PDA

View Full Version : Final Score Silsbee: 77 Mexia 63

j_dog
03-04-2005, 09:47 PM
I found this on another board. Silsbee showed just how tough SE Texas basketball is. Congratulations! :)

j_dog
03-04-2005, 09:49 PM
Judging from the posts, Silsbee evidently led all, or most of the game. Their biggest lead was at least 19 points according to one post. They definitely led at the end of each quarter.

KTJ
03-04-2005, 09:59 PM
Surprising but not shocking.

Hupernikomen
03-04-2005, 10:13 PM
Originally posted by KTJ
Surprising but not shocking.

surprising some tiger fans since some seem to think their new coach isn't up to snuff.

I don't buy it..congrats to the tigers and coach williams.

j_dog
03-04-2005, 10:30 PM
Originally posted by Hupernikomen
surprising some tiger fans since some seem to think their new coach isn't up to snuff.

I don't buy it..congrats to the tigers and coach williams.
Evidently he knows SOMETHING! :) At the very least he knows how to hire good assistants and to let them do their job!

AggiesAreWe
03-04-2005, 11:01 PM
Coach Williams did not hire any assistants. Only the athletic director can hire coaches with superintendent approval. The assistants on the basketball team have been coaching in Silsbee for the last 8 to 10 years. This is Coach Williams 2nd year in Silsbee. I live next door to one of the asst. coaches. I've been to their practices, been to their games, I know who does the coaching of the team. Most everybody that knows Silsbee basketball knows it too. I am very happy that our team is doing so well, but sad that Coach Williams is getting the credit for it. He is an okay guy, but we could have done better. By know means do I think that they should have hired one of the assistants as head coach, but I think we should have hired a more seasoned head coach and not one that had never been a head coach ever. Tomorrow night we will find out what kind of coach Travis Williams really is. Great win Tigers.

j_dog
03-04-2005, 11:14 PM
Okay, maybe he just lets them do their job! That would be good enough for me.

Tiger90
03-05-2005, 12:29 AM
So a team that has been mediocre at best the past 6-7 years is one game away from a possible state appearance and it has nothing to do with the head coach......sure. He does trust his staff just as any head coach should. He spent time on Kountze's state title runs as well as Ozen's yet he doesn't know anything...rrrriiiiggghhht. Silsbee has not been a powerhouse since the 80s. No "seasoned" coach really applied for the job 2 years ago. David Green a Silsbee native and PA Memorial head coach refused it. It is no secret some of the other coaches do not see eye to eye with Williams. He favors basketball not football, in Silsbee the mentality is football is king of all. It has been that way forever.

And tommorrow if he wins then he is a good coach and if he loses is bad? Must be a lot of sorry coaches in the state since a loss in the quarterfinals means you can't cut it. Sutherland at HJ must be devastatead to know how bad a coach he must be.

Hupernikomen
03-05-2005, 11:16 AM
Originally posted by Tiger90
So a team that has been mediocre at best the past 6-7 years is one game away from a possible state appearance and it has nothing to do with the head coach......sure. He does trust his staff just as any head coach should. He spent time on Kountze's state title runs as well as Ozen's yet he doesn't know anything...rrrriiiiggghhht. Silsbee has not been a powerhouse since the 80s. No "seasoned" coach really applied for the job 2 years ago. David Green a Silsbee native and PA Memorial head coach refused it. It is no secret some of the other coaches do not see eye to eye with Williams. He favors basketball not football, in Silsbee the mentality is football is king of all. It has been that way forever.

And tommorrow if he wins then he is a good coach and if he loses is bad? Must be a lot of sorry coaches in the state since a loss in the quarterfinals means you can't cut it. Sutherland at HJ must be devastatead to know how bad a coach he must be.

Exactly Tiger.

Although I haven't been to the practices at Silsbee, I have seen Coach Williams coaching while at Kountze. He certainly knows basketball. Not every coach is going to meet everyones personal taste but the proof is in the pudding. Silsbee has been brought back to the forefront of basketball on the state-level for the first time in a while. Those assistants were there before Williams and they didn't get it done. A good coach will allow his assistant to coach what they know. Heck maybe they are better coaches than Williams, it is a team sport and they all deserve credit..lets not forget the talented young men who are winning on the court either.

Tiger90
03-05-2005, 11:27 AM
Exactly. The talent although down from decades past has been there. It is all in how you motivate and instill discipline that allows you to be successful. A group full of kids who know the game of bball will win over sheer talent everytime. When the two come together greats things can happen.