PDA

View Full Version : Cardinals nip Nederland for the Tournament Championship

Old Cardinal
03-05-2005, 10:43 PM
BC seemed to be in total control ahead 9-4 with subs in freely when a Nederland ace hit one over the fence with two on base...Presto it was 9-7.
Nederland got two HRs both with 2 on base; BC countered with another Grand Slam by Ben Myers who was also the winning Pitcher tonight. Ben was relieved in the sixth inning to give All State Junior Pitcher Kevin Angelle some shared time on the mound.
It is really interesting in that teams walk the third hitter in the line up Hunter Homerun Hayes because of his deadly bat. The clean-up hitter Ben Myers then steps up and continues to poke it over the fence as the next(fourth) batter--what a combo these two are back to back in the lineup. It continues to be a great one-two punch; of course if they don't intentionally walk Hunter then he knocks it over the fence. LOL
A very good 5A Sulphur, LA Golden Tornado team took 3rd in a 5-1 contest over WO-S.
Both Nederland and Bridge City are deep in premium Pitchers and that makes them naturals for Tournament play.

WOS1
03-06-2005, 10:57 AM
I must say, I've seen the Cards twice now and I am very impressed. Not only do they have a great pitching staff, but they have some sticks to go along with them. They are playing very really well right now, hope they can keep this pace up throughout the season and into the playoffs. They have now won BOTH tournaments they have played in and have not avoided tough competition in either. So far they have beaten ranked teams in 4A Nederland (previously unbeaten) and LCM, a ranked LA 5A team in Sulphur as well as WO-S and Jasper (twice).

Not bad...

Bobcatfan4life
03-06-2005, 01:10 PM
BC does have a really good team and are the favorites to win the district. Look for Orangefield to contend though. We are 4-1 with two of those wins coming by way of a no-hitter against 5A Port Arthur Memorial in which we took a 5-0 win and a 4-2 victory over Silsbee in route to winning our tournament this past weekend. Our pitching is looking really good and our hitting is starting to come around. Can't wait for March 24 when BC comes to town to start district play!

Old Cardinal
03-06-2005, 01:37 PM
That has certainly not gone unnoticed that OF beat a really good Silsbee team! This District will be a tough one this year! Congrates on your win at your own Tournament....

WOS1
03-06-2005, 02:43 PM
Originally posted by Bobcatfan4life
BC does have a really good team and are the favorites to win the district. Look for Orangefield to contend though. We are 4-1 with two of those wins coming by way of a no-hitter against 5A Port Arthur Memorial in which we took a 5-0 win and a 4-2 victory over Silsbee in route to winning our tournament this past weekend. Our pitching is looking really good and our hitting is starting to come around. Can't wait for March 24 when BC comes to town to start district play!

I agree that OF will contend for a playoff spot, but I don't think they'll be contending with BC (just my opinion). I think OF, WO-S and HF will be fighting it out for the 2nd and 3rd spots. While OF is looking good right now, they have not faced near the same competition that OF and WO-S have been playing. That's not a knock on OF, all you can do is beat the teams on your schedule, but I've seen BC and OF both and I do not think they are on the same level.

Bobcatfan4life
03-06-2005, 03:47 PM
True, we haven't faced the kind of competition BC and WO-S has faced (LC-M, Nederland, Jasper, etc.). We have Barbers Hill, Liberty, and Kelly left on our non-district schedule as well as the Liberty tournament and Woodville tournament. Don't know how good these teams are, but our pitching should keep us in games. Lets hope for an orange county sweep in the district! Good luck to BC and WO-S!

Old Cardinal
03-06-2005, 07:40 PM
That sweep is a good possibility; however H-F will not rollover and play dead. I heard last night that Chris Clothworth the team leader of H-F has just been awarded a free 4-year academic scholarship ride to Texas A&M....
Those teams left to play for OF are some worthy opponents; especially Barbers Hill.

WOS1
03-06-2005, 08:23 PM
That would be cool to have all OC making the playoffs. Let's keep our fingers crossed.

Old Cardinal
03-06-2005, 10:35 PM
I was impressed that WO-S was pretty deep in Pitchers. Does OF have several good Pitchers? I thought it quite unique that BC started a number of Pitchers but were so strong that they did not have to start Kevin Angelle who was unique as a Sophomore All Stater last year. Kevin got the coveted award mainly by striking out more batters than anyone else in 3A.... He came in and fanned 7 out of 8 last night but gave up a HR to a strong hitting Bulldog signed soon-to-be Division I player.

Bobcatfan4life
03-07-2005, 08:54 AM
I've only seen three starters for us this year (Shane Romero, Randall Locke, and Clay Bourgeois). We have one or two more that can come in for relief.