PDA

View Full Version : Any mechanics around?

spiveyrat
03-07-2005, 02:38 PM
I've got a question for anyone with an auto-mechanic background (or anyone with the experience to match). I have a 1995 Ford F-150 with the 4.9 Liter six cylinder. Lately, it's been actiing up a little on me. In the afternoons when I'm on my way home from work, the engine chokes and gasps and acts like it's trying to die for about 2-5 minutes after I've been driving for about 2 minutes. While it's choking, it blasts black smoke out of my tail pipe. Then it drives normally for the rest of the trip.

On a side note, every-so-often it's hard to start and when I do eventually get it started, it chokes and gasps just like it does wen I'm driving, black smoke and all.

And then on another side note, sometimes when I brake a little harder than normal it will try to die the same way as if the force of the braking is keeping the gas from being pumped from the tank into the engine.

I mentioned it does it in the afternoon because that is almost exclusively when it happens. VERY rarely will it do this in the mornings. It's almost like it only wants to die when it turns a certain temperature outside. I know that sounds crazy, but that's my observation. Any ideas?

Bandera YaYa
03-07-2005, 02:41 PM
Ask Sinton66..he helped me with my truck prob last nite........

pirate44
03-07-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
Ask Sinton66..he helped me with my truck prob last nite........
so i assume you filled up on gas like he suggested.:D

Bandera YaYa
03-07-2005, 03:47 PM
hahahahahaha..but he was the only one that offered any kind of help to me ...and NO it was not out of gas! So *sticking tongue out and blowing* !!

lepfan
03-07-2005, 03:51 PM
check your pm's...I have a personal mechanic on duty 24/7....I have his response in your pm box :)

LH Panther Mom
03-07-2005, 03:53 PM
Originally posted by Bandera YaYa
hahahahahaha..but he was the only one that offered any kind of help to me ...and NO it was not out of gas! So *sticking tongue out and blowing* !!

:crying: I helped, just needed to ask questions first so I could give you a correct diagnosis. :D

SintonFan
03-07-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by spiveyrat
I've got a question for anyone with an auto-mechanic background (or anyone with the experience to match). I have a 1995 Ford F-150 with the 4.9 Liter six cylinder. Lately, it's been actiing up a little on me. In the afternoons when I'm on my way home from work, the engine chokes and gasps and acts like it's trying to die for about 2-5 minutes after I've been driving for about 2 minutes. While it's choking, it blasts black smoke out of my tail pipe. Then it drives normally for the rest of the trip.

On a side note, every-so-often it's hard to start and when I do eventually get it started, it chokes and gasps just like it does wen I'm driving, black smoke and all.

And then on another side note, sometimes when I brake a little harder than normal it will try to die the same way as if the force of the braking is keeping the gas from being pumped from the tank into the engine.

I mentioned it does it in the afternoon because that is almost exclusively when it happens. VERY rarely will it do this in the mornings. It's almost like it only wants to die when it turns a certain temperature outside. I know that sounds crazy, but that's my observation. Any ideas?
Your best bet is to buy a code reader or go to autozone and let the guys run them for free. Your computer should reveal the problem.
Possible problems could a mass airflow sensor or coolant temperature sensor. But, get those codes run first!

Bandera YaYa
03-07-2005, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
:crying: I helped, just needed to ask questions first so I could give you a correct diagnosis. :D Oh you did!! I'm am so sorry I forgot!! Bad news today...needs new water pump and temp gauge thingy.....$400 ......next man I marry will be an auto mechanic..... :eek: :D

sinton66
03-07-2005, 08:24 PM
Don't you know, mechanics drive the worst pieces of junk.

SintonFan
03-07-2005, 08:32 PM
Originally posted by sinton66
Don't you know, mechanics drive the worst pieces of junk.
Aint that the truth, 66. Ever notice how plumbers' homes leak, psychiatrists are screwed up, accountants are always being audited for their personal returns and propane drivers never keep their tank full?:D
To name a few that is...

Gobbla2001
03-07-2005, 08:39 PM
I do not know the significance on the time of day, may not mean anything...

Dunno about the black smoke, but you may be dealing with spark-plug issues etc... When was the last time your plugs and ignition wires were changed?

j_dog
03-07-2005, 08:58 PM
....In the afternoons when I'm on my way home from work, the engine chokes and gasps .... Any ideas?
Work is a bad idea! Quit working, and you won't need a vehicle! :D

spiveyrat
03-08-2005, 09:23 AM
Thanks for the help, people! If anyone has any other ideas, feel free to voice them...

Yesterday, it was only 48 degrees when I left work... no sputtering at all... Today it's supposed to be around 60, we'll see what 12 degrees will do...

spiveyrat
03-08-2005, 09:24 AM
Originally posted by j_dog
Work is a bad idea! Quit working, and you won't need a vehicle! :D

That's easy for a retiree to say!!! :p

LH Panther Mom
03-08-2005, 09:36 AM
Fuel filter and/or pump could be clogged or need replacing. Also, the fuel injector system may have a problem. And before all you guys start falling out of your chairs laughing hysterically, we have an '89 F-150. (Plus, I asked hubby for confirmation - he added the injector system.)

Hupernikomen
03-08-2005, 10:19 AM
few possiblities..

someone already mentioned the mass flow air sensor.

Hope it's not the brain (computer chip). That's what it was on my mitsu. when it started dying as I slowed down. And it was hard to crank at times.

Also the idler may need to be adjusted to keep it from acting up.

The best bet is hook it up the computer so it can test all your sensors and the brains.

Bullaholic
03-08-2005, 10:41 AM
Actually, it sounds like the schoomolater is not mixing enough air in the carboroster and may be clogged with feldercarb. Take you divining rod, stand on the north side of your house at 12:00am, point it at Detroit, click your heels together 3 times and say --- "$25,000 for 5 years". :D

(Car trouble is not funny or cheap---hope you do find a quick and inexpensive solution to your problem.)

j_dog
03-08-2005, 10:45 AM
That's easy for a retiree to say!!! :p
that is why i quit working. work, i tried it, and didn't like it! :D

spiveyrat
03-08-2005, 01:17 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Actually, it sounds like the schoomolater is not mixing enough air in the carboroster and may be clogged with feldercarb. Take you divining rod, stand on the north side of your house at 12:00am, point it at Detroit, click your heels together 3 times and say --- "$25,000 for 5 years". :D

(Car trouble is not funny or cheap---hope you do find a quick and inexpensive solution to your problem.)

LOL! Thanks Bull... I still have a sense of humor about it because as of right now it merely a small nuisance. But, I will be trying to correct it before it becomes promoted to a full blown problem.

I can' t believe I've had this truck for 10 years! :eek:

Just remembered something about the day I got it... I picked it up at Jasper Ford and that night drove it to Nacogdoches to watch Jasper beat WOS. :D