PDA

View Full Version : School District Picks Ennis Coach for New AD

cdlvj
03-27-2005, 10:43 AM
From La Grange Paper:

A new athletic director has been chosen at La Grange High School, superintendent Erwin Saldek announced this week. Wayne Walker, who has taught and coached for 18 years, will replace Tony Valastro, who left this month after 11 seasons with La Grange ISD.

Walker becan his coaching experience at 3A Reagan county in Big Lake. While in Big Lake, Walker was head baseball coach and offensive and defensive line coach.

In 1994, Walker moved to Ennis, where he has been the offensive coordinator for 11 years. During Walker's 11 years in Ennis, the 4A Ennis Lions have won three state championships.

Walker graduated from Angelo State University in 1987, with provisional certification in secondary life/earth science, secondary physical education, secondary bioloty and secondar health. His interests are golf, fishing and hunting.

Walker brings with hime his wfie of 23 years, Sandra, and their three children, Raina, a senior at Texas State University, Dale, a senior at Ennis High School, and Robin, a sophomore at Ennis High School.

Gobbla2001
03-27-2005, 10:44 AM
I'm sure this guy knows how to run a program a lot better than the last goon...

Congrats on landing this fish, LG....

Pudlugger
03-27-2005, 10:08 PM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I'm sure this guy knows how to run a program a lot better than the last goon...

Congrats on landing this fish, LG....

What the... ? Goon? Goobla just explain to me like I'm 6 years old why you call a coach like Valastro a "Goon" who took a mediocre program like La Grange to State twice winning in 2000 and going to playoffs 5 out of the past 6 years? Just because some kids got their fellings hurt, I guess we can write off this man's work? If so, than what have you acccomplished that will withstand such criticism?:mad:

La Grange
03-27-2005, 10:44 PM
Originally posted by Pudlugger
What the... ? Goon? Goobla just explain to me like I'm 6 years old why you call a coach like Valastro a "Goon" who took a mediocre program like La Grange to State twice winning in 2000 and going to playoffs 5 out of the past 6 years? Just because some kids got their fellings hurt, I guess we can write off this man's work? If so, than what have you acccomplished that will withstand such criticism?:mad:

My thoughts exactly. I met Mr. Walker...:( I don't thing that 4 wide is going to give LG a chance to win atleast one game next year. Atleast we have to play Smithville. All of the boys who got their feelings hurt got called into a meeting tuesday when HE came in...they are all coming back. Can't see why you would want players who quit the program because they didn't want to work hard back on your team...but oh well he is from ENNIS so he has to be good :rolleyes:

Haunta Yo
03-27-2005, 11:24 PM
Valastro was a good coach for LG.
Walker deserves a chance to be a HC. Last time LG hired an assistant, it worked out pretty good for 11 years.

Doesn't bother me that all the kids are coming back, but if I were a player that didn't quit I wouldn't want them around. At some point next season when things get tough, those kids will be the ones to quit - AGAIN.

I really don't think that the ones that have been bustin' their butts are going to welcome them back with open arms.

That and building a staff are going to be bigger concerns than 4 wides.

lepfan
03-27-2005, 11:53 PM
I don't see the problem with letting them come back. Remember when a kid quit during the season (2003) after he learned he was on JV instead of V? And then gave the excuse it was because he was so traumatized with a friend getting hurt on the field....no one had a problem letting him return to the team. The team welcomed him back (I am not sure how open the arms were). Why should there be a problem with these kids returning to the team under a new coach (new coach=new program) ...maybe they did not want to play for the old one anymore. I say let them in...this is high school football...these are kids. Some kids can take "mental games" and some can't.

I bet a lot are glad they will not be seeing the veer left...veer right EVERY play! (I will stop there before I totally offend someone)

Most know my opinion on this former LG coach...I have not kept it a secret.

Rockdale Tiger
03-28-2005, 12:59 PM
Originally posted by La Grange
My thoughts exactly. I met Mr. Walker...:( I don't thing that 4 wide is going to give LG a chance to win atleast one game next year. Atleast we have to play Smithville. All of the boys who got their feelings hurt got called into a meeting tuesday when HE came in...they are all coming back. Can't see why you would want players who quit the program because they didn't want to work hard back on your team...but oh well he is from ENNIS so he has to be good :rolleyes: The thing about running 4 wide is you got to have the athletes to do it with.

La Grange
03-28-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by lepfan

(I will stop there before I totally offend someone)

lol i am totally offended for the person you WERE talking about...*cogh*

BUT lets see how good this coach does before WE praise him...and the athletes are trickiling.

Gobbla2001
03-28-2005, 08:53 PM
Two state finals? TALENT...

I got to see the 2000 team on film against Sealy and Gonzales my senior year (common opponents) and that was what they won by, talent alone... So I figured "why run a lot of different plays when you have that good of talent to kick booty on the ones you run?"

I saw the scrimmage last year, and said 'wow, LG has some good athletes, but maybe they didn't do so good because he was running conservative plays'... you know, not trying to let the scouts see anything...

Then this season I was waiting to see what plays he had under his belt in an actual game...

Lemme just say that I was shocked, truely shocked... This year's LG team was not close to having the talent the '00/'01 teams had, but they did have good talent, talent that shouldn't have lost to us 34-0...

Valastro: It is not against NCAA rules to run a ball somewhere else BESIDES UP THE MIDDLE... Also, the Tight End is not the only receiver, and he can catch the ball from the outside as well, not just up the middle...

AKA: Get a larger play book or read past page 1...

La Grange
03-28-2005, 09:03 PM
La Grange did have all of the talent in the world this year...but not in the since of power option double tight end. BUT, really last year was last year and I can not blam anyone. SURE...we could all blam Coach V. and say that he can not accomplish anything unless he has talent, but lets just judge him in the next 20 years in East Chambers. I am sure Coach Walker has a grand plan for La Grange next year, but I am saying that LG did lose a lot to graduation this year...if that helps...and next year will STILL be a rebuilding year for the Leps.

Gobbla2001
03-28-2005, 09:09 PM
Did he ever coach at Donna?

La Grange
03-28-2005, 09:11 PM
Gobbla chat me on AIM to hear my true perspective...pm me if you don't know my name.

LH Panther Mom
03-28-2005, 09:48 PM

:eek: :clap: :clap:

lepfan
03-29-2005, 12:10 AM

:D You say it like it is! GMTA :D

Pudlugger
03-31-2005, 07:04 PM
Originally posted by La Grange
My thoughts exactly. I met Mr. Walker...:( I don't thing that 4 wide is going to give LG a chance to win atleast one game next year. Atleast we have to play Smithville. All of the boys who got their feelings hurt got called into a meeting tuesday when HE came in...they are all coming back. Can't see why you would want players who quit the program because they didn't want to work hard back on your team...but oh well he is from ENNIS so he has to be good :rolleyes:

LA GRANGE you are the archtypical LG football player. Not big, not highlighted by big regional news papers, playing in your senior year on a team less than those before him, who none the less never quits, gaving it your all... and I salute you. Now it is time for a new era. The great thing about high school football is that a good coach can bring out the best in a kid. That is what I envision happening when Coach Walker steps onto the turf at LG. Lets all suspend judgement for a while and let the man have a chance to show us what he can do. Remember, it takes a few seasons to establish a new program so just cool your jets! LOL:)

lepfan
03-31-2005, 07:27 PM
I personally think Coach Walker will bring out the best in a lot of kids! Let him get his program established and move forward! Best of luck to the Leopards and Coach Walker in the years to come!!!