PDA

View Full Version : Direct TV question

44INAROW
03-07-2005, 09:53 PM
We changed from Time Warner to Direct TV last fall and have been pleased so far. Tomorrow we are getting DVR or whatever it is called. (like TIVO) My question, if any of you have it, do you like it and do you have just one receiver that is DVR or did you get more than 1 DVR at your house? We record ALOT and I really like the option of being able to plan out my week and set to time etc. Any thoughts/suggestions?

LH Panther Mom
03-07-2005, 09:56 PM
We have it & LOVE it! We just have one, but may get a second.

44INAROW
03-07-2005, 09:58 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
We have it & LOVE it! We just have one, but may get a second.

Do you think we should go ahead and get the 2nd while we're at it? We thought about getting 2 but can't decide to or not. We watch ALOT of TV (mainly taped since many shows conflict)

LH Panther Mom
03-07-2005, 10:06 PM
That'd be my recommendation. We got the first because hubby's a trekkie & he wanted to record every one. The good thing about it is you can watch one thing while you record another.

44INAROW
03-07-2005, 10:17 PM
That'd be my recommendation. We got the first because hubby's a trekkie & he wanted to record every one. The good thing about it is you can watch one thing while you record another.

Thanks for the scoop.. I think we'll go ahead and get 2 while the guy is here setting up etc.......... :)

SintonFan
03-07-2005, 11:51 PM
I never would have guessed that.:D
44INAROW, Dish network has almost the same function as TIVO now but without the monthly fee. They have the 522 receiver(built in the good ol USA) that controls 2 TVs separately and recording function for each TV. If the 544 is available, you can control 4 separate TVs with one central unit(and record on each one, too).
Whoever comes out, Direct TV or Dish Network, you are allowed one free "wall drop" per installation(positive about the Dish but not positive about Direct). Take advantage of the free wall drop or you will(might) be taken advantage of one of a many unscrupulous installers in this industry. They will try to control your install, you have to remember this is your house and stay in control. Insist on using the existing holes for this install. I hope this helps too. :)

Phil C
03-08-2005, 09:06 AM
On direct tv does anyone know how much extra you have to pay to get channel 609 (ESPU) or Channel 610 (CSTV)?

LH Panther Mom
03-08-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by Phil C
On direct tv does anyone know how much extra you have to pay to get channel 609 (ESPU) or Channel 610 (CSTV)?

These channels are included in the Total Choice Premier package at $94/month. :eek: On a side note, included in this package is the Fox Soccer Channel. That alone might make it worthwhile for you to upgrade. :D ;)

44INAROW
03-08-2005, 09:39 AM
Thanks SintonFan. I'll be prepared :)

pirate44
03-08-2005, 11:22 AM

SPF25
03-08-2005, 11:28 AM
Originally posted by SintonFan
I never would have guessed that.:D
44INAROW, Dish network has almost the same function as TIVO now but without the monthly fee. They have the 522 receiver(built in the good ol USA) that controls 2 TVs separately and recording function for each TV. If the 544 is available, you can control 4 separate TVs with one central unit(and record on each one, too).
Whoever comes out, Direct TV or Dish Network, you are allowed one free "wall drop" per installation(positive about the Dish but not positive about Direct). Take advantage of the free wall drop or you will(might) be taken advantage of one of a many unscrupulous installers in this industry. They will try to control your install, you have to remember this is your house and stay in control. Insist on using the existing holes for this install. I hope this helps too. :)
I was very dissatified with Dish Network they got mixed up and sent someone from Dish and a contractor.While doing the install one of them cracked our window. I called to complain and hopefully get it replaired but they just blaimed each other and refused to have it fixed. So be careful and keep an eye on the installer.

Phil C
03-08-2005, 11:48 AM
Actually I would be pleased with any of the cable services as long as they had ESPN1 and 2 and ESPN News and ESPN Classics, ESPN U. FSNSW, CSTV and TCM and the Western Channel, and a local channel or two. I had to get direct tv because they had the cartoon channel that the boys liked plus my wife has to watch American Idol.

SintonFan
03-08-2005, 03:35 PM
Originally posted by SPF25
I was very dissatified with Dish Network they got mixed up and sent someone from Dish and a contractor.While doing the install one of them cracked our window. I called to complain and hopefully get it replaired but they just blaimed each other and refused to have it fixed. So be careful and keep an eye on the installer.
Both Dish and contractors will have insurance. Insist on the fix or contact the BBB.