10.CRANE

NOTE: DID NOT INCLUDE ABILENE SCHOOLS AS WEST TEXAS
FOOTBALL PROGRAMS BUT ABILENE WYLIE WOULD DEFINETLY BE ONE OF THE TOP 5 IF SO

WTF-82
03-10-2005, 12:11 AM
11.WINK

lobo12
03-10-2005, 12:17 AM
in no way is wink 11. are you talking about recently or going back a couple of decades

jason
03-10-2005, 12:21 AM
is that list based on anything? or just something you came up with...

superslyguy06
03-10-2005, 12:24 AM
I would have to put Roscoe in the top 10 for sure. INCLUDING Abilene schools, mine would go like this:

1. Sweetwater
2. Midland Lee
3. Ballinger
4. Abilene Wylie
5. Panther Creek...one of THE dominant 6-man programs
6 (tie). Odessa Permian...drop off lately causes the hurt in ranking
6 (tie). Abilene High...has returned to the top after a long time at the bottom
7. Sonora
8. Midland Greenwood
9 (tie). Iraan
9 (tie). Roscoe
10 (BONUS). Breckenridge

My case for Breck goes as follows. Obviously they are not in West Texas but they were THE team for many years from a so-called "oil town." which is what the majority of West Texas towns are. You can classify a WTX town by one of two things: oil or cotton. Even though the town has dropped off considerably in recent years, they are still one of the most respected programs out there and they carry a tradition that is second-to-none. I would actually put them ahead of Greenwood and add in Abilene Cooper at 10, but since they arent a geographic WTX town then they must be put at the bottom of my list.

Adidas410s
03-10-2005, 12:25 AM
gah I keep posting under my brother's name cuz he keeps logging in on this computer...anyways I will re-post it so as not to confuse the author. We can't give him credit for my posts now! :D

I would have to put Roscoe in the top 10 for sure. INCLUDING Abilene schools, mine would go like this:

1. Sweetwater
2. Midland Lee
3. Ballinger
4. Abilene Wylie
5. Panther Creek...one of THE dominant 6-man programs
6 (tie). Odessa Permian...drop off lately causes the hurt in ranking
6 (tie). Abilene High...has returned to the top after a long time at the bottom
7. Sonora
8. Midland Greenwood
9 (tie). Iraan
9 (tie). Roscoe
10 (BONUS). Breckenridge

My case for Breck goes as follows. Obviously they are not in West Texas but they were THE team for many years from a so-called "oil town." which is what the majority of West Texas towns are. You can classify a WTX town by one of two things: oil or cotton. Even though the town has dropped off considerably in recent years, they are still one of the most respected programs out there and they carry a tradition that is second-to-none. I would actually put them ahead of Greenwood and add in Abilene Cooper at 10, but since they arent a geographic WTX town then they must be put at the bottom of my list.

WTF-82
03-10-2005, 12:27 AM
80'S 90'S AND TODAY LOBO 12

District303aPastPlayer
03-10-2005, 12:29 AM
i wonder what a south texas list would look like.... i wonder who would be on top... sinton or calallen :)

lobo12
03-10-2005, 12:32 AM
i dont think you can include greenwood in the top ten, they had a great run in 02, in 01 the went out first round i believe to crane. and 99 was a good team but they didnt have anything before that, i might be wrong but if the list were of recent they could definately be up there

lobo12
03-10-2005, 12:36 AM
i think monahans should be in the top ten, of course im not bias, but i dont think they should be that high, they made it to the quarters alot of years, but they are known for winning games they arent supposed to, i think andrews should be in front of them, other than that it looks good to me

big daddy russ
03-10-2005, 12:53 AM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
i wonder what a south texas list would look like.... i wonder who would be on top... sinton or calallen :)
This is my list, going from, but not including San Antonio over to Victoria and then south... and this is all-time, not just past 30 years or so:

1. Cuero
2. Gregory-Portland
3. Refugio
4. Corpus Christi Miller (formerly Corpus Christi High... in here more for their first 50 years than the 30 since then)
5. Sinton
6. Three Rivers
7. Calallen (more of a recent power... since Danaher got there in the mid-80's)
8. Runge
9. San Benito
10. Ben Bolt

Honorable mention goes to George West, Nixon-Smiley, Alice, Edcouch-Elsa Yoakum and Donna... and the Laredo schools get nothing.

I also really want to put Sweeny, Converse Judson, Smithson Valley, Medina Valley, Hondo and Bay City in there, but they're a little too far north.

WTF-82
03-10-2005, 12:54 AM
YES GREENWOOD RECENT SUCCES JUST PUT THEM UP THERE YOU GOT TO GIVE THEM THE NOD COMPARED TO WEST TEXAS SCHOOLS THOUGH STATE FINALS APEARANCE IS BIG. AS FOR ANDREWS NO. HAS WON GAMES SINCE THE 90'S BUT MONAHANS HAS BEEN WINNING GAMES SINCE 70'S AND 80'S DONT FORGET MONAHANS HAS PLAYED A LOT OF FOOTBALL GAMES IN DECEMBER. I ONLY REMEMBER THE 93 ANDREWS TEAM IN DECEMBER AGAINST STEPHENVILLE IN SAN ANGELO 14-10 STEPHENVILLE AND WON THE TITLE THAT YEAR ANDREWS EDGED MONAHANS 20-19 THAT YEAR ON 2 MISSED EXTRA POINTS BY LOBOES AND MISSED FIELD GOAL.

lobo12
03-10-2005, 01:08 AM
i remember that game, it was freezing and monahans missed a field goal as time ran out, great game

Z motion 10 out on 2
03-10-2005, 03:21 PM
Vernon should be in the top 10. They along with Iowa Park and Graham are somewhat on the edge of West Texas. But if it goes by Cotton and Oil then all three are in!

Vernon has a rich football tradition with excellent facilities.

lobo12
03-10-2005, 05:06 PM
forgot about vernon, they have got to be in the top ten for sure, might have to take out crane

mustang04
03-10-2005, 05:16 PM
Sweetwater does have the tradition and the history, ive looked back in like all the yearbooks dating back to like the 30's or 40's and man sweetwater was playing like abilene high and all these other schools and they did pretty good, i really think the only decade that sweetwater wasnt dominant was the 70's, but in the 80's.....WOW, 90's we were really good and weve done good so far the past 5 years...there was a period of like 2 years tho like 99 and 2000 or sometime when sweetwater wasnt all that great, but theres alot of tradition in that sea of red

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-10-2005, 06:06 PM
I'm a homer, I have to agree.

injuredinmelee
03-10-2005, 06:17 PM
here is mine based on the last ten years:

1. Midland Lee
2. Abilene Wylie
3. Abilene Cooper
4. Panther Creek
5. Sweetwater
6. Iraan
7. Roscoe
8. Abilene High
9. Sonora
10. Odessa Permian

lobo dad
03-11-2005, 12:13 AM
If your going to put in
Sweetwater
Greenwood
Abilene Wylie
Andrews
Monahans

How in the H#%& can you not add Snyder? They beat all those teams.

lobo12
03-11-2005, 12:19 AM
snyders been good the past two years but not during the 80's and 90's, i dont think at least maybe im wrong

Black_Magic
03-11-2005, 08:43 AM
Snyder has Made the playoffs the last three years in a row. Won District as a 4a school 2 times in the 90s and made playoffs 5 times in the 90s as a 4a school. if your going on the last 30 years it may be different. If you want to look at the last 6-8 ( more important is the present than the past) years Snyder has to be included . IF you look at the last 3 they have to be included in the top 5 to 7.

injuredinmelee
03-11-2005, 08:45 AM
Originally posted by lobo dad
If your going to put in
Sweetwater
Greenwood
Abilene Wylie
Andrews
Monahans

Snyder has beaten Wylie once or twice since Baugh started there.

vet93
03-11-2005, 11:11 AM
I prefer to look at the last 50 to 60 years. Any community can have a 10 year run here and there and then be awful.....I like those teams that are consistently good for a long time however there are some teams who have not been a school long enough to have that type of history....those schools were included if they have had a great history.

In no order:

Sweetwater (top 10 or 15 in total program victories all classes)

Ballinger (Only a few games behind Sweetwater in wins, all-time winning percentage during regular season since 1926 = 71.4% (69.48 % in playoffs).

Permian (Not as old as Ballinger and Sweetwater but very high winnning percentage)

Breckenridge (really piled on the championships and wins in the 50's through the 70's)

Abilene High (4 championships in a row...nuff said in the 50's)

Abilene Cooper (has really come on in the last 20 years, but also had some great years in the 60's)

Sonora (championships in the 70's and has been pretty good in the last 10 years)

Monahans (Long tradition of great play)

Brownwood (Close enough to west texas to count...multiple championships)

Panther Creek (Young school but outstanding tradition of championships)

Midland Lee (Tradition of great play since the late 70's, not as long of a history as some.....3 championships)

Vernon (Great tradition through the years)

Abilene Wylie (Good since Sandifer came in the mid eighties)

Others: Iraan, Crane, Rankin, Roscoe,

mustang04
03-11-2005, 11:52 AM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Snyder has Made the playoffs the last three years in a row. Won District as a 4a school 2 times in the 90s and made playoffs 5 times in the 90s as a 4a school. if your going on the last 30 years it may be different. If you want to look at the last 6-8 ( more important is the present than the past) years Snyder has to be included . IF you look at the last 3 they have to be included in the top 5 to 7.

i can see how you would want to be snyder to be in there, but they really havent earned to be a 'traditionally' good football program....im not bashing ya'll at all cuz yall are part of the mustangs traditional rivalry, but i think that doing good the past few years and 5 times in the 90's isnt enough to equal what some teams have done for decades...and when you said that it should be the past 6-8 years cuz more important is the present than the past, then why dont we just say the past year, cuz it's alot more present than the past 6-8 years from your point of view

once again im just making a point, Snyder has had a great football program lately and nobody can say otherwise, but they just aren't as rich in tradition as some

mustang04
03-11-2005, 11:58 AM
Originally posted by lobo dad
If your going to put in
Sweetwater
Greenwood
Abilene Wylie
Andrews
Monahans

ur raising more hell than the Snyder folks about this one....but then again thats exactly why is says ROOKIE right under your name, cuz if u would have paid more attention, you'd realize that this is about top west texas football programs as in tradition wise and with the best history, not who beat who LAST year

oh well
03-11-2005, 03:24 PM
I have to agree as of late no one can say Snyder does not belong but Snyder has been past the 1st round 4 times 2 of them coming in the last 2 years. Maybe in the future it will be considered a power house right now the fartherest they have been is the Semifinals. Some of these schools have bounced back and forth between 4A & 3A. You would have to list Abil Wylie in there for all of there programs and yes sweetwater for its history. You are talking about programs not best teams in West Texas Snyder would be on the list of teams

mustang04
03-12-2005, 09:09 PM
Originally posted by oh well
I have to agree as of late no one can say Snyder does not belong but Snyder has been past the 1st round 4 times 2 of them coming in the last 2 years. Maybe in the future it will be considered a power house right now the fartherest they have been is the Semifinals. Some of these schools have bounced back and forth between 4A & 3A. You would have to list Abil Wylie in there for all of there programs and yes sweetwater for its history. You are talking about programs not best teams in West Texas Snyder would be on the list of teams

amen

WTF-82
03-12-2005, 11:00 PM
The reason I did not include Snyder in Top 10 first is that they
are not what I call a true west texas team I just based polly on
permian basin concho valley west texas teams the Reason I included Sweetwater is they have been in west texas districts for
many years through 80"s and 90's they have played a lot of west
texas ball. But I will say this Snyder might have earned top 15
bid but in any means can you convice me that they are a traditional power many teams make the playoffs today 3
teams get in. The only 2 years that I have ever seen them make any kind of a playoff run is last year and the year before I do not think you should be a top power on a couple of classes that went
through. That had some talent. Making the s playoffs for a couple of years is not enough now Greenwood gets in they have been solid longer a state finals appearance tough schedule and some good playoff runs but Snyder I have only been impressed truly
last year yall finally learned how to win big games also community
tradition is a plus this was the first year I ever saw Snyder bring some fans anywhere.

Bubba-Joe
03-13-2005, 12:30 AM
Ole Bubba has to becareful here with how he phrases this cause the old Snyder v Sweetwater deal is back and running

BUT Good Grief Black magic- get over your insecurity about Sweetwater.
You guys put together a heck of run this year.
But no way is Snyder a TRADITIONAL WEST TEXAS POWER.
Snyder has never beaten an East Texas team.
Wyile has Midland and M.Lee have, Permian has, S.A.Central has
and Yes Sweetwater has.
When has Snyder ever played Austin Westlake?
how about Cleburn?, maybe Tombal, or even Brownwood?
what year did Snyder play Denison, Rockwall, Carthage have they ever.
Sweetwater is by a West Texas Program, with Tradition that stretches back to the 1940's
Snyder has had a few very good seasons as of late.
The Tigers want to be thought of as a program with the Traditon of Sweetwater and the likes, keep it up another 25 years or so and maybe they will
but 3 season of good football does not make you a Tradition, most places that is just a good run of athletes.

And as for you Lobo dad- where you a supporter of Hanna or one of the DADS that ran him out of town?

GreenMonster
03-13-2005, 01:59 AM
I'm sorry but anyone that lists any team other than Permian as the top team in west Texas must be off of their friggin rocker. Permian has more state titles than any school in ALL of Texas much less West Texas. List whoever you want behind them, but all those titles stacked on top of each other leads only to one place, the very top of the pile. Also, what do you West Texas boys consider to be West Texas anyways??? Snyder is pretty far West on my map, as is Abilene, and Wichita Falls. Wichita Falls High sports 5 or 6 of them State Championship Trophies in their Trophy Case, seems pretty dominant to me. One poster stated oil or cotton based economy as his requirement for being West Texas, well Wichita Falls wouldn't even exist today if it weren't for a vast Oil Patch to it's very near north and west. I live just outside of Wichita Falls and I consider myself to be in West Texas. My thoughts on it is that West Texas grows each year. Populations are starting to slide out west and UIL keeps moving the west Texas region further and further East. Most west Texas Regions start right around I-35 now. So what does it take geographically to be considered WEST Texas???

DukeNukem
03-13-2005, 11:22 AM
to be considered west texas you must be in section from abilene down to brownwood back to san angelo, down to del rio, west to about van horn, then north to lubbock and back down to abilene. in other words you must be west of abilene and covered by one of the following newspapers; odessa american, midland newspaper, san angelo sub-standard times, and abilene newspaper. it is not defined by cotton and oil, but by rocks, dirt, and wind. anything east of abilene is way to green to be considered west texas.

ASUFrisbeeStud
03-14-2005, 03:01 AM
I agree with DukeNukem.
And haha I like the San Angelo "sub"standard times.

oh well
03-14-2005, 04:26 PM
Brownwood would have to be number 1. Sweetwater has a lot of tradition. Snyder has had more then a run of athletes. The better athletes are coming you can ask people who play them. Snyder has not had a lot of speed that should change in the future. THey will be bigger in the future as well. They could be a program that is talked about on this thread 5 or 6 years down the road. They have never beat an East Texas Team and they have only played 1 last season. It is easier to get in the playoffs now then it was. So you can not judge a team by how many times it gets in the playoffs you must do something when you get there. A great example of this is a sign that hangs at all Brownwood playoff games.

PLAYOFFS where our tradition starts. They win in the playoffs and win big I think they have 7 or 8 State Championships. Sweetwater has 1, Wylie 1 Stephenville 4, So number one has to be Brownwood

big daddy russ
03-14-2005, 04:58 PM
Originally posted by oh well
Brownwood would have to be number 1. Sweetwater has a lot of tradition. Snyder has had more then a run of athletes. The better athletes are coming you can ask people who play them. Snyder has not had a lot of speed that should change in the future. THey will be bigger in the future as well. They could be a program that is talked about on this thread 5 or 6 years down the road. They have never beat an East Texas Team and they have only played 1 last season. It is easier to get in the playoffs now then it was. So you can not judge a team by how many times it gets in the playoffs you must do something when you get there. A great example of this is a sign that hangs at all Brownwood playoff games.

PLAYOFFS where our tradition starts. They win in the playoffs and win big I think they have 7 or 8 State Championships. Sweetwater has 1, Wylie 1 Stephenville 4, So number one has to be Brownwood
What about Permian or Abilene? I think that Permian's been to the dance more times than anyone else in the state, and that's in only about 45 years of existence. And doesn't Abilene High have as many titles as Brownwood?

Buffalo
03-15-2005, 09:00 PM
Do they big daddy? Permian had to be in there I agree. What is Brownwoods win loss record at the big dance?

Black_Magic
03-17-2005, 04:22 PM
Originally posted by Bubba-Joe
Ole Bubba has to becareful here with how he phrases this cause the old Snyder v Sweetwater deal is back and running

BUT Good Grief Black magic- get over your insecurity about Sweetwater.
Did I mention ANYTHING about sweetwater on this thread that indicated insecurity about Sweetwater????:confused: I missed it.... I have no propblem with sweetwater. I have fond memories of the game in December against them:D I thought If your talking about top programs in west texas as of the last few years you would have a hard time excluding Snyder. thats it. As far as the #1 and #2 programs in west texas in tradition and all time greatness It would have to be Permian and Brownwood.... I think you read way too much into stuff. You remind me of my Wife... always putting words into my mouth.

mustang04
03-17-2005, 07:40 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
Did I mention ANYTHING about sweetwater on this thread that indicated insecurity about Sweetwater????:confused: I missed it.... I have no propblem with sweetwater. I have fond memories of the game in December against them:D I thought If your talking about top programs in west texas as of the last few years you would have a hard time excluding Snyder. thats it. As far as the #1 and #2 programs in west texas in tradition and all time greatness It would have to be Permian and Brownwood.... I think you read way too much into stuff. You remind me of my Wife... always putting words into my mouth.

i have some pretty fond memories of most of the games we have played against yall since i was in 1st grade:D

hows yall's track doing??