PDA

View Full Version : Who will the Cowboys draft?

Bull's-eye
03-22-2005, 01:27 PM
They need help at DE, LB,FS, R-OT and WR. If they don't make a trade for DE Darrin Howard, they will probably like to pick DE Shawne Merriman. I think they would like to improve the right offensive tackle position. Alex Barron and Jamal Brown are two of the names mentioned in several mock drafts. LB may not be a glaring need, assuming they stay in a 4-3 defense. The free safety position may be filled by moving Pete Hunter fron the corner position. Dallas needs to add some speed and youth to the receiver position. The loss of Terry Glenn really hurt the Cowboy's passing game last season. Troy Williamson and Mark Clayton are speed guys that could give Dallas a deep threat.

With the 11th & 20th pick, I would like two players that could step in and help Dallas right away. DE Merriman and one of the OT's could be those guys. Remember that Parcells wants to be great on defense and grind the ball on offense. Merriman would supply a much needed pass rush and those tackles would team up with Rivera, to make Dallas very strong running to the right side.

Bellville22
03-22-2005, 01:46 PM
I would love to see Derrick Johnson in a Cowboy uniform, but unless they trade up, that probably won't happen. Can't wait for the draft, hope they have a good one.

Bull's-eye
03-22-2005, 02:08 PM
If Dallas gets Howard, they may be in a position to trade up for Johnson. There are 2 QBS, 2 WR's, and about 3 pretty good RB's that could go early in the draft. Johnson could be available at the 8th spot, meaning Dallas could have an outside shot at moving up. I think he will go in the top 5, but you never know in the draft.

nutcrackin
03-22-2005, 03:23 PM
I think Shawne Merriman will be the ideal rush end or outside linebacker in a 3-4 defense. He is 6-4 275 and runs a 4.60. That is the same 40 time as D. Johnson but 40lbs. heavier. He also has a 40 inch vertical vs. Johnsons 37 inch vertical plus he is an inch taller. He had 17.5 tackles for a loss to go with 8 sacks last year. His nickname is "lights out" and he is very close friends with his mentor Lavar Arrington. With the 20th pick i would take either Clayton, Williamson or Roddy White out of UAB who is 6'2 and runs in the 4.3 range. I think a quality offensive tackle could be found in the 2nd round because the 'Boys do not have a 3rd round.

crzyjournalist03
03-22-2005, 04:51 PM
I think Derrick Johnson will be there when the Cowboys are picking...He's the guy I think they're going to draft...I just wish there was some way Mike Williams would slip down the draft board...

Bull's-eye
03-22-2005, 08:56 PM
The latest draft news has Merriman really moving up and Johnson slipping a little bit. From what I read, the chance of Dallas getting DE Howard from the Saints is now very slim. I would love to see Merriman in a Cowboy uniform, but his work-out has propelled him in the top ten. DE is their most glaring need, and I hope they could address that with their first pick. Marcus Spears of LSU and Dan Cody of Oklahoma are some other top DE's.

I would love to have Mike Williams, but he is more of a Keyshawn-type receiver. Clayton, Williamson and White have the deep threat ability that would be a better compliment to Johnson and Glenn.

gobbler84
03-22-2005, 09:12 PM
What about Jason Cambell, Carnell Cadillac Williams, and Ronnie Dodge Brown?

Bull's-eye
03-22-2005, 09:31 PM
Originally posted by gobbler84
What about Jason Cambell, Carnell Cadillac Williams, and Ronnie Dodge Brown? Go Auburn! Brown and Williams may go in the top 5, with Miami and T. Bay needing help at running back. Dallas was very happy with Julius Jones and have other needs in the draft. They do need some depth at RB, but that can be addressed later in the draft.

GreenMonster
03-22-2005, 09:44 PM
I have no idea why we even bother to speculate. The Cowboys will do something stupid with their 2 first round picks. They have ever since Jimmy Genius left and I fully expect it to happen again.

Rockdale Tiger
03-22-2005, 10:53 PM
Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards?

Bull's-eye
03-23-2005, 05:38 PM
Originally posted by Rockdale Tiger
Mike Williams or Braylon Edwards?
Don't think they will be around at the 11th pick.

lobo12
03-23-2005, 06:57 PM
dont they need corners, what about the guy from auburn

BullFrog Dad
04-25-2005, 11:55 AM
ttt