PDA

View Full Version : Decatur Girls Basketball Coach Change

Bullaholic
03-23-2005, 10:34 AM
I was surprised by this event:

Wise County Messenger Update
Wednesday, March 23, 2005

BASKETBALL COACHES OUT – Rene Hanebutt, girls’ head basketball coach at Decatur High School, will not have her contract renewed for next season. Assistant coach Jeri Larrison, who served as the junior varsity and freshman team coach, has also stepped down. The Decatur school board approved both moves at its meeting last night. Hanebutt was in her third season at DHS where she led the Lady Eagles to the District 7-3A championship this year. According to three DHS students, Hanebutt told the players in a team meeting that she was forced out of the position. Athletic Director Kyle Story did not return phone calls before Update went to press.

Bullaholic
03-23-2005, 12:08 PM
Revised article:

Wise County Messenger Update
Wednesday, March 23, 2005

BASKETBALL COACHES OUT – Rene Hanebutt, girls’ head basketball coach at Decatur High School, has resigned. Assistant coach Jeri Larrison, who served as the junior varsity and freshman team coach, has also stepped down. The Decatur school board approved both moves at its meeting last night. Hanebutt was in her third season at DHS where she led the Lady Eagles to the District 7-3A championship this year. According to three DHS students, Hanebutt told the players in a team meeting that she was forced out of the position. Athletic Director Kyle Story did not return phone calls before Update went to press. DHS Principal Melinda Reeves categorically denied that Hanebutt was forced out. “That is not true,” Reeves said.

GreenMonster
03-23-2005, 12:08 PM
Hannebutt was a whale of a HS basketball player carrying Bowie to a class 3A State Title in 1995. She then proceeded to start the next 4 seasons for Texas Tech followed by a stint as an Assistant at Tech. Sounds like there must be a personality conflict there of some kind. Her credentials are top notch and she obviously produced if she won the district Title. Too bad for the Decatur girls, they are the one's losing out. Rene will land on her feet and quite possibly at a better job.

Bullaholic
03-23-2005, 12:12 PM
I think your assessment of the situation is probably correct, GM. Shame "other issues" come into play so often in capable coaches careers. I wish Rene the best of luck.

KTJ
03-23-2005, 01:49 PM
TELL HER TO APPLY AT GAINESVILLE.....STAT!!!

Chief Woodman
03-24-2005, 11:53 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
I think your assessment of the situation is probably correct, GM. Shame "other issues" come into play so often in capable coaches careers. I wish Rene the best of luck.

Most things you read in the paper do not nor cannot tell the entire story. Depending on what the "other issues" are it may be a good thing they come into play. There are certainly two sides to this story, with both sides having some legitimate concerns, and some concerns that may be nothing more than mere whining.

As long as all of the pertinate information was available to those who made the decision, I trust that the proper decision was made in the best interest of the Decatur school students and our community. I know the folks who are in position to make the decision, and I trust each one of them.