PDA

View Full Version : Beach Brawl @ South Padre Island

ILS1
03-17-2005, 10:07 AM
By Sergio Chapa
THE BROWNSVILLE HERALD
Thursday, March 17, 2005

BROWNSVILLE -- Law enforcement officials said Wednesday that they are working to identify suspects in Tuesday's beach brawl on South Padre Island.

Five people were hospitalized after what reportedly began as a spring break fistfight snowballed to a fight involving more than a hundred people near the Radisson Resort, near the southern end of the island.

The cause of the 5:30 p.m. melee remained unknown Wednesday, but witnesses told The Brownsville Herald on Tuesday that it could have been caused by the destruction of a religious sand sculpture or sparked by rivalries between schools.

Some witnesses said the brawl was mostly between students from the University of Texas and Oklahoma University. Others said it was between UT and Texas A&M students, and some witnesses said the brawl involved Baylor University students.

"It started out as your basic college chant and turned into a large amorphous mass," an unidentifiedUT student who witnessed the brawl was quoted as saying in Tuesday's Herald. "They were throwing chairs, ice chests and bottles."

Some witnesses said the brawl was started by people who intentionally walked on a sand sculpture of Jesus, but others said the work of art was a casualty of the violence.

"It just made it worse," an unidentified A&M student said of the destruction of the sand sculpture.

South Padre Island Police Chief Robert Rodriguez said investigators are particularly interested in finding the instigators to what they claim was a small scrap, despite witness reports to the contrary.

No arrests had been made as of Wednesday, Rodriguez said. Police are asking witnesses who have pictures or video images of the incident to come forward.

Rodriguez said that security on the island is adequate and that law and order will be maintained. Police, he said, were able to gain control the scene quickly.

Beach Brawl (http://www.statesman.com/metrostate/content/auto/epaper/editions/thursday/metro_state_2493935e116e71180064.html)

:eek:

LH Panther Mom
03-17-2005, 10:57 AM
Originally posted by ILS1
By Sergio Chapa
THE BROWNSVILLE HERALD
Thursday, March 17, 2005

BROWNSVILLE -- spring break fistfight snowballed to a fight involving more than a hundred people near the Radisson Resort, near the southern end of the island.

investigators claim was a small scrap

:eek:

100 people is a small scrap? :eek: I wonder what they consider to be a huge brawl? :thinking:

AP Panther Fan
03-17-2005, 11:03 AM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
100 people is a small scrap? :eek: I wonder what they consider to be a huge brawl? :thinking:

You know, this is probably they "used" to release colleges at different times. They will probably go back to that way of thinking if these sorts of "scraps":rolleyes: continue.

Bullaholic
03-17-2005, 11:09 AM
If we don't see Jason post for a couple of days, we will know where he went and what happened.

LH Panther Mom
03-17-2005, 11:15 AM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
If we don't see Jason post for a couple of days, we will know where he went and what happened.

ROFL!!! :clap: :clap: :D

Phil C
03-17-2005, 12:46 PM
UT, A&M, & OU better reschedule their spring break times. Such immature behavior from supposed our future leaders. Shame on them all!! :mad:

Phil C
03-17-2005, 12:47 PM
I am so mad I may send my right hand man SintonFan down there to do some counseling that they won't like. :mad:

;) :D

LH Panther Mom
03-17-2005, 12:48 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I am so mad I may send my right hand man SintonFan down there to do some counseling that they won't like. :mad:

;) :D

You're the man! :D ;)

jason
03-17-2005, 12:49 PM
UT, A&M, & OU better reschedule their spring break times. Such immature behavior from supposed our future leaders. Shame on them all!! :mad: there were maybe 100 out of probably 10,000+ get into a little argument....get over it...

Phil C
03-17-2005, 12:52 PM
Originally posted by jason
there were maybe 100 out of probably 10,000+ get into a little argument....get over it...

You are right jason. I am so ashame! Even the good GodFather needs to be straightened out. Why if you put one bad apple in a large bag of good apples there is no way that apple can make them all bad! Shame on me!

:D

jason
03-17-2005, 12:54 PM
You are right jason. I am so ashame! Even the good GodFather needs to be straightened out. Why if you put one bad apple in a large bag of good apples there is no way that apple can make them all bad! Shame on me!

:D glad to be of assistance...:nerd:

AP Panther Fan
03-17-2005, 12:55 PM

Hmmm, I am still thinking about that one. I personally think you had it right the first time.:D

Maroon87
03-17-2005, 12:59 PM
Unfortunately stuff like this happens just about every Spring Break, going back to when I was in school. Of course, a fight involving 100 people is quite out of the ordinary.

Bullaholic
03-17-2005, 01:06 PM
Break + Booze + Boys + Babes + Beach = Brawl

Anybody really shocked?

Phil C
03-17-2005, 02:24 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Break + Booze + Boys + Babes + Beach = Brawl

Anybody really shocked?

I am shocked! shocked! shocked! And Jason is right! Out of 10,000+ thiat was the action of only 100! The only question is why didn't that 10,000+ stop the fight and restrain them. It seems like that many could have handled the 100! :mad:

SintonFan
03-17-2005, 02:52 PM

No Boss! He shamed you!
Let me at him!!!!!:mad: :mad: :D

Phil C
03-17-2005, 03:20 PM
Originally posted by SintonFan
No Boss! He shamed you!
Let me at him!!!!!:mad: :mad: :D

I knew my loyal workers would respond! Be civilized my people! We must be tolerant! But thank you for your loyalty but please observe restraint! :)

District303aPastPlayer
03-17-2005, 03:21 PM
hmmmz... no lie... im surprised nothing like this has happened here in Corpus. The mentality of some of the people who wind up on the island is a bit lower than the norm.

AP Panther Fan
03-17-2005, 03:37 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
hmmmz... no lie... im surprised nothing like this has happened here in Corpus. The mentality of some of the people who wind up on the island is a bit lower than the norm.

What is scary is that some of them carry guns etc....

oh wait, that's the locals!:rolleyes:

District303aPastPlayer
03-17-2005, 03:38 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

most of the idiots that will go to North Padre and Port A carry BBQ knives and forks :D not much else.

big daddy russ
03-18-2005, 07:32 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan

You ain't lying. One of the guys I that was on my team way back in little league is in the pen for that crap.

mustang04
03-18-2005, 07:54 PM
i was there from sunday till yesterday.....and i can tell you that it was from the school rivalries....i stood by the sculpture of Jesus and everyone around me was showing respect....i left early wed. tho cuz it was wayyyy too cold to stay on the beach, but i be that whoever walked on the Jesus was most likely drunk and was oblivious to what they were doing....besides all that, Padre is AWESOME!!!