson, Ariz.), 19, suffered a right ankle sprain and has contusions and abrasions to her upper and lower right leg.

Junior Amber Hall (Deer Park, Texas), 21, was treated at the field for a contusion to her left calf.

"All x-rays were negative and the four players were in and out of the hospital pretty quickly," Dr. Chassay said. "We'll know more about their status in a couple of days."

"Each player left St. David's in good spirits and on crutches and were wearing protective ankle boots as a precaution. We obviously don't want them doing too much, too soon. They will receive treatment on Sunday and be re-evaluated on Monday by our sports medicine staff. At that point, we'll get a better indication when the swelling subsides."

PhiI C
03-27-2005, 02:51 PM
Thank goodness no one appeares to be hurt worse than it could have been even though this might put an end to Texas possible dream season this year.

PhiI C
03-27-2005, 10:18 PM
I am so upset that UT let something like that happened. They need to let it be repaired by an Aggie structural engineer and follow his advice. :mad:

bmbf_06
03-28-2005, 09:24 AM
Im glad nothing too serious happened....it was really weird when i saw the story on the news, because that dugout was the dugout that my softball team played in at the high school state tourney the last two years!!!

LH Panther Mom
03-28-2005, 09:26 AM
Originally posted by PhiI C
They need to let it be repaired by an Aggie structural engineer and follow his advice. :mad:

I think that was the problem to begin with. ;)

Phil C
03-28-2005, 10:34 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
I think that was the problem to begin with. ;)

In Austin at UT!! :eek:

No way! :D

Phil C
03-28-2005, 12:48 PM
One classy act I just heard about was that right after the accident one of the Kansas players ran over to the dug out to help and called for the KU training staff to come help. A class act indeed. Thank you Kansas!