PDA

View Full Version : Chess

PhiI C
03-05-2005, 08:58 PM
Ok for all you chess enthusiastic folks here is a question on the game of chess. Chess is the oldest game in the world even older than football! :eek: What is the name of the only move in chess in which two pieces can be moved during the same move?

Bullaholic
03-05-2005, 08:59 PM
Castleling, Phil.

PhiI C
03-05-2005, 09:27 PM
Originally posted by Bullaholic
Castleling, Phil.

Right you are Bull!

Hupernikomen
03-06-2005, 04:05 PM
actually everytime you capture a piece two pieces are moved..one of them off the board.

What is an empassant?

TheDOCTORdre
03-06-2005, 04:06 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
actually everytime you capture a piece two pieces are moved..one of them off the board.

What is an empassant?
If memory serves me correctly it is when you sacrifice a lesser piece to take a piece of greater value from your opponent, but I might be wrong

Chief Woodman
03-06-2005, 06:03 PM

What is an empassant?

empassant is where the attacking pawn moves to the attackers 5th row, just two away from an defending pawn that has not moved from the defenders second row. In an attempt to avoid a conflict, the defending pawn exercises the option to move two spaces with its first move, placing it right next to the attacking pawn. The attacking pawn can then move to the space behind the fleeing pawn and remove it from the board without occuping the place held by the fleeing pawn. The attacker must say "en passant" (french for "in passing").

Name the three conditions that can result in "Stalemate".

PhiI C
03-06-2005, 08:11 PM
I am not sure if this is what you mean on stalemate but a stalemate is a draw. One condition is that when it is your move your King must be safe (not in check). Another condition is that wherever you move your King he would be attacked (be in check). Another Condition at that same time is that if you could move another piece or pawn your King would be attacked (or in check). Basically stalemate occurs when it is your turn and your King is not in check but whether you move your King or any other piece or pawn it would be in check. The game is a draw.

PhiI C
03-06-2005, 08:20 PM
Chief is right. Empassant started several hundred years ago when the pawn was only allowed one move but in order to speed up the game the rule allowing a pawn to move two moves on the first move if desired was implemented. On disadvantaged noted as Chief said was that it might cheat a pawn of a capture. In other words a pawn might move to escape capture from another pawn by moving two places right beside the other pawn. As Chief has said the rule makers decided to lessen this advantage by allowing the other player on the next move capture the pawn as if it had moved just one move. But he must do so immediately on the next move or lose his right to capture empassant.

Chief Woodman
03-06-2005, 08:31 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
I am not sure if this is what you mean on stalemate but a stalemate is a draw. One condition is that when it is your move your King must be safe (not in check). Another condition is that wherever you move your King he would be attacked (be in check). Another Condition at that same time is that if you could move another piece or pawn your King would be attacked (or in check). Basically stalemate occurs when it is your turn and your King is not in check but whether you move your King or any other piece or pawn it would be in check. The game is a draw.

Not fully correct. Look deeper grasshopper.

Haunta Yo
03-06-2005, 08:43 PM
Technically it's "en passant"

http://www.chessvariants.com/d.chess/enpassant.html

Chief Woodman
03-06-2005, 09:25 PM
Originally posted by Haunta Yo
Technically it's "en passant"

http://www.chessvariants.com/d.chess/enpassant.html

I think thats what I said......lol

Hupernikomen
03-06-2005, 10:53 PM
Originally posted by Chief Woodman
empassant is where the attacking pawn moves to the attackers 5th row, just two away from an defending pawn that has not moved from the defenders second row. In an attempt to avoid a conflict, the defending pawn exercises the option to move two spaces with its first move, placing it right next to the attacking pawn. The attacking pawn can then move to the space behind the fleeing pawn and remove it from the board without occuping the place held by the fleeing pawn. The attacker must say "en passant" (french for "in passing").

Name the three conditions that can result in "Stalemate".

3 conditions hmmm

1. both players agree.
2. one player can't move w/o being put into check.
3. both players repeat the same move 5 times?? (some number of repeated moves.)

Hupernikomen
03-06-2005, 11:00 PM
Originally posted by PhiI C
Ok for all you chess enthusiastic folks here is a question on the game of chess. Chess is the oldest game in the world even older than football! :eek: What is the name of the only move in chess in which two pieces can be moved during the same move?

It is very questionable whether or not chess is the oldest game in the world. That distiction is given to chess, backgammon and The African Stone Game depending on who you ask.

Chief Woodman
03-06-2005, 11:03 PM
3 conditions hmmm

1. both players agree.
2. one player can't move w/o being put into check.
3. both players repeat the same move 5 times?? (some number of repeated moves.)

Very good! The last one is actually both players repeating the same move three moves in a row.

Chief Woodman
03-06-2005, 11:06 PM
It is very questionable whether or not chess is the oldest game in the world. That distiction is given to chess, backgammon and The African Stone Game depending on who you ask.

The oldest game in the word is a woman getting her man to do something that he knows is wrong by just...."Don't you love me?" Been that way since the Garden......

Necked
03-07-2005, 12:15 AM
Very good! The last one is actually both players repeating the same move three moves in a row.

Also, if all the pieces are captured, leaving only the Kings on the board, that is also a draw...

Oh, and there is one more obscure draw situation, If there have been 50 consecutive moves of white and of black without:
any piece taken
any pawn move
then a player can claim a draw...

Hupernikomen
03-07-2005, 12:30 AM
Originally posted by Necked
Also, if all the pieces are captured, leaving only the Kings on the board, that is also a draw...

Oh, and there is one more obscure draw situation, If there have been 50 consecutive moves of white and of black without:
any piece taken
any pawn move
then a player can claim a draw...

I doubt serious players ever get to the point of two kings on the board before they decide it is a draw, but that is certianly a draw. I have never heard of the 50 move rule but it makes sense to me.

pirate44
03-07-2005, 08:53 AM
Phil C, here is a complicated move pirate44 jr. made, setting up check mate against Garry Kasparov.
http://img192.exs.cx/img192/739/mh03small4ib.jpg

Phil C
03-07-2005, 09:12 AM

I knew that but actually I was right on the question. The question was three conditions of STALEMATE not a DRAW. Chief meant to ask the three conditions of a DRAW. I should have known better though. Careful with the question wording Chief. :)

SPF25
03-07-2005, 11:57 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
Phil C, here is a complicated move pirate44 jr. made, setting up check mate against Garry Kasparov.

What a handsome boy. He looks familiar. :D

Phil C
03-07-2005, 02:15 PM

Way to go Pirate44 jr. :)

Phil C
03-09-2005, 03:12 PM
What is the shortest number of movies in which a checkmate can be achieved assuming both sides make the necessary moves?

pirate44
03-09-2005, 04:33 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
What is the shortest number of movies in which a checkmate can be achieved assuming both sides make the necessary moves?
with my intimidation techniques, my opponents usually give up after just one move.:D

Phil C
03-18-2005, 12:41 PM
Another question: What does O-O-O mean in chess? You must be specific.

LH Panther Mom
03-18-2005, 12:44 PM

O-O-O.....I did not mean to move that Rook there. :doh: ;)

AP Panther Fan
03-18-2005, 12:50 PM

Oh nO anO ther chess question.

Just kidding, of course.:D

pirate44
03-18-2005, 12:54 PM
something to do with castling

Phil C
03-18-2005, 02:49 PM
something to do with castling

Very very close but I need a little big more specific information.

Phil C
03-18-2005, 02:49 PM
Originally posted by LH Panther Mom
O-O-O.....I did not mean to move that Rook there. :doh: ;)

Great original guess but Alas! It is not the answer I am looking for! :(

pirate44
03-18-2005, 02:53 PM
Very very close but I need a little big more specific information.
designation for a castling move?

Phil C
03-18-2005, 02:53 PM
Come on now! Don't give up. :(

Phil C
03-18-2005, 02:54 PM
designation for a castling move?

Very very very close 44! But which side?

pirate44
03-18-2005, 02:56 PM
Very very very close 44! But which side?
queen side of course;)

Phil C
03-18-2005, 03:01 PM
queen side of course;)

Magnificient Pirate44 and quite correct!!

O-O stands for King side castling.

Phil C
03-18-2005, 03:03 PM
At a chess match Gary Kasparov who is probably the greatest chess player ever remarked about one of the players: "There sits this poor fellow with whom you cannot have an intelligent conversation. And what is more he plays poor chess."

Who was he talking about? (Last name will do).

Phil C
03-18-2005, 03:13 PM
Oh and Gary was not a participate in that match.

crzyjournalist03
03-18-2005, 03:15 PM

I've seen it done if four...don't know if that's the number though.

Bullaholic
03-18-2005, 03:15 PM
I think he was talking about the IBM computer, Phil.

Phil C
03-18-2005, 03:18 PM
Actually black can checkmate white in two moves crz.
Bull he was talking about a person. It was a match involving two people and not a computer.

Phil C
03-18-2005, 03:34 PM
Originally posted by crzyjournalist03
I've seen it done if four...don't know if that's the number though.

crz of course white has to help black by making two very poor moves.

On the first movie black moves the pawn in front of his king knight two spaces up. This is considered a poor move by chess masters because it doesn't attack the center and it doesn't free a piece for development and it could create a weekness for castling on the king side.

After this movie black moves the pawn in front of the king two spaces up. This is a good developing move that attacks the center and opens up a space for the bishop beside the king to move.

Then white moves the pawn in front of his king bishop up one space. This is a gross blunder. It does not really attack the center, it blocks a space for the king knight to develope and worse yet it goes against the chess rule that the king must be protected and safe at all times!

Black then ends the game by moving his queen five spaces in front of the king rook. It is checkmate. Back cannot take the queen to get out of check, he has no piece to move in front of the queen to block off the check and even though he can move one space diagonally with his king the king is still in check. The game is over in two moves.

Remember in chess one move is one in which white moves then black moves right afterward.

crzyjournalist03
03-18-2005, 03:39 PM
ah...ok...I was counting black as move then white as a move...that's the plan I saw though.