PDA

View Full Version : Palacios Sharks new HC/AD...

Gobbla2001
03-15-2005, 06:49 PM
Mike Treybig, who just left Sweeny, has taken over as their new AD/HC...

Had a 57-20 record at 2A Vanderbilt Industrial when he was there (7 years)... Forget his record at Sweeny...

Anyway, the Palacios Sharks do not get much publicity on the internet and have little if any online representation in regards to 'posters' etc..., so I figured I'd post it...

This is prolly the best thing to happen to Palacios since 1967 when they won a state championship, which is also the year of their last playoff appearance... Hope it works out for 'em...

(FYI- They currently have a 20 game losing streak in district...

WOS1
03-15-2005, 06:56 PM
If I'm not mistaken, Palacios either played for, or won a state title at one time. It may have been 50 years ago, but I thought I saw them on one of those lists before.

Gobbla2001
03-15-2005, 06:57 PM
Originally posted by WOS1
If I'm not mistaken, Palacios either played for, or won a state title at one time. It may have been 50 years ago, but I thought I saw them on one of those lists before.

Yah, I just edited that, intended to include it in the orgional post, but forgot... I think it may have been 2A in '67, I forget...

Old Green
03-15-2005, 07:57 PM
Palacious beat Marlin 12-0 in 1964.

I work with a guy over in Bay City that was a half back on that team.

Gobbla2001
03-15-2005, 08:43 PM
Ahhh, there it is... 1964...

Phil C
03-16-2005, 09:40 AM
There were several small town teams that won State Champions in football from that area in the 60s. In 1966 Sweeny won 2A by beating Granbury 20 to 7 and in 1967 in 1A Tidehaven beat Clifton 7 to 6. I think at that time and maybe even now Tidehaven consisted of several small towns which included Tivoli and area towns. I am not sure though but they are from close that area.

Phil C
03-16-2005, 09:45 AM
In 1966 due to integration laws Sweeny had what many considered a dream team in 2A and many thought they were the best team in 2A ever. That was because the year before the integration in 1965 Sweeny had a good team that reached regional and had a lot of good players back. There was a black school there that was considered a good black team so with the integration the 2A was considered a shoo in for them. The white Sweeny head coach was the head coach but that black head coach joined them as an assistant and it worked out well for them. Sweeny was a great team but in the playoffs proved there was no such thing as an unbeatable team because they had some games that could have gone the other way. San Antonio Randolph game and the Bastrop game come to mind. But they were a great team anyway and got the state championship that year.

As a side note my old high school, Freer ISD, came withing 2 yards and an extra point (in the last minute of the game with San Antonio Randolph before losing 6 to 0) of getting to play Sweeny in the quarterfinals. Cat 22's father was a key member of that Freer Buckaroo football team. Randolph had the size and speed on us but Freer was determined and almost pulled the upset at the end.

g$$
03-22-2005, 04:00 AM
You are right on the money. That '66 Sweeny team was loaded with many future D1 players & even pros. That team is legendary in Sweeny & Brazoria County. They integrated to put the Carver black kids with the white kids. Integration was on the horizon anyway, but they sped up the process & it worked. Ed Waggoner was the coach, & the Carver school won the Black School Title the previous year. Meshing egos amid all that tension of integration had to be a tough chore. Elmo Wright, the 1st player to ever end zone dance while at UH & later in the pros, is the most recognizable name. But many others went on to play like Quinn Thomas, Louis Helm, Larry Chandler, Dickey Williams, & others. I counted one time & Sweeny has put 9 kids into the NFL up to now, with 3 still playing (Cedric Woodard, George Layne, Kevin Garrett). Maybe Coach Tommy Z. can bring back the magic & restore the Pride. Just give him time. Good stuff.

scrub c
03-24-2005, 09:39 AM
what does it take to get into the NFL ?

do I need to move my kids to sweeny so they can get into the NFL ?

....I mean, you make sweeny sound like an NFL producing mecca.

Oh yeah, and I thought George Layne finished out his football at Avlin HS.....

FbCoachB40
03-24-2005, 09:48 AM
that is just like g$$ to start talking Sweeny football in light of the baseball loss

scrub c
03-24-2005, 09:50 AM
Cedric Woodard UNBELIEVABLE talent for a big kid. took 3 to block him and sometimes that didnt work........

and Kevin Garrett, (I hope he dont come beat me up), didnt get good at football till college. Now dont get me wrong, he was the fastest human on the football field and the track, but as far as HS football, he was only slightly above average.

scrub c
03-24-2005, 09:52 AM
So my question is, does the town you move your kids to affect their ability to go to the NFL ?

scrub c
03-24-2005, 09:54 AM
or will the great players rise to the top and get there no matter where they live?

pancho villa
03-24-2005, 09:55 AM
g$$ get a life.

How did Sweeny do last fri. aginst Palacios?

g$$
03-24-2005, 03:37 PM
All you WC idiots are the ones who need to get a life. I simply responded to a post concerning the 1960s. All you know is now because y'all finally won a few games. As far as the NFL, WC has not had one since Wayne Williams in 1987. Long drought there scrub boys. And yes, having a quality program does factor into producing & developing D1 talent & possibly NFL guys. Sweeny had that for a long time. And for the learning challenged again, George Layne is a Sweeny boy born & raised who only finished his senior year in Alvin due to family reasons. What would WC know about a quality, sustained program besides nothing? Tell me now when you last won a state title in anything? Thanks, you're done.

As for baseball, I hear Sweeny is struggling some. Lost huh, did not see a score. That is a surprise to Palacios, but I know Sweeny's ace did not throw that game. His season pitching & hitting stats sure looked fine to me in the Houston Chronicle Tuesday. His stock has only risen. Now some other kids need to step up, no doubt it's a team game. I would not read too much into one game with 9 to go. I am still coming next Tuesday to the armpit of Brazoria County so look me up Scrub, Pancho, etc. & we can visit. Hope your lights stay on this year. Track is SOOO fun to talk about Pancho. About as much fun as your appetite, & funny how you now want to talk baseball since you always try to belittle it. I like face to face better anyway. Same with you Wharton FB. You guys are too easy, now take your feet off your teacher's desk & earn your check.

Gobbla2001
03-24-2005, 07:10 PM
Phil C - Tivoli and the Tidehaven school are about 50 or more minutes apart, Tivoli is in between Rockport and Port Lavaca, I believe Tidehaven is in between Palacios and Bay City... Tivoli kids go to 'Austwell-Tivoli'...

Also, I believe that Van Vleck won one in 2A back in those days...

As for this WC/Sweeny arguement, y'all prolly know more than I do...

scrub c
03-25-2005, 07:53 AM
LOL

keep living in the past g-boy.

My only question is: how long will it take for you to start bashing and blaming the coach. (like you did another coach earlier this year)

and I will not be at the game on Tuesday.

raider red 2000
03-26-2005, 10:19 AM
why was the sweeny ace on the bench against the sharks? i hope that they dawgs didnt take the sharks forgranted.

i bet treybig loved it. getting any win against an old team is good.

yall brazoria boys keep talkin crap....it is funny to read ;)

registered
03-26-2005, 04:39 PM
There may have been a smile because he was thinking sweep in Sweeny, but the girls stopped that by scoring 9 runs in the 5th inning to win the softball game 9-3. Looks like there are going to be 2 showdowns in West Columbia on Tuesday. I don't think the Lady Dogs will go down without a fight. They've played too many good teams this year and have battled to the finish in all of their games. They have a great pitcher themselves and I know their coach will have them ready to play.