PDA

View Full Version : Jasper High School Blows Up

JHS_c/o_06'
03-22-2005, 10:34 PM
Well....some of it.....

Classes had just gotten underway shortly before 8:30 am Tuesday, when power went out at Jasper High School, putting both teachers and students in the dark.

The outage occurred, when a main power transformer, located on the school’s campus, between the auditorium and vocational building, shorted out and caught fire.

The volunteers of the Jasper Fire Department arrived at the scene and soon had the fire out, but workers with the City of Jasper’s Electrical Department said the transformer was severely damaged and that it might be some time before power could be restored. In fact, it is now believed that lighting struck the transformer sometime over the weekend or early Tuesday morning causing the damage that ultimately led to the fire.

Even though the transformer was outside and fire never threatened any of the buildings or the students inside, the alarm was sounded and those inside were evacuated on an open area in front of the school, until the blaze could be put out.
Dr. Eddie Dunn, who serves as Superintendent of the Jasper Independent School District, said classes would be dismissed for the rest of the day, due to the power outage at 9:30 am. However, Dunn said that classes would resume on Wednesday.

caught on fire was an understatement......it exploded once....i heard it from the other side of the school....and then when we were all outside....you heard another explosion and EVERYONE was running farther away from the school.

Astrosdawg07
03-22-2005, 11:02 PM
I could not get over how loud that thing was....:eek: Did you happen to notice how torched that thing was when?

JHS_c/o_06'
03-22-2005, 11:12 PM
it looked gutted to me...i dont think they are gonna have it fixed by tomorrow morning....thats why im probly not gonna go.

Bulldog_12
03-22-2005, 11:16 PM
you liar, you know you'll be there. No matter if theres lights or not, I know you well enough. Your not stupid enough to skip football and one-act.......are you?:D

JHS_c/o_06'
03-22-2005, 11:31 PM
lol...all it takes is a phone call

*cough* *cough* coach lauve....im sick today...i cant make it....*cough*

j/k

But if i dont have word by the time i go to bed that there is or isnt school.....im not going.

Astrosdawg07
03-22-2005, 11:54 PM
See ya at 9 am Ian!

bccards
03-22-2005, 11:57 PM
they don't have to repair the transformer, all they have to do is put a new one up! :D

Astrosdawg07
03-22-2005, 11:58 PM
no lie! But hey at least we dont have to go in till 9!:D

pirate44
03-23-2005, 07:15 AM
big difference between a school blowing up and a transformer explosion.:rolleyes: next thing you know, your gonna be telling us Michael J. Fox died:D

LH Panther Mom
03-23-2005, 07:16 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
big difference between a school blowing up and a transformer explosion.:rolleyes: next thing you know, your gonna be telling us Michael J. Fox died:D

:clap: :clap:

spiveyrat
03-23-2005, 08:23 AM
Originally posted by JHS_c/o_06'
lol...all it takes is a phone call

*cough* *cough* coach lauve....im sick today...i cant make it....*cough*

j/k

But if i dont have word by the time i go to bed that there is or isnt school.....im not going.

Someone told me he is an avid lurker here on the 3ADL. :eek:

JHS_c/o_06'
03-23-2005, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
Someone told me he is an avid lurker here on the 3ADL. :eek:

I think all the coaches do from time to time....anyway...he knows i was just joking.

JHS_c/o_06'
03-23-2005, 04:40 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
big difference between a school blowing up and a transformer explosion

lol...but it got your attention didnt it...

j_dog
03-23-2005, 06:12 PM
yes, but who won the baseball game last night?? :D