PDA

View Full Version : Gary Karpov retires from Chess! :(

Phil C
03-11-2005, 12:06 PM
This is the greatest chess player ever and perhaps ever will be. True he was born in Communist Russia but he was not a political pawn unlike Karpov who was also a great player. Karpov was a pawn of the maching and played one of his world chess championship matches against Korchinov who was a defector and at the time when Karchivov's son was in a Soviet prison and was being beaten and everyone knew about it. It is to the discredit of the World Chess Federation that these conditions ruled. Had Kasparov been in the match I believe that he would have refused to play the match until Korchinov's son was released. He has always been a fair person and has spent much time in the USA permoting chess. This is a big loss for World Chess but fortunately he will be writing books and playing simutaneous games even though he won't be competing in master tournaments. Thank you for the years Gary! You have been a great champion and person. Good luck in retirement.

District303aPastPlayer
03-11-2005, 12:09 PM
sad day for chess fans

Phil C
03-11-2005, 12:18 PM
My bad and a big mistake in my Russian. I got the thread corrected but can't correct the title. It should be Gary Kasparov who is retiring and the great player. The other was Karpov and I originally had them reversed. My Bad! I am so ashamed! But i have edited my post but as i said regretfully I can't edit the title of the thread but hopefully this will make up for it a little.

pirate44
03-11-2005, 12:30 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
My bad and a big mistake in my Russian. I got the thread corrected but can't correct the title. It should be Gary Kasparov who is retiring and the great player. The other was Karpov and I originally had them reversed. My Bad! I am so ashamed! But i have edited my post but as i said regretfully I can't edit the title of the thread but hopefully this will make up for it a little.
Ranger Mom on an occasion has helped me out with that, Phil C

PPHSfan
03-11-2005, 12:40 PM
You must be an old fart if you are too old to play chess.:)

P.S. The rumors of my demise are just silly.