PDA

View Full Version : No more booty shakin? :(

TheDOCTORdre
03-18-2005, 01:13 PM
Lawmaker seeks to end sexy cheerleading
Story Tools: Print Email
Associated Press
Posted: 33 minutes ago

AUSTIN (AP) - The Friday night lights in Texas could soon be without bumpin' and grindin' cheerleaders. Legislation filed by Rep. Al Edwards would put an end to "sexually suggestive" performances at athletic events and other extracurricular competitions.

"It's just too sexually oriented, you know, the way they're shaking their behinds and going on, breaking it down," said Edwards, a 26-year veteran of the Texas House. "And then we say to them, 'don't get involved in sex unless it's marriage or love, it's dangerous out there' and yet the teachers and directors are helping them go through those kind of gyrations."

Rep. Al Edwards is shown after he filed legislation that would put an end to "sexually suggestive" cheerleading and spirit team routines . (Harry Cabluck / AP)

Under Edwards' bill, if a school district knowingly permits such a performance, funds from the state would be reduced in an amount to be determined by the education commissioner.

Edwards said he filed the bill as a result of several instances of seeing such ribald performances in his district.

J.M. Farias, owner of Austin Cheer Factory, said cheerleading aficionados would welcome the law. Cheering competitions, he said, penalize for suggestive movements or any vulgarity.

"Any coaches that are good won't put that in their routines," he said. And, most girls cheering on Friday nights were trained by professionals who know better, he said.

"I don't think this law would really shake the industry at all. In fact, it would give parents a better feeling, mostly dads and boyfriends, too," Farias said.

Although cheerleaders must meet the same no-pass, no-play academic requirements of athletes, cheerleading is not a competition sanctioned by the University Interscholastic League, the governing body of Texas high school sports.

The UIL also does not have performance regulations for squads who cheer for their teams at state championships, said Athletic Coordinator Peter Contreras.

"I think it should have been cut out a long time ago," Edwards said. "It surely needs

Bullaholic
03-18-2005, 01:42 PM
My $.02---I am a lot more appalled by a middle-aged man in a position of authority who does not think that most adult men who are married and have families and daughters can watch cheerleaders without the kind of inappropriate thoughts that he seems unable to supress.

GreenMonster
03-18-2005, 01:57 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
My $.02---I am a lot more appalled by a middle-aged man in a position of authority who does not think that most adult men who are married and have families and daughters can watch cheerleaders without the kind of inappropriate thoughts that he seems unable to supress.

:clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap: :clap:
I think the Legislature has bigger fish to fry than cheerleaders. If they don't screw their heads on quickly then the entire public schools system will go straight to Heck in a hand basket.

crzyjournalist03
03-18-2005, 03:25 PM
Isn't high school supposed to prepare you for life in the real world?

Come on, how many cheerleaders are actually going to be able to make it in the real world based upon their smarts? They have to practice the booty shaking! How else do they hope to succeed in life??? :thinking:

*Disclaimer* The preceding message was meant only in sarcasm...crzyjournalist03 does not endorse any sort of unnecessary sexual behavior, nor does he subscribe to the stereotype of cheerleaders lacking brains.

LH Panther Mom
03-18-2005, 03:32 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
*Disclaimer* The preceding message was meant only in sarcasm...crzyjournalist03 does not endorse any sort of unnecessary sexual behavior, nor does he subscribe to the stereotype of cheerleaders lacking brains.

Nice save! :D

sinton66
03-18-2005, 09:53 PM

Wimped out, didn't ya?:D

AP Panther Fan
03-18-2005, 10:07 PM
LOL...this law would seriously hurt the West Oso drill team. I think quite a few of us in South Texas have seen them bustin' their moves from across the field.:D

Maybe THAT is why Phil C. is such a fan???:thinking:

mustang04
03-18-2005, 10:12 PM
but.....*sniffle*.....i LIKE the booty shakin....that lawmaker is either gay, o he's just mad at some cheerleader who would never date him in highschool.....what a loser:p

AP Panther Fan
03-18-2005, 10:16 PM
Originally posted by mustang04
but.....*sniffle*.....i LIKE the booty shakin....that lawmaker is either gay, o he's just mad at some cheerleader who would never date him in highschool.....what a loser:p

You're probably right....this guy couldn't think of any serious problems to solve obviously...:rolleyes: :D

big daddy russ
03-19-2005, 12:12 AM
How exactly would you judge it? Can they no longer move their hips at all? Is it now illegal?

I don't see how it would work. You'd be arguing semantics.

Gobbla2001
03-19-2005, 12:15 AM
No more booty shaking at the games?

Dangit, won't be able to enjoy West Oso's half-time shows anymore...

AP Panther Fan
03-19-2005, 12:20 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
No more booty shaking at the games?

Dangit, won't be able to enjoy West Oso's half-time shows anymore...

ahhh ha....i knew i wasn't the only one that noticed! :D

I doubt the Godfather will even open this thread to see that we are talking about his "howling bears"...:evillaugh :evillaugh :evillaugh

Gobbla2001
03-19-2005, 12:33 AM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
ahhh ha....i knew i wasn't the only one that noticed! :D

It sure was different... It was the first time I had seen Cuero play a team whose drill team did that...

Pretty neat I thought...

AP Panther Fan
03-19-2005, 12:37 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
It sure was different... It was the first time I had seen Cuero play a team whose drill team did that...

Pretty neat I thought...

Yes, they are unique in our area and rather entertaining.:D

What is funny is that they have a little (maybe) 5 year old that leads the group and she has the moves down better than the older girls.:D Really cute!

JasperDog94
03-19-2005, 12:59 AM
I think most of you are missing the point. The point isn't about a man that might look at the cheerleaders, dance teams, etc... and have dirty thoughts. The point is that it isn't appropriate for minors to "bump and grind" and call it school spirit. How many of you can say that you'd want to see your daughter (those of you that have them) out there gyrating with pelvic thrusts to the music and that you'd be proud of it? Yeah, nothing says school spirit like me "gettin' down on it".:rolleyes:

AP Panther Fan
03-19-2005, 01:19 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I think most of you are missing the point. The point isn't about a man that might look at the cheerleaders, dance teams, etc... and have dirty thoughts. The point is that it isn't appropriate for minors to "bump and grind" and call it school spirit. How many of you can say that you'd want to see your daughter (those of you that have them) out there gyrating with pelvic thrusts to the music and that you'd be proud of it? Yeah, nothing says school spirit like me "gettin' down on it".:rolleyes:

I appreciate your perspective and hope I didn't offend you. I truly do think there are bigger problems in the world today and maybe our elected officials should try to focus on them. I am not trying to open up a "huge can of worms"...

I have daughters and IF our school had a program that was inappropriate, they would not participate, but that would be our choice, not someone else's. As a matter of fact, I would be the one down at the school trying to change it, because I...like you am very involved with the youth in our community.:)

JasperDog94
03-19-2005, 01:27 AM
I'm not offended in the least. I agree with someone earlier that said it's a tough call to make. Who decides what's inappropriate and what's not? It's hard to legislate morality and I'm afraid that's what this is. If nothing else it brings this problem to the light of day.

Several years ago, Smiley was playing Jasper in Jasper. The band members (except for the drummers) all put their horns down, lined up one right behind the other, and had one huge line of "bumping and grinding". I thought the point of a band was to entertain...without the pole.:eek: Seriously, it was very inappropriate. A teacher wrote in to the paper that she was upset that her young child was watching that. Others accused the teacher of being a racist. (That's another "can of worms") They couldn't understand why she was upset.

Bottom line is this bill will never pass. It's a problem that needs to be delt with on the local level. Unfortunately, most schools will continue to turn a blind eye to it.:(

AP Panther Fan
03-19-2005, 01:33 AM
Originally posted by JasperDog94
I'm not offended in the least. I agree with someone earlier that said it's a tough call to make. Who decides what's inappropriate and what's not? It's hard to legislate morality and I'm afraid that's what this is. If nothing else it brings this problem to the light of day.

Several years ago, Smiley was playing Jasper in Jasper. The band members (except for the drummers) all put their horns down, lined up one right behind the other, and had one huge line of "bumping and grinding". I thought the point of a band was to entertain...without the pole.:eek: Seriously, it was very inappropriate. A teacher wrote in to the paper that she was upset that her young child was watching that. Others accused the teacher of being a racist. (That's another "can of worms") They couldn't understand why she was upset.

Bottom line is this bill will never pass. It's a problem that needs to be delt with on the local level. Unfortunately, most schools will continue to turn a blind eye to it.:(

:thumbsup:

by the way, have you ever seen the Grambling Marching Band? Best half-time show I have ever seen...truly talented kids. :)