PDA

View Full Version : more sexual discrimination

pirate44
03-11-2005, 12:53 PM
Florida Lawmaker Seeks Toilet Paper Tax

By DAVID ROYSE

TALLAHASSEE, Fla. (AP) - Florida's Legislature is flush with good ideas. Sen. Al Lawson's involves a 2 cent-per-roll tax on toilet paper to pay for wastewater treatment and help small towns upgrade their sewer systems.

The Democratic lawmaker's pay-as-you-go bill has been the source of many jokes - bathroom humor you might say - but he says the issue is a serious one, especially in some of the fast-growing Panhandle coastal counties in his district.

"They're experiencing a tremendous boom in growth and they're not able to accommodate the growth," Lawson said. "We've got 17 million people in this state and all of them can contribute to protecting our underground water supply."

In a Republican-dominated Legislature that doesn't like new taxes, the idea is likely to pretty quickly end up in the tank.

Senate President Tom Lee, R-Brandon, said he didn't think it would get too far, but didn't rule it out.

"We'll be getting to the bottom of it real soon," Lee said.

The House is skeptical as well.

"We're not wild about tax increases," said House Speaker Allan Bense, R-Panama City. "But we'll certainly let it go through the system."

If it were to pass, the extra two pennies would start being charged in October. Lawson said it could generate $50 million a year.

It would also need approval from Gov. Jeb Bush. He said that if toilet paper is taxed, people might use less of it.

"That's not necessarily a good thing," noted the governor.

And what about consumers? Wouldn't they be squeezed by a tax on the Charmin?

No, says Lawson.

"Two cents is not going to hurt families at all," he said. "This is one thing people don't mind paying for."

District303aPastPlayer
03-11-2005, 01:04 PM
how is that sexual discrimination

pirate44
03-11-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
how is that sexual discrimination
c'mon aaron, think a little harder

onfirebball05mustang
03-11-2005, 01:19 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
c'mon aaron, think a little harder

i'm not understanding either....:confused: then again, i've always been a lil slow!

pirate44
03-11-2005, 01:21 PM
aaron will get this. who tends to buy more TP?? and no, mischeivious teenagers do not count.

AP Panther Fan
03-11-2005, 01:22 PM
Whatever those guys get paid........it is WAY too much!:rolleyes:

Bullaholic
03-11-2005, 01:27 PM
Who are they kiddin'? This would cost me $500 a month at my house alone. My wife buys that stuff by the ton.

spiveyrat
03-11-2005, 01:27 PM
44: If it makes you feel better, I got it before the hint. :D

onfirebball05mustang
03-11-2005, 01:29 PM
aaron will get this. who tends to buy more TP?? and no, mischeivious teenagers do not count.

:doh: i was thinking that, but you never know with y'all! lol we ain't THAT mischeivious!

AP Panther Fan
03-11-2005, 01:31 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Who are they kiddin'? This would cost me $500 a month at my house alone. My wife buys that stuff by the ton.

LOL...me too, I like the Charmin with Aloe! :D

pirate44
03-11-2005, 01:32 PM
Originally posted by onfirebball05mustang
:doh: i was thinking that, but you never know with y'all! lol we ain't THAT mischeivious!
i think it woulda broke me if they had done it when i was in high school.:D

onfirebball05mustang
03-11-2005, 01:34 PM
i think it woulda broke me if they had done it when i was in high school.:D

yeah, that may put a minor damper on this summer's lock-in/disciple now....toilet paper, shaving cream, toothpaste and duck tape are all needed as a price to get into the fun! :p

Phil C
03-11-2005, 02:21 PM
Florida Lawmaker Seeks Toilet Paper Tax

The Democratic lawmaker's pay-as-you-go bill has been the source of many jokes - bathroom humor you might say - but he says the issue is a serious one, especially in some of the fast-growing Panhandle coastal counties in his district.

And what about consumers? Wouldn't they be squeezed by a tax on the Charmin?

No, says Lawson.

"Two cents is not going to hurt families at all," he said. "This is one thing people don't mind paying for."

OLD MACDEMO HAS A PLAN
E-I-E-I-O
AND WITH THIS PLAN OUR MONEY IT WILL EAT!
E-I-E-I-O
WITH A TAX TAX HERE AND A TAX TAX THERE
HERE A TAX THERE A TAX EVERYWHERE A TAX TAX
OLD MACDEMO HAS A PLAN
E-I-E-I-O!

Old Cardinal
03-11-2005, 03:13 PM
Maybe the dummies proposing and backing this could count the perferations in the toilet paper they are so good at counting the "chads" on Florida paper ballots LOL... WE could then just add up the perferations and pay this crapy tax accordingly.
I have been to places in Mexico where you go into public facilities and there is on toilet paper period. This Larson fellow has to be a sky monkey of some sort. What a desperate attempt to raise taxes on folks.

Phil C
03-11-2005, 03:28 PM
My post is intended as humor only and not to persuade anyone to vote for or against any political party.

AP Panther Fan
03-11-2005, 03:30 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
My post is intended as humor only and not to persuade anyone to vote for or against any political party.

With all those disclaimers.....are you sure you aren't an elected official?:D

pirate44
03-11-2005, 03:33 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
With all those disclaimers.....are you sure you aren't an elected official?:D :D

Phil C
03-11-2005, 03:44 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
With all those disclaimers.....are you sure you aren't an elected official?:D

Not at all! I couldn't stand the public stonings! :)

AP Panther Fan
03-11-2005, 03:59 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
Not at all! I couldn't stand the public stonings! :)

Aww Phil, where's your sense of adventure? What's a few cuts and broken bones between friends? :rolleyes: :D