PDA

View Full Version : Burnet next year in the 2003 football season

Burnet_Dawg
12-31-2002, 07:52 PM
How do you think Burnet will do next year?

marlin fan
12-31-2002, 08:00 PM
I think Burnet will do great in the year 2003

Can't wait till yall play us

Keith7
12-31-2002, 08:15 PM
They will be good.. un less they play Gainesville

sinfan75
12-31-2002, 10:00 PM
Burnet should be the team to beat next year.

Burnet_Dawg
01-01-2003, 03:17 AM
Yeah I also think we should do good next year because of the the players returning. The Seniors that we lost were Running back Patrick Miller, Tight end Mason Templeton, Left Tackle Eddie Parker, Center Tyrel Felps, DE Mark Manning and Thomas Ham, FS Warren Christian. Those were our starters that won't be here next year but hopefully we will be able to replace them with success. Don't worry we'll still have Jordan Shipley and Stephen Mcgee!!!!
Can't wait till' next year so that we can play another great game against Marlin and hopefully reach the third round to play Sinton,if both teams make it that far to do so.

And Keith7, I wouldn't be so cocky if i were you!

Chris Hart
01-01-2003, 11:22 AM
Keith7:
They will be good.. un less they play GainesvilleKeith, your right. Burnet will be good unless they play Gainesville, if that happens, there is no doubt that Burnet then would be considered GREAT.
:D :D :D

Old Cardinal
01-01-2003, 01:30 PM
To Chris and Burnett_Dawg...I think Burnet can win State ONLY if they develop a stronger running game. I have seen many Extra Strong passing teams go down in defeat through the years. When Todd Dodge was smoking everyone(QB-Thomas Jefferson, Port Arthur, years ago) with his passing attack, we all sat back and waited..a one deminsional team-enhances there chances of winning games that they could not win any other way. Likewise, if they meet stiff good coverage and can't complete at an extra high precentage; then passing become the albatrose that causes them to be upset. That is why the Everman's tend to take home all the marbles, in the end. I promise, your team's passing attack was spectacular against Jasper-you hit them in a most vunerable spot and your good Coaching capitalized, bring the demise of an exceptional team. With a balanced attack, I too think you could win it all, next season. Trying to go 15 games on a few skill position superior people, however usually does not complete the course. I have a feeling with your good Coaching you will do quite well in 2003.

Burnet Dawg06
01-01-2003, 04:57 PM
Burnet will have a really awsome season this year! We won't be playing Gainesville during the regular season because isn't Gainseville by Dallas? But maybe in the playoffs!

Keith7
01-01-2003, 05:19 PM
Burnet Dawg06:
Burnet will have a really awsome season this year! We won't be playing Gainesville during the regular season because isn't Gainseville by Dallas? But maybe in the playoffs!Yes Gainesville is 7 miles from the red river.. and 69 miles north of dallas.. i was just messin w/ yall about that

Chris Hart
01-01-2003, 05:26 PM
Old Card, I agree with you somewhat. I agree a championship team has to have a good running game, but to imply that Burnet's ground game wasn't strong is just not so. Patrick Miller gained around 1900yds. on around 200 carries, and McGee and Levens both had several hundred yards. They were our 3 primary ball carriers. We threw for around 3,000 yds and rushed for probably 2,800-3,000 yds. I know we were almost exactly 50/50 run/pass throughout the year. Now if you are talking about the 2003 season, I'll agree with you that it is going to be ALMOST impossible to replace Patrick Miller(who I think was one of the top 5 in the state). Chris Levens will be an adequate replacement, but he doesn't have the breakaway speed or patience of Patrick 'MillerTime'( as he was known in Burnet). Burnet will probably pass even more in 2003 than they did this year, but our group of receivers should be much better in 2003. Burnet needs to find some capable replacements for 2 offensive lineman, we lost our center and an all-state tackle. On defense we need to replace 2 defensive ends, one an all-stater, if we can fill those 4 positions then Burnet should be a handful again next year.

Chris Hart
01-01-2003, 05:30 PM
Keith7:

Burnet Dawg06:
Burnet will have a really awsome season this year! We won't be playing Gainesville during the regular season because isn't Gainseville by Dallas? But maybe in the playoffs!Yes Gainesville is 7 miles from the red river.. and 69 miles north of dallas.. i was just messin w/ yall about thatKeith are you sure that Gainesville isn't 7 miles north of the Red River? :p

Keith7
01-01-2003, 06:01 PM
Chris Hart:

Keith7:

Burnet Dawg06:
Burnet will have a really awsome season this year! We won't be playing Gainesville during the regular season because isn't Gainseville by Dallas? But maybe in the playoffs!Yes Gainesville is 7 miles from the red river.. and 69 miles north of dallas.. i was just messin w/ yall about thatKeith are you sure that Gainesville isn't 7 miles north of the Red River? :p yeah.. I dont live in oklahoma

Burnet_Dawg
01-01-2003, 06:43 PM
We also need to replace the free safety position because Warren Christian was awesome. And the state game coulda been closer if Mcgee wasn't injured and was mobile enough to run the ball since all of our receivers were not open. We also shold of threw the ball to Mason Templeton more because thet locked up Shipley after that touchdown catch but Mason's two big catches set that touchdown up on the first drive of the game. Usually we are 65/35 pass in the season, but they shut our passing game down and our running game worked pretty good but not good enough. They were the better team to say that day.

DOGS1
01-02-2003, 02:35 PM
Burnets final stats (all 15 games):

TOTAL OFF.:
736 plays 5,693 yards 77 td

PASSING:
295 att. 2,938 yards 37 td

RUSHING:
441 att. 2,755 yards 40 td

NOW THAT IS BALANCED!!!!!

If you look at the play calling, Burnet was a 60/40 run/pass team. I think it helps us alot when everyone thanks that we are one diminsional.

Had we rellied only on the passing game, I beleive Burnet would have made a much earlier exit from the playoffs.

I agree Chris, we must do the same next year, and I think Levens can do it good enough to not miss Miller to much.

Our biggest loss will be on the D-line. (BOTH ENDS)

Old Dog
01-02-2003, 04:12 PM
Dog1...Thanks for those final stats! I knew we were mored balanced than most people gave Burnet credit for, but thats really cool. I think McGee/Shipley was just so outstanding (and got more press) that the gound game was underestimated. Patrick Miller will be hard to replace if not impossible, although Levens should do a solid job next year, especially with more carries. Burnet got a lot of press over the OL, but not many out-of-towners know there was 1 junior and 2 sophs on it. That could help ground yardage production next year too.

<small>[ January 02, 2003, 03:16 PM: Message edited by: Old Dog ]</small>

cunbed10
01-03-2003, 09:48 AM
Our guys here in Marlin have alot of respect for the Quarterback and Wide receiver from Burnet. #4 and #5 for Marlin were the only two in the weight room that said Burnet over Jasper that week, and they were right. We played you guys a week before the Ennis game and I have to say that lost to Burnet helped us beat Ennis and eventually that was the one and only lost until Bellville beat us. We had 4 overtime games this year Burnet was the first overtime lost so I guess you can say you guys are a measuring stick on 3A football. Glad to have the pleasure of playing you guys.

Burnet-05
01-03-2003, 10:37 PM
I'm pretty confident in our team for next year...
we should do great. Good luck to all the other teams and have a great off-season...I know Burnet will...