PDA

View Full Version : Girls Softball pitching a whole different ballgame!

Old Cardinal
03-20-2005, 12:55 PM
There is a vast difference in the body mechanics for women pitching fast softballs and those techniques learned by men fast pitching softballs in Industrial, League and Church softball. Some men are known to pitch at near 100 mph. I watched the King and his Court at their last performance in Panama City, FA three years ago WOW.
Here is the basic difference--Men throw using the muscles in the small of their back while women because they are built stronger in their hips and legs have to learn "Muscle Memory" techniques that can propel the torqueing softball at high speeds.
What is tragic is when unknowing male techniques are taught to young girls that are alien to the body structure of women; then all types of problems will occur. Examples:
1. Buildup of muscles along one side of the lower spine thus leading to curvature in the persons lower back.
2. A condition called "white knuckle".
3. Corporal Tunnel
4. Neuropathy (assorted problems)
5. Partial side-socket damage that leads to problems in later life.

The good news is that there are a host of "Pitching Coaches" across America that have taken the time to learn correct body mechanics techniques to help girls learn healthy pitching techniques. Many of these teachers are Engineers and people with ergonomic training that have taken the time to learn safe hurling techniques for the aspiring young pitchers. Body mechanic understanding is paramount.
The windmillers of today are just amazing--They fall into roughly 3 catagories.
1. Placement pitchers- Able to throw around seven or eight different pitches. They work from the same rotation yet are deceptive because of the muscle memory employed in the nano-second movement differences tweeked at the end of the pitch rotation. We have many pitchers today that are mid-60s on their fastball but throw just a handful each game, instead relying on finesse, savvy, and deceptiveness to keep the batters off-balance.
2. Power pitching--I few girls can employ enough strength to attempt to overwhelm the batters with mostly gross speed. Mellisa Collins(Splendora) and Holly Tankersley(Kirbyville) were prime examples of this mode in the recent past in 3A level softball.
3. The long stride pitch. The most difficult pitch to develop muscle memory is beginning to be displayed by girls with talent learned under exceptionally skilled and patient pitching coaches. They are placement pitchers(as covered above) with the ability to make the ball "dance" in many novel ways making it extremely difficult for the batter. Long Striders can throw the same assorted pitches as any of the placement pitchers--circle, arching changeup, assorted curves balls including last minute reverse curves to fool and baffle bunters etc: They can also deliver a blazing fastball when appropriate(usually just a few a game), mainly because of the long intentional stride torque. They have a unique ability to throw the "curving riser" and a difficult to master "last nano-second curving dropball". There are variations of the curving dropball that are being mastered by a few girls across the USA.
Softball pitching is now both and art and a skilled science.
You still see pitchers that throw a "rolling fastball" with little muscle memory mastered that can be somewhat successful.
By and large the girls that have started the dedication-to-purpose are getting all the pitching scholarships at present--especially the ones with natural skill and having been trained in the difficult-to-master long stride delivery.
Watch the better college level pitchers and you will begin to see what separates those that can throw strikes and those that consistantly pitch "low hit" ballgames.
This is so elementary a discussion maybe we can get into the real complexities of softball pitching later on. I think maybe that is why the phenomenon of girl softball is sweeping the world right now--people are starting to appreciate the dedication of what it takes to excel in this unique sport for girls and women.

PhiI C
03-20-2005, 04:58 PM
Great Write-up Old! Thank you.

Old Cardinal
03-21-2005, 03:19 PM
Rambling Again---I had a question asked, "How can I tell what pitch is being thrown-- as a spectator?" Well the good pitchers are quite deceptive and do not reveal the type of pitch till it is leaving the hand. A CLUE, if the delivery-hand swings across the chest it was some type of curve ball. It the hand flips over the same shoulder it is some type of drop ball. It the knee drops and sometimes the shoulder drops on the pitching side of the body it is some kind of a riser-ball. If the windmill-rotation is just as fast as ever; yet the ball is delivered at much lower rpm chances are it is a "circle"... Well since you were going to ask--a circle is delivered by touching the thumb and index finger tips ahead of the ball yet keeping the speed of rotation the same; thus, the ball travels at a much lower rate of speed. If a reverse-curve is thrown the wrist will flick outward to the body as the ball leaves the pitchers hand. If the drop ball that breaks at the last minute is thrown, the shoulder rolls at the very last nano-second. If the batter appears to really be bunting: at the last moment, irregardless of the type pitch, the ball is "corkscrewed" either one way or the other to make it difficult to bunt accurately.
Since these skills are based on "muscle memory" it is difficult for a pitcher to correct some developing flaw and they must go get help from their competent "pitching coach" to get back on track. That is why several premium pitchers on one team can prove so important. If one develops an acute problem they are replaced in short-duration by the other pitcher in the course of the ballgame.

A question for everyone who really follows SB across the state--please list the HS girls that seem to have the most potential to be college level pitchers that you have observed?

I am never afraid to put my 0.02 cents worth in--Here goes(by age group):

Senior--Mellisa Verde--Maybe the best Pitcher in TX-- scheduled to carry the Kelly Private HS team to the State Championship in TAPPS softball.

Junior--Cody Trahan--A powerful long-strider that leads the LC-M Bears in their quest for the 4A Championship.

Sophomore--Too close to call for me, their are a number of good ones, many out to the Houston area.

Freshman--Shandi Conner, a backup, low hit long-strider at Bridge City.

8th Grader-- Emily Kennon will star for Vidor in the future--great control and savvy for a top young select team player.

WOULD YOU SHARE YOUR PICKS OF PREMIUM PITCHERS FROM ACROSS THE STATE, AND WHY?

Phil C
03-21-2005, 04:46 PM
Keep Rambling Old!

Old Cardinal
03-21-2005, 06:35 PM
Phil, I was hoping this thread would start some good discussion about the Pitching scholarship prospects across the state. I wuold think the interest will pickup after mid-season of the District play...Who is hurling the ball well down in your area?

Phil C
03-22-2005, 09:11 AM
Our freshman pitcher Kirsten Shedd is doing a great job for us Old. She is our starting pitcher and looking good on the mound with her pitches. She is also not a bad hitter too.

areacode337
03-22-2005, 09:22 AM
Can you give names of some of the pitching coaches and ways to contact them. Gulfcoast Area

pirate44
03-22-2005, 09:25 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
Our freshman pitcher Kirsten Shedd is doing a great job for us Old. She is our starting pitcher and looking good on the mound with her pitches. She is also not a bad hitter too.
i havent seen much girls softball, but the couple games ive been to this year, the speed of the pitching blew my mind. wow.

Old Cardinal
03-22-2005, 11:59 AM
To Area Code 337: I certainly have preferences for SE TX but would not want to start pro/con discussions on here. I would suggest that you get involved with the bigger premium select team folks in your immediate area. Watch the ace pitchers at all age levels and find out their long-term Pitching Coaches.
You need to be sure you are following the big overall successful programs, not the marginal upstart programs.
Tragically a few disenchanted parents whose children are margainally able to compete at the premium level run out and find other like disenchanted parents and form other sub-premium teams. They usually don't last very long as the teams that rise to form the cream-of-the-crop beat them handily. If they happen to pick up a newcomer with exceptionally ability; those newcomer folks seek out and try out for one of the big developmental select team programs.
I am sure that with a little investigation you can find a good steady developmental pitching coach in your area..

areacode337
03-22-2005, 12:25 PM
Thanks for the input. I appreciate the honesty and do have a daughter playing select. On one of those disenchanted parent, start up teams and it is not going to last long....LOL.....I am not the disenchanted. Not really concerned about her being a pitcher but was curious as to who were some good ones teaching good mechanics.....thanks....

BCsportfan
03-22-2005, 01:04 PM
Heard this morning that Cody Trahan got hurt last night. Something about blowing a disk in her back, I'm hoping someoone can tell me this is a rumor. She is so dedicated and talented. Anyone know anything about this ??

Phil C
03-22-2005, 01:56 PM
Originally posted by BCsportfan
Heard this morning that Cody Trahan got hurt last night. Something about blowing a disk in her back, I'm hoping someoone can tell me this is a rumor. She is so dedicated and talented. Anyone know anything about this ??

How could that happen BC? I hope it isn't true.

middleagecardinal
03-22-2005, 02:02 PM
I did hear this about Cody....I have not talked to her nor her parents yet but I will let ya'll know as soon as I hear something.....

Old Cardinal
03-22-2005, 02:44 PM
I heard about Cody also this morning--say...I think that LC-M plays a tough little Nederland team tonight. It will be tough to beat Nederland without Cody Trahan!

Rabbit'93
03-22-2005, 02:48 PM
A quick ? for all FP softball enthusiasts.

Would any of you be in favor of restructuring the field dimensions for girls softball?

The reason I ask is that the current pitcher's rubber stands @ 46'. As a pitcher lunges forward her release point is in the neighborhood of 43'. At the speeds some of these young ladies throw it would seem that a pitcher has a distinct advantage over the batter. Especially in the college game. Thoughts?

middleagecardinal
03-22-2005, 03:02 PM
Actually, girls high school and 12U-18U (I think)ASA is 40' and college is 43'.

Old Cardinal
03-22-2005, 04:14 PM
Homeplate to pitchers rubber is 43' per International Softball Federation(the standard). On 18 &U it's 40' and 15 & U it's 40'. As far as I know, all the assorted groups conform to these distances. Middleagecardinal, I can think of 6 different groups in Select ball Associations of any consequence-- are there more?

middleagecardinal
03-22-2005, 04:34 PM
I'm not sure Old. In travel ball, I know that we have played in AFA, ASA and USSSA. There is a high school assoc. as well. Then there is the international level that you spoke of.

Rabbit'93
03-22-2005, 05:36 PM
Sorry got my distances wrong. But even @ 43' your looking @ 40' at the release point.

I just see alot of strikeouts, foul balls, and slap hits that they're only hoping goes fair. There are exceptions.