PDA

View Full Version : Elgin vs Bridge City

BigRed01
11-17-2002, 12:42 AM
I don't really know about this Elgin team, other than the scores I have seen. They appear to be a pretty tough opponent. I know we will probably be the favorite, but these guys from what I can tell were competative in all of there games they didn't win. The teams they lost to were all quality teams, with one being Navasota, the team they just beat. Any thoughts on this team.

BigRed01
11-17-2002, 11:13 AM
Does anybody have the scoop on Elgin? I don't see too many posters for this team, and would like to get a little feedback on these guys. What are you predictions in this game.

Pudlugger
11-17-2002, 11:13 AM
Elgin is very physical with several big athletic lineman and fast backs. Their defense is their strength. The offense keys on Isom, an elusive and fast ball carrier who can pass if necessary. La Grange beat them by playing tougher defense stopping Isom and moving the ball on the ground better. If Bridge City does not put up a tough defense Elgin will run up a lot of points and their defense can stop you, so you need to take this team seriously. Good luck, it will be a close game. :)

75isaHaus
11-17-2002, 01:25 PM
They do have their games....we had our only loss to them. So they can play in big game situations.

bigcat8
11-17-2002, 06:31 PM
I hate to break it to you pud but LG had a screen and an Anderle 86 yard run with several missed tackles on the play to defeat Elgin.You have been bragging about that win for weeks and got out of Elgin by the skin of your teeth win the win....I believe the score was 13-10.

bigcat8
11-17-2002, 06:33 PM
75, you ain't a house. I saw the Elgin-Bellville game. Elgin got after ya'll up front on the old line.

BigRed01
11-17-2002, 07:34 PM
bigcat8:
75, you ain't a house. I saw the Elgin-Bellville game. Elgin got after ya'll up front on the old line.BigCat8 was is your take on Elgin?

Cat Fight
11-18-2002, 07:54 AM
Bridge City will be the favorite. Elgin will probably have to deal with a well-coached, physical team. Don't know if Elgin stops the run in this game. Elgin does have good speed on both sides of the ball. Just my take. Would like something on BC.

Pudlugger
11-18-2002, 08:55 AM
bigcat8:
I hate to break it to you pud but LG had a screen and an Anderle 86 yard run with several missed tackles on the play to defeat Elgin.You have been bragging about that win for weeks and got out of Elgin by the skin of your teeth win the win....I believe the score was 13-10.Pleeeezzz! We held yall to 95 yards total offense. Your two scores came from a bad snap on a punt that gave you a first and 10 on the 15 yard line (and yall had to settle for a field goal) plus a td that came after a questionable spot on a 4th down fake punt run combined with a very questionable pass interference call. Without those "breaks " yall would have been shut out. I complemented Elgin's D for holding the LG offense to 165 yards rushing yet you post this crap about how we were lucky and won by the skin of our teeth. Why can't you be like most good sports and just wish LG luck in the playoffs? I have been supportive of Elgin if you read my posts. Obviously yall can't deal with the fact that La Grange just outplayed Elgin in your house. Next year you get to come to La Grange, and I look forward to it. :mad:

AP_OLB_1
11-18-2002, 02:09 PM
any one know where and when the game will be at??? i went and watched BC play BH and what a great game... i sure do like BC's chances and ill be there for the elgin game... good luck

bigcat8
11-18-2002, 03:48 PM
Wait a minute pud partner. I looked at your post and let it go for weeks. You talk like LG is the greatest thing since sliced bread. LG's defense is obviously salty.But to say that LG just came in and stomped the Cats is not true.13-10, boy that is getting stomped....I will say that LG is a class program and very well coached.

Texas_Flash
11-18-2002, 03:52 PM
Sorry guys I have to go with Elgin by 14. this team is the real deal they had there ups and downs but I think there threw with those mistakes. Personally I dont think the cardinals have enough "SPEED" to compete with the Wildcats on turf. The wildcats will bring there "A" game. good luck to both teams. Elgin 32 bridge city 19.

ej2525
11-18-2002, 03:59 PM
I am just curious as to what you know about BC and their "speed"? I see you are from Elgin and could this be a little one sided in your decision.

duckbutter
11-18-2002, 04:00 PM
I REALLY want to see a Jasper-BC game so I'll have to root for the Cards.

Texas_Flash
11-18-2002, 04:18 PM
no it is not one sided but all of Elgins defense is under 4.8 40-yds. on the "offensive " side of the ball, weather its the sideline or up the middle Elgins backs are dangerous. SR Brian king TB 4.41, SR Kirby Roberson fb 4.49, jr Marquis bailey 4.53,SO Evan mikmillian WR 4.45, and the blur SR Ronald Isom QB 4.26, this kid has the wheels on this squad. they spread the ball around and are a very dangerous option team. Bailey has 6 ints and king has 4 ints the denfense is at it best aginst the run better have some trick plays up youre sleeves but good luck you'll see the speed of this team saturday. it will be a great battle. "Only The Strong Survives"

Cat Fight
11-18-2002, 04:26 PM
La Grange has very good defense and not so great offense. Somewhat down year for LG is going 2 or 3 rds into playoffs. I love the anderle kid and tell my boy to pattern his game after him. If Elgin limits mistakes they will have 50-50 chance, but that can be a big if!!! Will be pulling for LG and Elgin in the playoffs. Go Wildcats.

Cat Fight
11-18-2002, 04:32 PM
Just read last comment from Texas Flash. QB Ronald Isom is the blur. Quickest player I've ever seen for 10 yds. Also small but very strong. Flash is right about the speed. All 11 Defenders run very well. By the way, the Peeples back from BC, how good is he?

Old Cardinal
11-18-2002, 04:42 PM
Gosh Texas Flash, You guys are slower than Barbers Hill! I think you have a chance however. Fantasyman, the 14 point win will most probably be by the Cardinals. My reasoning is- the BC team has a host of players that will be playing in their EIGHTTH 3A Playoff game. Now you can't just teach "field savvy", it has to be tempered in the fire of having been in a like situation!....On Peebles speed question, I think he is around 14 seconds in the 100 yard dash. But he is shifty, he has scored 27 times, I think, and is at around 2000 yards. I think he gained 215 yards on Barbers Hill; like I say he might be slow but he IS shifty.

<small>[ November 18, 2002, 03:49 PM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

big daddy russ
11-18-2002, 05:50 PM
Texas_Flash:
no it is not one sided but all of Elgins defense is under 4.8 40-yds. on the "offensive " side of the ball, weather its the sideline or up the middle Elgins backs are dangerous. SR Brian king TB 4.41, SR Kirby Roberson fb 4.49, jr Marquis bailey 4.53,SO Evan mikmillian WR 4.45, and the blur SR Ronald Isom QB 4.26, this kid has the wheels on this squad. they spread the ball around and are a very dangerous option team. Bailey has 6 ints and king has 4 ints the denfense is at it best aginst the run better have some trick plays up youre sleeves but good luck you'll see the speed of this team saturday. it will be a great battle. "Only The Strong Survives"4.26? 4.41, 4.45, 4.49? I'll see you at the State Track Meet, son. That 4.26 should be one of the top times in the state.

BigRed01
11-18-2002, 05:58 PM
Texas_Flash:
Sorry guys I have to go with Elgin by 14. this team is the real deal they had there ups and downs but I think there threw with those mistakes. Personally I dont think the cardinals have enough "SPEED" to compete with the Wildcats on turf. The wildcats will bring there "A" game. good luck to both teams. Elgin 32 bridge city 19.Can't see that Texas Flash.....Elgin I sure has some speed, most teams in the second round do have some type of speed. That is a huge margin of victory against the 10-1 Cardinals. I disagree that Peebles is slow. I have seen him take off like a jet and just flat out run alot of secondary's. He is shifty, but he's got speed to burn also. You don't rush for nearly 2000 yards in one season, and run off and leave guys in the dust, gaining 210 yards against an extremely fast Barbers Hill team, or 225 yards against 4A LCM, or 253 yards against Hardin Jeff. The guy has not rushed for 100 yards in one game only this year. Believe me, he can take off and flat out run those safeties and corners. Not only is there Matt Peebles to contend with there is Jamie Knight, who is probably the most elusive player Elgin will see. Those are just two of the highlights, there are lots of players with speed on that team. Pretty much everyone has us picked over Elgin. However, I think Elgin will be a great challenge for BC, but in no which way would I ever imagine ya'll would beat us by 14. If you were on and we were off, I think you may take us by 2 or 3. If we're playing Cardinal football, we would definitely beat you by 10-14 points. I think Elgin is an on/off team by there scores. The only score that really remotely bothered me is that they beat Bellville, who I think is a really good team. Of course playing Giddings real close, kinda gives me the indication that one week your off the next your on.

Pudlugger
11-18-2002, 06:25 PM
bigcat8:
Wait a minute pud partner. I looked at your post and let it go for weeks. You talk like LG is the greatest thing since sliced bread. LG's defense is obviously salty.But to say that LG just came in and stomped the Cats is not true.13-10, boy that is getting stomped....I will say that LG is a class program and very well coached.BigCat8 you are putting words into my mouth, I never said stomped. I did say LG outplayed Elgin and I stand by that for the reasons given in my recent posts. I actually hope Elgin wins Friday so why don't we just leave it at that. I understand how you feel about the game but it is over. Peace. :cool:

AP_OLB_1
11-18-2002, 06:56 PM
well i dont know about BC not having speed.... they sure did great agianst everyone in our district and BH.. im picking BC by 14.. they shut out our offense and we are known for having a good offense. i dont think that we crossed the 50 to many times.. and being the punter i was put under alot of pressure the whole night... good luck BC and keep it up

Old Cardinal
11-18-2002, 08:45 PM
Thanks AP 1, We need all the support we can get. I thought you did well for your first year in 3A. Almost made the playoffs! Boy, I would bet there are a lot of 2A's that are glad that you folks moved up!

mindy
11-18-2002, 09:28 PM
elgin loses by at least 2 tds, barely beat a very young navasota team which beat them earlier in the year and elgin is a veteran football team, no discipline, and is very satisfied with a playoff win, bridge city is in another league, sorry elgin but discipline eventually catches up to you.... you do have the athletes to compete though, and everyone remember they beat a average 3a bellville team, only true win of the year, weak district and schedule

BH_146
11-18-2002, 09:30 PM
Old Cardinal, I have to agree with you about the importance of having playoff experience. I believe that is one factor which helped BC Saturday night. Bridge City's offense could only produce one touchdown drive which was over 10 yards but used other areas of the game to produce the desired results. And many times as a team advances, it's those type of contributions which make a difference. Though I know little about Elgin, I believe BC has enough playmakers to get a win. Good luck Cardinals.

AP_OLB_1
11-18-2002, 11:25 PM
thanks old card... i know that for a fact our whole team wishes we were still in 2a... i was there sittin on the BC side when yall played BH and cheering for yall... and im pretty sure that ill be there next game against elgin.. good luck to yall and keep it up!

j_dog
11-18-2002, 11:41 PM
duckbutter:
I REALLY want to see a Jasper-BC game so I'll have to root for the Cards.Ditto. No offense Elgin. Just want to play BC if Jasper can beat Yoe.

Duckbutter, I looked all over for you Saturday! Even your father-in-law didn't know where you were! ??

exbccards76'smom
11-19-2002, 01:30 AM
Just want to give Elgin a little preview of what to expect Saturday night... http://www.trianglefootball.net/football/02pic1445.jpg

eek! eek! eek!

ej2525
11-19-2002, 09:28 AM
Bravo on the picture!!! I look forward to seeing pictures like this in person for the first time this season. BC is coming to my neck of the woods for the first time this season. I suppose I may have to buy a set of the thunder sticks for the game and make a little noise!! :D

exbccards76'smom
11-19-2002, 09:58 AM
Thanks!! If you would like to view more BC pictures, go to the link for triangle football.net.at the bottom of the pic. There are great pictures on the site from all season long.

http://www.trianglefootball.net/football/02pic1445.jpg

:D :D :D

duckbutter
11-19-2002, 10:15 AM
J Dawg I was there, somewhere, rooting for the eagles. I was also at the Jasper game Friday night, met some fine Jasper fans that follow Newton as well as Burkville and Hemphill. Wouldn't be nice if Jasper and Newton played back to back each week so that we could see both teams play.

ej2525
11-19-2002, 10:15 AM
Been there done that... check that site daily. I just like that picture and also seeing it on this site.

Old Cardinal
11-19-2002, 11:32 AM
Thanks BH 146: I agree the break away plays by Knight and Peebles nailed the coffin shut. That "field savvy" that I keep talking about was so apparent went BH was attempting to throw a screen pass near their on goal line and Charlie Verrett, a kid wise beyond his years, in football, stepped around the BH setup linemen and intercepted the Northcutt pass.... Our problem is that we have lost over a half dozen of those 3rd year kids to injury, and their comes a time when your depth is being exhausted. Oh well, we went two rounds with a bunch of Soph's two years ago-it can be done.

<small>[ November 19, 2002, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Old Cardinal ]</small>

j_dog
11-19-2002, 12:12 PM
duckbutter:
J Dawg I was there, somewhere, rooting for the eagles. I was also at the Jasper game Friday night, met some fine Jasper fans that follow Newton as well as Burkville and Hemphill. Wouldn't be nice if Jasper and Newton played back to back each week so that we could see both teams play.Yes, but too bad this week. The games are at the same time. Hopefully, there will be a "next week" for both teams and we can play at Sam again.

Texas_Flash
11-19-2002, 03:29 PM
This will be a great game I would hope both teams want it bad, I know Elgin does they have'nt made it this far, or should i say to the playoffs in a while. There working hard to correct in problems they have. this squad is serious about winning.

ej2525
11-19-2002, 03:33 PM
Texas_Flash, I am guessing Elgin dropped down from 4A this year, am I right? If so, what district did they play in and what was their record last year?

Texas_Flash
11-19-2002, 04:10 PM
Sorry EJ, Elgin has never been 4a they've always been 3a last year they were in 18 3a with cameron yoe. they got 4th last year, But this year they have a ton of seniors they lack a little leadership but every player comes to play

bigcat8
11-19-2002, 04:19 PM
First Mindy and now flash. I have heard all the lack of leadership bullcorn I want to hear. Elgin has a good Sr and Jr class. Talk about something you know about, if not shut your piehole.. But don't go 3-8 and talk about another team's lack of leadership.... It has been your pleasure.

ej2525
11-19-2002, 04:30 PM
I was curious because they have the largest 3A enrollment in the state by the latest polls. I was just assuming they may have dropped down to 3A. Thanks!

RBARKER
11-20-2002, 08:41 AM
I know when the BH/BC game was being played there were a lot of people claiming they would basically bypass the next round to Play Jasper. Stay focused BC no looking ahead now if BC comes out with the intensity they did last saturday they will win by 14. IF they overlook this Elgin team that is quitely lurking in the shadows then BC will join BH for the rest of the year. Elgin looks to have a good defense and have played some good competition this year. Anyway goodluck BC take em out

Old Cardinal
11-20-2002, 09:51 AM
Hi RBARKER, I have not heard one word by anyone in Bridge City that were taking Elgin lightly. This team(BC) and it fans are facing their 8th playoff encounter in 3 years. We know that everyone has speed and resolve at this level. Our only hope is that our field leadership on defense and offense can utilize their seasoned knowledge of Playoff encounters to pull them through a game against a team with excellent talent. Our kids think real well on their feet, and that is the top asset that we have.

Pudlugger
11-20-2002, 10:01 AM
This will be a close game. If the Elgin team gets up for this game, I think they have enough talent to win. This is in no way a dis of BC, they are an excellent team, I just think it will be Elgin's turn this time.
Elgin 21
BC 14
:)

ej2525
11-20-2002, 10:34 AM
Care to wager on this one Pudlugger?? :D wink

Pudlugger
11-20-2002, 12:56 PM
ej2525:
Care to wager on this one Pudlugger?? :D wink LOL! No thanks, I never bet on football games! What's a BC fan doing out there in Fresno? Been through there a few times. Not too far from the National Parks and Sierras. Back packed there several times as a young man. Very pretty country. :)

Old Cardinal
11-20-2002, 01:15 PM
To Pud, I am always amazed at the following statewide and even southwest Louisiana of the Bridge City program. We even win popularity contest, as a team people volunteerly choose to follow. I would like to think its because of Good Sportsmanship displayed! We are also good neighbors, and when we lose: well go and back the teams from our area that are still alive in the Playoffs! Pud, If you come to a BC game, there will be a crowd- some driving long distances. Many times we will have twice as many folks at the game than the hometeam.

ej2525
11-20-2002, 01:25 PM
Pud, I sort of wish I were living in Fresno, CA. It sounds like a great place to live with all of the outdoor environment. However, I live in a less picturesque place called Fresno, TX which is a suburb community about 20 miles south of downtown Houston. No one but the people who live there ever seem to know where it is.

Pudlugger
11-20-2002, 05:03 PM
Opps! I missed the TX down there on the address line. Never been to Fresno TX. Folks do seem awful friendly from out your way Old Cardinal. We play Coldspring and they seem awful nice to. Well we can't let sentimentality get in the way of tough football, but it is always good to see folks display good sportsmanship by respecting other teams. Maybe I should root for the Cards the way some of these Elgin guys get onerery towards folks from La Grange on this board. LOL Just intradistrict rivalry. Same thing with Bellville and to a lesser extent Giddings, intense rivalries! Good luck and have a clean safe game. :D

BigRed01
11-20-2002, 07:12 PM
You know almost every team around here has good solid support for there respective schools on this board. But Eglin puzzles me. I have seen maybe one or two people that chirp in every once in a while. Maybe there town doesn't really give them good support. If you ask Burnet fans who's #1 they will gladly, (more than gladly-haha) tell you they are or post there opinions on this forum. Liberty who just got into the playoffs have people down there ready to bust walls down if you say they can't win. I can't figure out why Elgin does not have solid support for there team. They are doing good and in the second round.........ummmmmm........maybe somebody from the surrounding area up there can chime in and tell me what's going on over there. :rolleyes:

BigBrother70
11-20-2002, 08:16 PM
BigRed01:
You know almost every team around here has good solid support for there respective schools on this board. But Eglin puzzles me. I have seen maybe one or two people that chirp in every once in a while. Maybe there town doesn't really give them good support. If you ask Burnet fans who's #1 they will gladly, (more than gladly-haha) tell you they are or post there opinions on this forum. Liberty who just got into the playoffs have people down there ready to bust walls down if you say they can't win. I can't figure out why Elgin does not have solid support for there team. They are doing good and in the second round.........ummmmmm........maybe somebody from the surrounding area up there can chime in and tell me what's going on over there. :rolleyes: Elgin has alot of support, but talking crap on a board isn't one thing that is important to them.
I read this board daily and rarely comment.
I am usually in a Zebra shirt somewhere in the state on Fridays and hear enough trash talking and insults being shouted by too many people who watch football on Sundays and think they know the rules but don't have a clue about high school or college rules
Luckily, I will get to see Elgin play this Sat. I see many quailty teams during a season, Elgin does have a well balanced team.
Elgin is a well coached team that has great speed and size.
But as far as running another team down, or talking smack, nope, not tonight, not my style wink :D :cool:

ej2525
11-21-2002, 09:29 AM
Big Brother, are you going to be in a zebra suit this Saturday in Spring? eek!

<small>[ November 21, 2002, 08:29 AM: Message edited by: ej2525 ]</small>

BigRed01
11-21-2002, 02:26 PM
[/qb][/QUOTE]Elgin has alot of support, but talking crap on a board isn't one thing that is important to them.
I read this board daily and rarely comment.
I am usually in a Zebra shirt somewhere in the state on Fridays and hear enough trash talking and insults being shouted by too many people who watch football on Sundays and think they know the rules but don't have a clue about high school or college rules
Luckily, I will get to see Elgin play this Sat. I see many quailty teams during a season, Elgin does have a well balanced team.
Elgin is a well coached team that has great speed and size.
But as far as running another team down, or talking smack, nope, not tonight, not my style wink :D :cool: [/QB][/QUOTE]

I am not saying that you need to talk smack, nor am I inferring that you need to knock a team down to get your point across. It just appears to me that Elgin is doing good in the playoffs. A little dialogue of there strengths and weaknesses and to discuss their program over there is what the post refers to. There are a few people who come on here to talk smack, but the majority of people on here respect other teams and there programs, while discussing who we think will win week in and week out. The statement I made was true in the fact there are hardly any posters from Elgin on here......maybe there are the silent masses who really want and see Elgin winning a championship, but by what I have seen on this board, what I don't see is hardly any people openly supporting this team. wink

BigBrother70
11-21-2002, 03:07 PM
ej2525:
Big Brother, are you going to be in a zebra suit this Saturday in Spring? eek! NOPE only a spectator

BigRed01
11-21-2002, 03:23 PM
This is how texas power ratings has seen both Elgin and Bridge City's seasons. This is probably the most accurate poll and comparison out there going.

Team Pick place PF PA Rating
Gonzales -2 T 21 19 163.08
Austin Travis 19 H 34 00 164.44
Rockdale 13 T 22 28 160.84
Bellville -8 H 24 17 163.69
Navasota 10 T 07 24 158.56
Open 0 - 00 00 158.56
Hutto 25 H 21 00 158.20
LaGrange -8 H 10 13 158.65
Smithville 41 T 68 00 161.09
Manor 21 H 28 00 161.73
Giddings 9 T 21 17 161.28
Navasota 8 - 22 13 161.33
Bridge City -7 - 00 00 161.33

Now lets look at Bridge City
LCM 23 T 27 07 169.81
Open 00 - 00 00 169.81
Liberty 26 T 30 08 169.46
Newton 5 H 00 21 164.48
Hamshire Fannet 3 T 35 31 164.54
Orangefield 24 H 36 00 165.61
Hardin Jeff 17 T 27 21 164.63
Hardin 27 H 42 00 165.97
Kountze 32 T 35 00 166.23
Buna 23 T 40 12 166.68
Anahauc 26 H 26 00 166.64
Barbers Hill 3 - 31 14 167.94
Elgin 7 - 00 00 167.94

I think this is a really good comparison of the two and there seasons......this poll on all teams and rankings is pretty accurate. It kinda shows Elgin in the class of "which team will show up for BC" Should be a real good game.

Old Cardinal
11-21-2002, 09:09 PM
Well Big Red 01: we know very little about Elgin after all this time. They beat Bellville and Bellville beat Cameron Yoe who is already claiming victory of Jasper. Boy that is fantasyland- kind of like those Pollsters from DWF touting Lindale and some of the others, for most of the year. Boy there are some tusch-hog teams in the baygalls of East Texas this year! But you know, outside of Forney in Region II, there seems to be a LOT of solid teams in Region I and Region IV, also.

Pudlugger
11-21-2002, 11:34 PM
Old Cardinal:
Well Big Red 01: we know very little about Elgin after all this time. They beat Bellville and Bellville beat Cameron Yoe who is already claiming victory of Jasper. Boy that is fantasyland- kind of like those Pollsters from DWF touting Lindale and some of the others, for most of the year. Boy there are some tusch-hog teams in the baygalls of East Texas this year! But you know, outside of Forney in Region II, there seems to be a LOT of solid teams in Region I and Region IV, also.I think you are correct, most folks don't know much about Elgin. I saw them play La Grange and they are a very big and physical team. The DL is 6'4" 240lbs and right DE 6'6" and about 250. The QB Isom is fast and shifty and can pass but they prefer to run. Overall team speed is excellent. They were the best team La Grange has played including Yoakum who beat us in our season openner in week zero. La Grange beat them defensively by containing Isom inside. If he gets around the corner, kiss him goodbye. BC better take this team seriously as they can play football with anyone in 3a. I think it will be close but I pick Elgin by 7. Good luck to both teams! :cool: