PDA

View Full Version : we're getting way ahead of ourselves in technology

pirate44
03-22-2005, 11:17 AM
WASHINGTON -- How do you quench someone's thirst when there's plenty of water, but not a drop that's drinkable?

NASA researchers have considered that question for years and now villagers in Iraq and tsunami victims in Asia may get a taste of the answer this fall -- long before any astronaut does.

The Marshall Space Flight Center in Alabama is testing a device intended for the space station. It recycles astronauts' sweat, respiration and even urine into drinking water purer than any found in a tap.

Next month, Nevada-based investment firm Crestridge plans to break ground on the first manufacturing plant for the Earth-based water processing devices. By September, it hopes to send truck and trailer-mounted units to Iraq and larger ones to southeast Asia.

Many wells in Iraq have been contaminated by dead animals dumped when Saddam Hussein was in power. Ocean salt polluted many streams in the tsunami zone.

JasperDog94
03-22-2005, 11:20 AM
I can't help but think of Kevin Costner in "Waterworld".:D :D

pirate44
03-22-2005, 11:22 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I can't help but think of Kevin Costner in "Waterworld".:D :D
lol..thats the first thing i was thinking, but i was embarassed to admit i saw that movie:D

District303aPastPlayer
03-22-2005, 11:24 AM
lemme steal a phrase...
ewwwwwwwww

JasperDog94
03-22-2005, 11:26 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
lol..thats the first thing i was thinking, but i was embarassed to admit i saw that movie:D I know a lot of people hated it, but I actually liked it.:nerd:

Bullaholic
03-22-2005, 11:27 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I know a lot of people hated it, but I actually liked it.:nerd:

"Waterworld", also known as "Dances with Tunas".

pirate44
03-22-2005, 11:29 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
lemme steal a phrase...
ewwwwwwwww
dont knock it till you tried it
j/k
im with you
ewwwwwwwwwww!!!!

onfirebball05mustang
03-22-2005, 11:39 AM
they've been working on this for a WHILE- on of my cousins has been working with this technology for several years- it's a calling i guess!

pirate44
03-22-2005, 12:10 PM
i guess it cant be any worse tasting than Corpus Christi water:rolleyes:

AP Panther Fan
03-22-2005, 12:20 PM
Not sure, but I believe numerous desalinization plants have been built in Saudi Arabia on both the Red Sea and Arabian Sea. Some being designed to generate power as well.

I haven't kept up with the technology, but it truly is interesting. I think I like the salt-water idea over body sweat and urine...of course, what are your choices in space:rolleyes: :D

JasperDog94
03-22-2005, 12:26 PM
Originally posted by onfirebball05mustang
they've been working on this for a WHILE- on of my cousins has been working with this technology for several years- it's a calling i guess! Please tell me that when you say "working with this technology" that he's not a test subject.:evilgrin:

pirate44
03-22-2005, 12:29 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
...of course, what are your choices in space:rolleyes: :D
hmmm..good question:thinking: I think id drink the rocket fuel and leave the urine as a last resort;)

Phil C
03-22-2005, 01:55 PM
Talk about getting ahead in technology those of you that have never seen the old tv series Wild Wild West with Robert Conrad should watch it when it is shown on television. It takes place back in the times of the Wild West (the 1870s when Grant was President). Conrad used modern things even though it was back in that time. One time there was even an army tank!! And some of the stuff was so modern that it hasn't even been invented today much less back in the 1870s! :)

cdlvj
03-22-2005, 02:02 PM
Originally posted by pirate44

Next month, Nevada-based investment firm Crestridge plans to break ground on the first manufacturing plant for the Earth-based water processing devices. By September, it hopes to send truck and trailer-mounted units to Iraq and larger ones to southeast Asia.

I have a question. Does the government (taxpayers) ever get any royalties on this kind of stuff.

NASA develops a lot of stuff, and next thing there is a private firm selling the products.