PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer Buckeyes to receive championship rings

Gilmer Buckeye
03-18-2005, 05:08 PM
http://img2.uploadimages.net/757010web316ring.jpg

oh well
03-18-2005, 05:35 PM
Great Idea. The cover looks great as well. Let us know how it goes.

oh well
03-18-2005, 05:36 PM
what is kui and 4 in 04 stand for

crzyjournalist03
03-18-2005, 05:39 PM
Originally posted by oh well
what is kui and 4 in 04 stand for

KUI...kicker under influence????

Manck
03-18-2005, 05:43 PM
KUI was the Buckeyes' rallying cry based on the last name of Hawaiian linebacker Chaz Kuikahi. The "KUI" part of Kuikahi means "coming together as one."

"4 in '04" refers the Gilmer High's 4 straight undefeated district seasons.

Hope that the ceremony goes great, since I can't make it back.

Buffalo
03-18-2005, 06:42 PM
Manc
Let me know how it goes. Coach Traylor and his staff do things right. I bet this is a real exciting time. Does everyone get a ring?

Gilmer Buckeye
03-18-2005, 06:47 PM
Everyone gets a ring.

I even helped one of the managers get a ring. He did some yard work for me.

JHS_c/o_06'
03-18-2005, 08:16 PM
Congradulations yall.....you earned it...you played a hell of a game.

.....i just hope i can get mine next year.

TOPS1435
03-18-2005, 10:04 PM
There are some 70+ players getting rings plus coaches and the trainer. That's more rings than in Wagner's Ring Cycle! All of the JV and freshmen players who participated in playoff season practices as scout team members will also receive rings. Coach Traylor appreciates their contribution to the success even if they were not on the field in Nac.

One player, Jake Holladay, as opted not to attend because he will be in north-central Texas not far from Hillsboro in an All-Star Basketball game. He still wants a basketball scholarship, but got some nibbles for football after the playoff run.

j_dog
03-18-2005, 10:09 PM
Congratulations to the Gilmer players and coaches. You earned and deserve the rings! :clap:

Rockdale Tiger
03-18-2005, 11:19 PM
The ring looks sweet. I would go with white gold instead of yellow gold.

Gobbla2001
03-18-2005, 11:21 PM
I don't care if it was made out of wood, I would have loved one...

Buffalo
03-18-2005, 11:25 PM
wOOD IS FINE WITH ME AS WELL

TOPS1435
03-20-2005, 11:28 AM
The Civic Center which holds almost 1100 people was 85-90% full. The players arrived in four groups in a stretch Explorer.

The evening opened with a video review of the season which included a rap, Black Rain, written by a local business man. There's even a CD which I have not bought yet with a rap by the players on it. The funds raised from selling the cd will be used by the booster club to send kids to football camp this summer.

Local business people paid for neat trophey's for the coaches, a football of what may be Waterford crystal (or a good acrylic imitation). Each crystal football stands on a wooden base. The surprise section of the presentation was giving Jeff Traylor's secretary one also.

Some of the players went together and presented a trophey to the trainer who they argured spent more time in the field house than the coaches.

Players came up in groups: practice squads, receivers, linebackers, etc. to receive their medals and rings from their coaches. It took a while for all that to happen.

Josh McCown, who spent 3 frustrating years at SMU before taking Sam Houston to a D-2A championship and is now starting for the Arizona Cardinals, spokes. At least seven or eight of the coaches were with McCown in Jacksonville.

Long, fun night for the boys.

Hupernikomen
03-20-2005, 06:58 PM
That's what championship should be all about..community pride and celebration. Congrats again to the Buckeyes....hard work pays off.

aforbs19
03-20-2005, 11:25 PM
Wylie got their state rings wednesday, but we didnt have any celebration or anything. they just handed our rings to us after school.

spiveyrat
03-21-2005, 07:33 AM
Originally posted by TOPS1435

Josh McCown, who spent 3 frustrating years at SMU before taking Sam Houston to a D-2A championship and is now starting for the Arizona Cardinals, spokes. At least seven or eight of the coaches were with McCown in Jacksonville.

I don't remember SHSU winning a championship. :confused:
They made it to the semi's last year...

big daddy russ
03-21-2005, 08:07 AM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
I don't remember SHSU winning a championship. :confused:
They made it to the semi's last year...
Didn't they lose to eventual champ Montana? Maybe I'm wrong or maybe I'm thinking of one of the other McCowns.

And did McCown go to Gilmer or have ties there? I thought they all went to Jacksonville.

spiveyrat
03-21-2005, 08:25 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Didn't they lose to eventual champ Montana? Maybe I'm wrong or maybe I'm thinking of one of the other McCowns.

And did McCown go to Gilmer or have ties there? I thought they all went to Jacksonville.

Yes, they lost to Montana in the semi's. Dustin Long was the quarterback this past year.

Gilmer Buckeye
03-21-2005, 09:15 AM
Traylor and several of his associates coached as assistants under Danny Long for a good number of years. They were there when all three McCowns came through the Jacksonville football ranks. That's the tie.