PDA

View Full Version : Aransas Pass

nutcrackin
03-07-2005, 11:51 AM
Does anyone have any insight on AP. I am from region II and was just wanting a breakdown of their team.. Thanks.

pirate44
03-07-2005, 11:54 AM
never heard of 'em..:D

District303aPastPlayer
03-07-2005, 11:55 AM
amazing, he wants info on them after he said they stand no chance...

AP Panther Fan
03-07-2005, 11:56 AM
No offense, but I read your other thread and it appears you are fairly self-confident in your team's abilities, so why bother?

If you truly are interested though, you can go to the Corpus Christi Caller Times website and do a little homework. The Aransas Pass ISD website also give various game results.:)

Phil C
03-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Beware of the Howling Panther!

AP Panther Fan
03-07-2005, 11:59 AM
Wish I felt better today....I would normally take this ball and run with it....just not in the mood!:rolleyes: :)

nutcrackin
03-07-2005, 11:59 AM
i guess you didnt' read to well.. my team is gilmer and i just relayed what i have seen... obviously i believe these two teams will meet but what does that have to do with providing info on others... you must be worried or insecure one.

AP Panther Fan
03-07-2005, 12:01 PM
Originally posted by nutcrackin
i guess you didnt' read to well.. my team is gilmer and i just relayed what i have seen... obviously i believe these two teams will meet but what does that have to do with providing info on others... you must be worried or insecure one.

Excuse me, I guess you are fairly confident in Van's abilities. I am not worried or insecured....BUDDY! :hand: :mad:

pirate4state
03-07-2005, 12:25 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
Excuse me, I guess you are fairly confident in Van's abilities. I am not worried or insecured....BUDDY! :hand: :mad:

:eek: Uh-Oh -- she really isn't feel well. Look out. :D

P.S. Hope you feel better soon. :)

AP Panther Fan
03-07-2005, 12:33 PM
Originally posted by pirate4state
P.S. Hope you feel better soon. :)

Thanks, I am going to stick it out a bit longer and probably head home soon. ;)

big daddy russ
03-07-2005, 12:58 PM
I'll throw you a bone...

I was the sports reporter for the paper down there a while back and the core of juniors that are on the team now were just freshmen back then. They had three that got regular PT even on their State Tourney run back then: C Matt Hall, PG Daniel Hayes and one of their wings... can't remember his name for the life of me... Marcus Hernandez, maybe? They've been to the State Tourney now for three out of the last four years and this junior class is probably their most talented class to date. Depending on what they have as far as a supporting cast, next year may actually be the year they're looking forward to.

Hayes is the Coaches' son, excellent handles and a great understanding of the game. He knows how to move with the ball and how to put teammates in a position to score... and that's a description of him as a freshman. He's matured two years since then. The thing that he needed most back then was to work on his offense. He's a gifted athlete and can do a lot of things, but his shot was still coming around back then.

Hall is a tall, lanky kid with decent-to-good athleticism but great hops. He was schooled by former AP All-State post Tommy Blake (who now plays football at TCU). Learned how to use his length against his opponents practicing everyday against the 6-4, 230 pounder. Tommy may have had an inch or two on Matt back then and was definitely more athletic and had more hops, but from what I hear Matt's grown to 6-6. He's a long center with a huge wingspan, but he definitely wasn't a banger in his younger days.

Hernandez was the prodigy of the group. About 5'10" or so last I saw, he could handle the ball, shoot, score inside and knew how to move and where to be when he didn't have the ball. I'd like to get to see how much he's developed and grown. He got more PT than any of the other freshmen.

Their coach, Glen Hayes, has sent his teams to the playoffs the past seven straight years (I think) and has made the Regional Tournament during four of those years. Also, they come out of District 30, which I could safely say is the best basketball district in Region IV. In his last four Regional Tourney visits, Hayes has taken his team to Austin three times.

District 30 has had at least one team in the Regional Final for each of the past 10 years, 12 of the last 16 years, and has had at least one team in the Regional Tourney every year since 1987. By my count, the district has only lost two Regional Finals in the last 10 years: in 1998 Ingleside lost to Stafford and in 1996 when West Oso lost to District Rival and eventual State Champ Sinton. One had to lose.

But saying that District 30 is the toughest district in the state would be a huge stretch. Their only championship in that 14-year stretch was Sinton's in 1996. They have tradition and they have consistency, but they just don't have "greatness."

So yeah, you'll win.;)

mwynn05
03-07-2005, 01:01 PM
Originally posted by District303aPastPlayer
amazing, he wants info on them after he said they stand no chance... Well, most years region IV doesnt do anything at the State Tournament

AP Panther Fan
03-07-2005, 01:09 PM
Originally posted by big daddy russ
Depending on what they have as far as a supporting cast, next year may actually be the year they're looking forward to.

So yeah, you'll win.

They are all seniors this year, so this is the year...next year we will probably be re-building.

Thanks, Russ.

big daddy russ
03-07-2005, 01:16 PM
Originally posted by AP Panther Fan
They are all seniors this year, so this is the year...next year we will probably be re-building.

Thanks, Russ.
Dang, was it that long ago? I must be getting old.

And no problem, AP.:D

AP Panther Fan
03-08-2005, 01:36 PM
Nice article in today's paper!:)

Aransas Pass seniors have sights on title

But first, Panthers have to get past Van in semis

By STUART DUNCAN Caller-Times
March 8, 2005

Thursday’s game
# What: Class 3A boys basketball state semifinal
# Who: No. 11 Aransas Pass vs. No. 2 Van
# When: 3:30 p.m., Thursday
# Where: Frank Erwin Center, U. of Texas, Austin

The dream is alive at Aransas Pass High School this season.

And the Panthers seniors cannot wait for that dream to become a reality when they take to the court Thursday afternoon in Austin. Those nine seniors lead No. 11 Aransas Pass (29-9) into Thursday's Class 3A boys basketball state semifinal game against District 15-3A champion and second-ranked Van (36-2) at 3:30 p.m. at the University of Texas' Frank Erwin Center. The winner earns the right to play either Graham or Diboll in Saturday's state championship game at 10:30 a.m.

"We've been thinking about it since we were in middle school," Aransas Pass senior post Matt Hall said. "We knew if we worked hard enough, someday we would go to state as a senior class. This is what we've been waiting for - forever."

"It's the best feeling in the world," Panthers senior post Eric Mingus said of returning to the state tournament. "We want (to win the state championship) bad. We want it (more) than anybody else in the state."

Aransas Pass intends to prove that this week on a court that hasn't been too kind to it in recent years. The Panthers - who will make their third state semifinal appearance in the past four years - hope the third time will be the charm for them in Austin.

"We've lost both times, so I don't know," Aransas Pass coach Glen Hayes said with a laugh when asked what it would take to get past the semis. "I guess we'll have to figure it out as we go."

The Panthers have certainly mastered the Region IV-3A tournament in Kingsville, winning the crown there three times in the past four years.

And Aransas Pass hopes to carry the momentum gained into this year's state tournament.

The Panthers used two second-half comebacks in the regional tournament against state-ranked Yoakum and Ingram Moore this past weekend just to advance to the state tournament.

That never-say-die mentality and the team's senior leadership have carried the Panthers on more than one occasion this season.

"You look up at the clock and see we're down by nine, and then they make a play, and all of a sudden it's a new game," Hayes said.

In the regional semifinal game, it was 6-foot-3 post Mingus and 6-foot-7 Hall stepping up to combine for 25 points, 15 rebounds and a game-preserving blocked shot to carry the Panthers over No.6 Yoakum, 45-43. Then in the regional final, senior guards Marcus Hernandez and Daniel Hayes combined for 28 points and four 3-pointers to help Aransas Pass avenge last season's playoff loss to No.5 Ingram Moore, 43-37.

Now the Panthers have a chance to leave their mark in Austin and turn the team's recent state tournament fortunes around in the process.

"I'm excited (about returning to the state tournament) but it's not over yet," Daniel Hayes said. "We've still got two more games left."

Apparently, just getting to Austin won't be enough for the Panthers this season. Rather, it's all or nothing for this senior-laden Aransas Pass squad playing in their final high school basketball tournament this week.

big daddy russ
03-08-2005, 04:53 PM
APPF, the difference in talent in those four miles is amazing. AP fields a squad with East Texas-type talent (in both football and hoops) just about every year while Ingleside, on average, has average "South Texas" talent. I really hope your guys can pull it off this year.

I haven't seen Van, but I'm hoping you guys pull it off this year. I'm tired of our district making it to Austin and then coming home empty-handed.

pirate44
03-08-2005, 04:54 PM
I'm tired of our district making it to Austin and then coming home empty-handed.

not all the time

nutcrackin
03-08-2005, 04:56 PM
If you love pure basketball with each player being skilled at every aspect of his game then you will get a thrill out of watching Van play.. their tallest player may be 6'3 but the leader is #25 Brandon Roberts who has already committed to play at UL-Monroe. He is 5'10 and very quick but his composure and unselfishness are his best attributes.

big daddy russ
03-08-2005, 05:01 PM
Originally posted by pirate44
not all the time
Yeah, I guess we've had one.;)

But we've been to the State Tourney almost 75% of the time over the past 20 years (dating back to Ingleside's run in 1985) and only have one championship to show for it. Thank you Sinton, but I'm ready for another one.

pirate44
03-08-2005, 05:03 PM
Yeah, I guess we've had one.;)

But we've been to the State Tourney almost 75% of the time over the past 20 years (dating back to Ingleside's run in 1985) and only have one championship to show for it. Thank you Sinton, but I'm ready for another one.
i agree.

Good Luck AP

AP Panther Fan
03-09-2005, 11:26 AM
From the newspaper this morning, another great article .....

Panthers bench is coming up big

AP's playoff run boosted by able supporting cast

By Stuart Duncan Caller-Times
March 9, 2005

Class 3A semifinals
Graham vs. Diboll, 2 p.m.
Van vs. Aransas Pass , 3:30 p.m.

Aransas Pass has been without one of its starters (because of grades) since the playoffs began. So how have the Panthers responded? By winning four consecutive playoff games to qualify for the Class 3A state boys basketball tournament for the third time in four years.

Now that's resiliency.

Part-time starter and senior guard John Walton moved into a full-time starting role after the Panthers defeated Goliad, 72-51 for first place in District 30-3A. Aransas Pass hasn't missed a beat since. Four consecutive playoff victories later - including back-to-back triumphs over state-ranked teams - the Panthers are thinking about more than being just Region IV-3A champions this season.

No. 11 Aransas Pass (29-9 overall) must get past the state semifinal round first when the Panthers take on No. 2 Van (36-2) at 3:30 p.m. Thursday at the University of Texas' Frank Erwin Center. The winner of that game will meet either No. 8 Graham (30-4) or No. 13 Diboll (27-5) in Saturday's state championship game at 10:30 a.m.

The Panthers probably wouldn't be getting another chance in Austin this season had it not been for Walton and a few super-subs that aren't widely known outside of Aransas Pass.

While he hasn't been flashy or a big-time scorer, the 5-foot-10 Walton has been a big play man during the postseason.

Walton scored a basket that triggered a 17-4 run against fifth-ranked Ingram Moore in the Region IV-3A final this past weekend to help the Panthers overcome a nine-point, third-quarter deficit.

He also hustled for a defensive rebound while drawing a key foul in that game against the Warriors to give Aransas Pass possession with 30 seconds remaining during a 39-37 game. The Panthers were able to pad that lead and take home a 43-37 victory.

"He makes some big plays and plays that go unnoticed," Aransas Pass coach Glen Hayes said of Walton. "But they all do (things) like that constantly. The (Panthers players) that get all of the attention and some of them that don't - they all do a great job."

Walton isn't the only unsung hero among the reserves for Aransas Pass this season.

There are others like senior post George Alvarado, whose baseline drive for a basket against sixth-ranked Yoakum proved key, considering the Panthers won by a 45-43 margin in the Region IV-3A semifinals. Aransas Pass senior guard Brian Quintanilla and Alvarado combined for four rebounds in that game and they also combined for five points in the Panthers' 66-62 regional quarterfinal victory against District 32-3A champion Rio Hondo recently.

Aransas Pass senior post Jarred Day came up with a big offensive rebound in the Yoakum game and later added a fourth quarter steal to help the Panthers hold off the Bulldogs.

"That's what our team is made of - nobody wants to be a hero," Aransas Pass starting senior post Matt Hall said. "We know that if we play as a team, we can come through with a victory."

"They sacrifice their bodies - every one of them for their teammates," Hayes said. "They rely on each other and know that they have somebody there that has got their back. They help each other when they're down - it's like a big brotherhood."

Of course, for Panthers' 6-foot-6 sophomore reserve post Cody Hall - who had two points in the district playoff victory over Goliad - and his 6-foot-7 brother Matt, that goes without saying.