PDA

View Full Version : Former Willis QB Michael Bishop

TexasHSFootball
03-10-2005, 08:26 PM
I realize this is a 3A board but the story is just too good to read.

Here is an interesting story that may not make the front pages of the Houston Chronicle or any major media outlet.. but it should.

Michael Bishop not only defied the odds but he has taken on any great challenge that he has been given. The NFL and CFL passed on giving him an opportunity to play at the next level, so what does he do? Signs an Arena League contract with Grand Rapids. And Grand Rapids is not just your average Arena Football League team. They are one of the elite teams there too.

Bishop is averaging more yards per game (54.2) than any other team in the League... In only four games, Bishop has accumulated more rushing yards this season than four other teams combined (San Jose - 57, New Orleans ... 56, Tampa Bay - 50, and Colorado - 46)

As many know, you dont have much room to run in the Arena League. The Arena Football single season rushing record has been virtually untouched since 1991. A total of 14 years. Bill Clinton was still the Governor of Arkansas and the internet didnt take off until a couple years later. I was still not in high school yet.

here is the story of Michael Bishop courtesy of the Arena Football League:
Willis alum Michael Bishop on pace to shatter Arena record (http://www.arenafootball.com/ViewArticle.dbml?DB_OEM_ID=3500&ATCLID=112554&SPID=1553)

if you want to see the game LIVE here are the details:
All Texas NBC stations slated to carry Bishop's game Sunday 3/13 (http://www.texashsfootball.com/news/march05/bishoprushing0310.htm)

LH Panther Mom
03-10-2005, 09:05 PM
Thanks for sharing! :) And congrats to him.

injuredinmelee
03-10-2005, 09:27 PM
I have heard some crazy stories about this kid when he was a Willis WildKat from one of his coaches. Good to see that hes making it in the arena league.

big daddy russ
03-11-2005, 12:56 AM
Is this the same guy that was the K-State QB a few years back?

TexasHSFootball
03-11-2005, 12:57 AM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Is this the same guy that was the K-State QB a few years back?

yes :)

AggiesAreWe
03-11-2005, 07:46 AM
When Michael was a senior at Willis, I saw him play LCM in a playoff game and I was very impressed, to say the least. He never, I mean never, came off the field. He was the QB, obviously, the free safety, the punter, the kicker, he returned punts, and he returned kickoffs. He played every minute of the game, literally. My dad went with me to that game and he said he had never seen one man do so much for his team, and he has seen a lot of high scholl football games. After Willis won the game, on our way home, we talked about if he was to get hurt, just how many positions they would have to replace, unbelievable. Glad to see him still playing the game.