PDA

View Full Version : Coaching School

PlayHardWinHard
07-27-2002, 04:40 AM
Most coaches have been working for a week getting ready for Aug. 5. Now we get to take a break and head to Houston for the THSCA annual coaching school. Its time to get to work! You Got To Love IT!

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-28-2002, 09:50 PM
Next year's "Coaching School" will be my first one. Since it will be in the Dallas/Ft. Worth area, it will be convenient for me to go. I probably won't be coaching/teaching until the 04-05 school year, but I can still join the THSCA. I'll be meeting my former H.S. coach coming in from Brownsville. But i'm not sure what to expect when going to "Coaching School". Could you shed some light on that?

oldbuff78
07-28-2002, 10:34 PM
Bring plenty of money and don't plan on getting alot of sleep!!

eye of the tiger
07-28-2002, 10:43 PM
Bring you golf clubs.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-28-2002, 11:05 PM
Originally posted by eye of the tiger:
Bring you golf clubs.

Well, I won't be needing too much money since next year's coaching school is in Dallas, and I live in Richardson. NO PROBLEM there.

And golf clubs.....NO problem. But SERIOUSLY, guys. What kinds of things should I expect there? I'll be coaching on the offensive side of the ball, are there "classes" on offensive schemes and such?

Jacket2000
07-29-2002, 02:49 AM
LOL Do you think that coaches go to the THSCA school to learn?!
Oh,and the money you'll need isnt for a motel room, I'll just leave it at that.
J2K

Matthew328
07-29-2002, 11:11 AM
LOL I don't think there is a whole lot of learning that goes on..you have a few seminars and things of the sort..but mostly it is a chance for coaches to network and basically BS...LOL It is also a place for aspiring coaches to go and try and get hired...and many school districts that are still looking for teachers and coaches are there as well...At least from the coaching school I went to in Ft Worth that is what I saw..unless there is some behind the scenes stuff goin on...

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-29-2002, 11:11 AM
Originally posted by Jacket2000:
LOL Do you think that coaches go to the THSCA school to learn?!
Oh,and the money you'll need isnt for a motel room, I'll just leave it at that.
J2K

The reason for coaching school SHOULD be to learn, but obviously it has been turned into one big coaches party. Sad.

I'll just call my soon-to-be boss down in Brownsville and ask him what I should expect at coaching school. Thanks for your "help", coaches. (i'm assuming everyone that has posted on here is a coach)

TarponFanInNorthTexas
07-29-2002, 02:28 PM
Originally posted by Matthew328:
LOL I don't think there is a whole lot of learning that goes on..you have a few seminars and things of the sort..but mostly it is a chance for coaches to network and basically BS...LOL It is also a place for aspiring coaches to go and try and get hired...and many school districts that are still looking for teachers and coaches are there as well...At least from the coaching school I went to in Ft Worth that is what I saw..unless there is some behind the scenes stuff goin on...

I'll just be there for the seminars (offenseive, and special teams), and to hopefully bump into other coaches I know. I won't be needing to do much networking because i'm already guaranteed a spot on my former HS coach's staff upon my graduation, whether he be down in Brownsville, or elsewhere in Texas. (I'm hoping Converse Judson, that'd be a fun place to start. My alma mater Port Isabel will come eventually)

PlayHardWinHard
08-01-2002, 09:10 PM
Coaching school is an opportunity for coaches to hear a few good speakers and spend some quality time with our colleagues before the rigourous stressful year begins. We also have the opportunity to visit different vendors to see the newest inovations in athletic equipment and supplies. Another extremely important part of coaching school is time for the regional meetings as well as the general meeting and hall of honor luncheon. As for actual football clinic, that is done in San Angelo annually. Once you become a coach and member you will realize the importance of the school. Welcome to the greatest profession in the world.

TarponFanInNorthTexas
08-01-2002, 10:01 PM
Originally posted by PlayHardWinHard:
Coaching school is an opportunity for coaches to hear a few good speakers and spend some quality time with our colleagues before the rigourous stressful year begins. We also have the opportunity to visit different vendors to see the newest inovations in athletic equipment and supplies. Another extremely important part of coaching school is time for the regional meetings as well as the general meeting and hall of honor luncheon. As for actual football clinic, that is done in San Angelo annually. Once you become a coach and member you will realize the importance of the school. Welcome to the greatest profession in the world.

Not there quite yet, but will be soon. Thanks much for the welcome!