PDA

View Full Version : Gilmer players will receive rings on March 19

Buckeyeman
03-14-2005, 11:09 PM
The Gilmer Buckeyes will receive their State Championship rings on Saturday March 19

Stars come out for Buckeye Ring Ceremony
Courtesy Photo / Arizona Cardinals
JOSH MCCOWN, former Jacksonville Indians phenom and now an NFL quarterback for the Arizona Cardinals, will be featured speaker at the ring ceremony for the state champion Gilmer Buckeyes to be held on Saturday, March 19, at the Gilmer Civic Center.

By JEFF RASH
The Gilmer Buckeyes just thought they’d HIT THE BIG TIME last December when they defeated the Jasper Bulldogs in the “Heart Attack in Nac” to win Gilmer’s first ever State Football Championship.
Now having had three months to bask in the glorious reflection of a perfect 16-0 season, the Buckeyes will be the guests of honor at what Buckeye Booster Club sources say will be “A Gala Night filled with ‘Hollywood Surprises,’ the likes of which Tater Town has never seen!”
Each coach and player will receive the coveted State Championship Ring in a ceremony themed as “MTV Awards meets the Oscars” at the Gilmer Civic Center on March 19 at 7 p.m.
Star attraction and featured speaker for the night will be East Texas native and starting Arizona Cardinals Quarterback, Josh McCown.
Under the tutelage of Coach Matt Turner and Head Coach Jeff Traylor, Josh McCown was an All State Quarterback for the Jacksonville Indians in 1997, where he threw 32 Touchdowns his senior year to lead the Indians to the State Regional Finals.
After a tumultuous stay at SMU where he spent three seasons on a football scholarship, Josh transferred to Sam Houston State University, where he led the Bearkats to a 2001 Southland Conference Championship his senior year, setting single season records for both passing yards and touchdowns.
For his efforts, Josh was named was named an NCAA Division 1AA All-American, was selected as a finalist for the prestigious Walter Payton Award as the nation’s best 1AA Player, and was named the Southland Conference’s Player of the Year.
Josh was the fourth quarterback selected in the 2002 NFL Draft, and is now the starting quarterback for the Arizona Cardinals.
Now both he and his brother Luke McCown (2004 Rookie QB for the Cleveland Browns, who was also coached by Jeff Traylor and Matt Turner in Jacksonville) are living out their childhood fantasies, playing Quarterback in the National Football League.
As a starter in Arizona, Josh shared the backfield (and occasionally, the golf course) with one of his childhood heroes, NFL All-Time Rushing Leader, and Dallas Cowboy Legend, Emmitt Smith. Josh will be sharing his experiences with the Buckeyes on his rise from one of the all-time great East Texas High School Athletes to a starting Quarterback in the NFL.
Tickets for the ring ceremony will go on sale Monday, March 14, at Gilmer High School. Tickets are $5 in advance and $10 at the door and will be sold as floor section or bleacher section on a first come, first serve basis. The Gilmer Civic Center holds 1,100 people at capacity, and a quick sellout is expected.
The Buckeye Booster Club will be holding a Silent Auction of autographed Gilmer Buckeye memorabilia from the 2004 Season beginning at 5:30 pm. The public is invited to attend this historical event. Look for more details in the Wednesday Mirror.

injuredinmelee
03-15-2005, 07:59 AM
Wylie gets theirs the 17th but I dont know if there is a ceremony. I wish there was! Three months later this is still a big deal.

Buffalo
03-15-2005, 08:54 PM
If the 2 had played who would be getting the ring??????

Rockdale Tiger
03-15-2005, 11:22 PM
That is a good question Buffalo...

Adidas410s
03-15-2005, 11:32 PM
I will say Gilmer. As pourous as their defense is, Wylie doesn't have a "high octane" offense to keep up in the shootouts that Gilmer puts the other team into. That being said, if any coach in the state could come up with a way to stop a high-powered offense it would be Hugh Sandifer! Sure glad to see that he isn't graduating from Wylie any time soon...I hope! :clap: :clap: :clap:

wildstangs
03-15-2005, 11:35 PM
Originally posted by Buffalo
If the 2 had played who would be getting the ring??????

Great question..I think Gilmer would have been the favorite...but its getting harder and harder to go against Sandifer and the Bulldogs in games they aren't supposed to win. I would have picked Wylie by 3.

Adidas410s
03-15-2005, 11:40 PM
Originally posted by wildstangs
Great question..I think Gilmer would have been the favorite...but its getting harder and harder to go against Sandifer and the Bulldogs in games they aren't supposed to win. I would have picked Wylie by 3.

Can you start picking us to lose to Sweetwater and Snyder every year please? :D

Rockdale Tiger
03-15-2005, 11:42 PM
I will go with Wylie because of how great their defence played in the playoff run.

oh well
03-16-2005, 03:39 PM
Not sure Wylie had the speed that Gilmer had or has.

This is a great idea these young men will never forget this. What if a kid could not afford to buy a ring?