PDA

View Full Version : Did the 2004 Auburn Tigers have the best backfield of all-time? by Ivan Maisel, ESPN

big daddy russ
03-10-2005, 05:47 PM
I'd like to think so, but I'm a little biased. Here's the article. It was actually talking about who they have to replace Cadillac, Ronnie Brown and Jason Campbell, but it's a good question... one that ESPN wants to know...

Tuberville replacing best backfield 'in the last 50 years'
Maisel
By Ivan Maisel, ESPN.com

It would be difficult enough if Auburn merely had to replace its starting backfield. But there's more to it than that. Tailbacks Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown will be high on NFL commissioner Paul Tagliabue's draft day dance card.

Quarterback Jason Campbell won 31 games and finished his career as the Southeastern Conference Offensive Player of the Year.

"The best overall backfield in college football in the last 50 years," coach Tommy Tuberville said Tuesday. Gee, coach, don't hold back. The best? Fifty years?

Simply The Best?
Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville maintains that quarterback Jason Campbell and tailbacks Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown made up "the best college football backfield in the last 50 years." I didn't understand the next few things he said, because he clearly had bitten off more than he could chew.

Unless he's right.

If you agree, great. If not, you can't just disagree. You have to come up with a better backfield. Send your thoughts on Tuberville's statement to ivan.maisel@espn3.com and we'll post the results in the next Maisel E-mails.

"There have been great quarterbacks, and great running backs," he said. "There haven't been many backfields like that. You got two guys that will [be drafted] in the top six or seven, who will play pro football for a long time and who complemented each other. You can say Herschel Walker or Bo Jackson or so many backs at USC. You can't say that and add the quarterback."

That is a debate for another time (see inline)....

THERE'S MORE TO THE STORY, HERE'S THE LINK...
http://sports.espn.go.com/ncf/columns/story?id=2008666
BUT HERE'S THE INLINE THAT MAISEL TALKS ABOUT...

Simply The Best?
Auburn coach Tommy Tuberville maintains that quarterback Jason Campbell and tailbacks Carnell Williams and Ronnie Brown made up "the best college football backfield in the last 50 years." I didn't understand the next few things he said, because he clearly had bitten off more than he could chew.

Unless he's right.

If you agree, great. If not, you can't just disagree. You have to come up with a better backfield. Send your thoughts on Tuberville's statement to ivan.maisel@espn3.com and we'll post the results in the next Maisel E-mails.

WHAT ARE THE THOUGHTS OF THE DOWNLOW?

gobbler84
03-10-2005, 07:31 PM
Yes Karnell"Kadillac" Williams, Ronnie"Dodge"Brown, and Jason Cambell were by far the best college backfield....Just look at his perfomance at the bowl game.