PDA

View Full Version : Burnet/Marlin

Chris Hart
09-27-2002, 10:06 PM
Burnet 27-Marlin 21 OT.Marlin got the ball first in OT.Jordan Shipley intercepts Marlin in the endzone.Burnet gets a 10 yd. TD run by Chris Levens for the win.Marlin won the field position battle all night.Burnet found a way to win(how I don't know).It seemed like the entire game was played on the Burnet side of the 50.Way to go Bulldogs!
Whhhhheeeeeeewwwwwww!

------------------
Big Green Dawg

29x281
09-28-2002, 12:45 AM
And the Bulldogs certainly need the week off before district. Probably a dozen players are hobbled right now.

Marlin had some great players, such as the Richardson kid, and they played hard all night. But Burnet somehow finds a way on the road and holds an explosive team to 21 pts. The Burnet defense yielded alot of yardage again tonight, but they manage to make critical stops at critical times.

Barring a tremendous let-down, only Bandera can seriously hope to keep Burnet from having an undefeated season. Then a regional playoff bracket that would likely include games against Somerset, Gonzales or Wharton, and then Sinton.

RUfablungid2?
09-28-2002, 12:49 AM
Originally posted by 29x281:
And the Bulldogs certainly need the week off before district. Probably a dozen players are hobbled right now.

Marlin had some great players, such as the Richardson kid, and they played hard all night. But Burnet somehow finds a way on the road and holds an explosive team to 21 pts. The Burnet defense yielded alot of yardage again tonight, but they manage to make critical stops at critical times.

Barring a tremendous let-down, only Bandera can seriously hope to keep Burnet from having an undefeated season. Then a regional playoff bracket that would likely include games against Somerset, Gonzales or Wharton, and then Sinton.

Whoa, Burnet fan. Everman, Jasper and Elgin all lost to underdogs tonight. It's along way to the finals. One game at a time is the shortest route.

CentralTxFan
09-28-2002, 01:03 AM
Congrats to the Burnet Bulldogs on their win tonight. It was a very hard fought win, to say the least. I will say, for fear of getting "yelled" at on this board, Burnet's offensive line has some serious personality conflicts that need to be addressed. It was very sad to see that during the game tonight, one of the offensive line so called leaders was sitting on one bench while the rest of the line was sitting on the other bench. Don't get me wrong, I think Burnet will go far this year but I think they need to come together as a team when they are on the field. Thank goodness they have this week to recoup and get mended. Again congrats on your win and good job defense. You guys came through once again.

29x281
09-28-2002, 01:15 AM
I don't play, so I can look ahead all I want. The coaches and players know they have to be ready every week.

tog
09-28-2002, 08:05 AM
both were very impressive teams,, tank is one good rb-and to see he is only a soph?!?!?!? burnets defense didn't look to have any real superstars but each player was well above avg and played full speed as a unit,, both qbs were scary,, good game, good teams,

[This message has been edited by tog (edited September 28, 2002).]

bd0707
09-28-2002, 08:22 AM
Centraltexasfan,
This was the point I was trying to get across last week with the topic:Observations Burnets O-line. Well I think it was obvious to anyone that witnessed last nights game that there is a huge problem. Those four guys out weighed their defensive counterparts by probably fifty lbs. each. At one point when they came off the field it borderlined on embarrssing when the o-line coach was so loud and in their faces about being beaten down by a "three man rush" he also quite emphatically addressed a "laziness" issue. This coach was so loud that he prompted the cheerleaders to take it upon themselves to get busy and try to drown him out. My whole point to last weeks post was not to berate any player, on the contrary I am a devout Burnet fan and have not missed a game at home or on the road for the last five years, which is longer than the majority of this current coaching regime has been around. My point was that if the Intensity and Consistency issues are not addressed then someone is going to get hurt, as it turns out Burnets sideline was starting to look like a triage center. I don't know the final stats but at halftime to hear that announcer say Miller nine carries for ten yards....ugh and Fran Tarkenton had nothing on Stephen McGee, he looked liked the fox being chased by the hounds! Bottom line is the o-line can take a cue from Luke Pell when it comes to Intensity and Consistency, all over the field, every play, with outstanding results.

------------------

BurnetDawg
09-28-2002, 09:24 AM
way to go Bulldogs!!*woot woot*

greendog fan
09-28-2002, 09:27 AM
Well said bd0707. Chris Leavens was the hero for the offence last night. Played a well of a game, as did Luke Pell. Hopr our O line gets it togeather soon. They have 2 weeks to prepare for the season. The last 5 games means nothing, the next 10 does. I also have not missed many Burnet games. In the 20 yrs i have lived here, i missed maybe 10 games. Win lose or draw, I will be in the stands backing our Dogs

CentralTxFan
09-28-2002, 10:22 AM
bd0707,
I missed what the announcer said about Patrick. WOW! I knew it was bad, but that bad? I had no idea. Yeah, I was sitting as far from the team and coaches as I could and I heard the o-line coach's speech as well. The very sad thing was it started on the field and continued onto the bench...and since this was seconds before half time I am sure it continued into the locker room as well. The part that worried me was when they came back for the second half...that is when I saw the dissention of the one player.
This team is good, the coaches have done an outstanding job with these boys. But, the players need to learn that EACH one of them on this Burnet team is key to the success. Last night most definitely proved that. It took the entire team to win that game. Attitude can make or break any team, I would like to see it MAKE Burnet's. We have two weeks to mend, both minds and bodies. I know they can do it.

29x281
09-28-2002, 10:34 AM
overreaction

[This message has been edited by 29x281 (edited September 28, 2002).]

bd0707
09-28-2002, 11:00 AM
Not overreaction. I keep hearing "Burnet will be fine." I agree thru district, however if this to be "Burnet's year" it will be cut short possibly by or before regionals.Ask Shipley who could not be found by a cross-country running Stepan McGee or Patrick Miller who spent the better part of the second half on the sideline with injuries. 29x281 if you are complacent with a distict Championship you will assuredly get what you wish for. I don,t mean to make this out to be a three or four or five man team but if you honestly believe that Burnet has the depth to realize their dream while sustaining injuries to "key" players your complacency will reach out to bite you.

------------------

SintonFan
09-28-2002, 11:37 AM
Congrats Burnet on a great win! Hopefully your players will make speedy recoveries. Good Luck!

tog
09-28-2002, 12:07 PM
outweighing your opponent by fifty pounds in burnet's offense going against defensive guys that run 4.5's is not always a good thing

29x281
09-28-2002, 09:12 PM
bd0707

I wasn't referring to Burnet's injury situation. I agree with you on that. I was talking more about what an earlier post said about "dissention."

It's easy to get a false impression of things when you don't know the full story, and maybe we're getting dissention confused with plain old frustration. Expressing dissatisfaction with your own or a teammate's performance can be a healthy thing. Plus, it's hardly defensible to single out a 17 yr old kid for public criticism in the manner that this thread and others have done. Even if your point wasn't to "berate" any one player, as you say, it's still a singling out of a particular kid for public ridicule, and that's taking things a bit too far. It's high school. They're volunteering their services.

Next, by playing the schedule that they're playing, Burnet is learning what its strengths and weaknesses really are, and it now has 6 weeks to correct, or find ways to minimize, many of those deficiencies. I'm guessing we'll see some modifications in place when Burnet hosts Llano in 2 weeks. Most other teams know alot less about their weaknesses at this point than Burnet does. Advantage Burnet.

Finally, as for my "complacency" coming back to bite me, I'll remind you once again that I don't play. I'm a spectator. I watch the games from the stands (usually). Burnet will win or lose without being influenced by anything I think or feel or do. I hope they win it all, but I'll be OK either way.

Ozzy
09-28-2002, 11:14 PM
What kind of adult would purposely hide behind a username to publicly criticize a high school football player. And what kind of fan would publicly repeat adjustments that he overhead a coach making on the sideline. If you have something bad to say about a player, I suggest you sit down with his parents and discuss it face to face. If you want to discuss game plans, then go to college, get a degree, get a coaching job, and put in the 75+ hours / week that coaches put in. If you want to criticize the coaching, look up the number to the field house and make an appointment!

bd0707
09-29-2002, 08:05 AM
Ozzy, let me tell you something BUDDY, I was under the impression that this was a public forum in which 3afootball was discussed, a place where you can express an opinion good, bad or indifferent.A place where such issues as strengths and weaknesses, strategies, (good or bad), physical and mental training, good games and bad games, good teams, bad teams, great coaches, lousy coaches, and yes good and bad players too. Not that I ever once said this kid was a bad ballplayer! In fact what I suggested was these kids had talent, ability, and great coaching,I further suggested that this young man could very likely be the source of leadership on the field and in the trenches they so desperatly need.
If you have a problem with my restating on this board some disparaging remarks first made by a screaming coach on the sideline in plain view and within earshot(as has allready been established by another poster on this topic)of a couple of thousand Burnet fans, then I am sure your answer to this situation had you been at the game would be something like this: Walk down to the sideline,tap the coach on the shoulder and say pardon me mate, but I think your going about this all wrong. Maybe you should not be so harsh on these fine young lads rather than humiliate them into providing more protection for their backfield or providing a gap for the running back, you could suggest to the UIL that they widen the playing field by twentyfive yards or so to give your QB more leverage to escape the constant annoyance of the defense, not to mention it would give your RB all of the gap he needs.
Or maybe you would suggest to this screaming coach that he should perhaps, take a "timeout" while you console these boys.
As for what "kind of an adult" am I? Well I'm the kind of adult that along with my is raising four exemplary honor roll students, who are all involved in extra-curricular activities of their own choosing, all self starting, self motivated individuals to whom we lavish praise and offer our guidance.
I am also the kind of adult who has always the best interest of Burnet Bulldog athletes and students at heart.The opinions I have offered on this board are mine and I stand by them. I don't care to,nor will I continue this pissing match with you. There are lots of topics on this board with messages and opinions dissending of yours,go strafe them with your moral indignation! By the way I don't hide behind the annonimity of a screen for fear of the likes of you, it is simply dictated by common sense.

Note to the moderators; I have responded to what I perceive as personal attack. I am through with this issue.Thank you for the service you provide. Nuff said.

Ozzy
09-29-2002, 07:21 PM
bd0707-

i'm a big fan of #44 also. i'm a big fan of all of the bulldogs. you say that burnet's o-line has a problem with leadership, intensity, and consistency. is the offense supposed to score on every play? burnet won, didn't they? do you give no credit to marlin being an athletic and well coached football team? i dont' believe i've ever seen a qb that wasn't pressured during a well-matched football game. or a rb that had a little trouble getting going. and to blame it all on the ol is ridiculous. perhaps the receivers ran the wrong routes. or the rb missed a block. or the qb went the wrong way on a bootleg. maybe the bulldogs are a young team seeing a different pressured-front each and every week, and are learning to deal with different looks as they go. maybe you need to be supportive of their efforts instead of critical, because they are teenagers playing for the love of the game. if you want to be critical, get on red mccombs and mike tice. pat the bulldogs on the back and say job well-done. they deserve it.

lildawg07
09-29-2002, 08:03 PM
Looks like i missed a good game. I didn't hear about the yelling or anything. Good job DAWGS!