PDA

View Full Version : In softball and baseball what are the rules

Phil C
03-08-2005, 11:01 AM
concerning like when a runner runs to first base on a hit and the ball is thrown to first base. Is the runner safe if they get to the base the same time as the ball gets to the first baseman's glove or what. I have seen a lot of "ties" go both ways. I know it is to the discretion of the umpire but I wonder if anyone knows the rules on it. It is so confusing at times. :confused:

Bullaholic
03-08-2005, 11:08 AM
We always played according to "Tie goes to the Runner", Phil. Of course, this was unofficial and I don't know how the rulebook reads, but it has almost got to be left solely to the judgement of the umpire.

Cameronbystander
03-08-2005, 01:00 PM
I do not call High School baseball or softball but I have called hundreds of city league and tournament slow pitch softball games. The national head of the organization that I belonged to at the time told us that the job of an umpire was to get 21 outs per teams and go home (3 x 7 innings).

In reality, I don't think a tie is addressed in any rulebook. The umpire has to make a decision. Either the ball got there first or the runner did.

Keith7
03-08-2005, 01:32 PM
i think most umps still give the "tie" to the runner... If you watch Major League Baseball you still hear announcers mention it everynow and then

Brahma73
03-08-2005, 02:00 PM
Strictly a judgement call by the umpire. There are technically no "ties." No different than a tag out or a baserunner leaving too soon on a fly ball tag play. The call will stricty depend on how one pair of eyes saw it.

Phil C
03-08-2005, 03:07 PM
Well I looked up a couple of rules sources and for MLB the rule is (Section 6.05 j) A batter is out if after a third strick or after he hits a fair ball, he or first base is tagged BEFORE he touches first base. That is the official rule. Therefore since the first base must be tagged before he touches it in a sense the tie should go to the runner. I guess they leave it to the discretion to the upmpire to justify blown calls. I didn't make it up. That is the rule. The key word is BEFORE. Even though it doesn't say so the tie by that language to me means the tie goes to the runner.