justlikesports
03-04-2005, 07:47 AM
Will be named at Noon today.

CheerMom
03-04-2005, 09:48 AM
Let us know what you find out.

vet93
03-04-2005, 09:56 AM
The man is Mickey Owens....all that is lacking is the official stamp. Everyone in Ballinger already knows he is leaving...he told everyone at school on Wednesday or Thursday. We are now looking for a new coach. Good luck to Coach Owens....Monahans has gotten a class individual and very good coach.

CheerMom
03-05-2005, 02:55 PM
Is this official, yet?

justlikesports
03-06-2005, 11:03 AM
Yes it is official. Mickey Owens is the new man in Monahans. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you, been away. Anxious to see who stays and who goes here in town.

CheerMom
03-06-2005, 11:24 AM
Originally posted by justlikesports
Yes it is official. Mickey Owens is the new man in Monahans. Sorry I haven't gotten back to you, been away. Anxious to see who stays and who goes here in town.

Thanks. I wonder if Rusty Roark will stay in town. I was hoping he would get the job.

Wtx_coach
03-06-2005, 04:15 PM
no cheer mom, but he up for the stockton job, 50 miles down south of monahans , he is one of the favs, hope they get him

oh well
03-06-2005, 05:40 PM
The stockton job is a hot topic do you know who all has applied???

SuperFan#1
03-06-2005, 05:49 PM
How many asst.'s are staying/leaving Monahans? Who all will the new guy bring in?

CheerMom
03-06-2005, 05:52 PM
Originally posted by Wtx_coach
no cheer mom, but he up for the stockton job, 50 miles down south of monahans , he is one of the favs, hope they get him

Anyone would be lucky to have him!!

WTF-82
03-07-2005, 11:46 PM
This was a great hire for Monahans and Owens made a great
choice. Monahans has always been one of the premiere Football jobs in the West Texas and the State. Monahans has had some great athletes but you have got to put politics behind and run a program the way AD wants it. Monahans will win with the right Ad and Coach and they have him now. Coach Hanna has done great job I belive you need a great Staff to win every year though. And stick with what makes you strong as a Coach moving to the spread was Hanna biggest mistake, the offense was confused they got away with it last year but teams learned how to defend an offense that was easy to predict. You dont learn the spread overnight.

lobo12
03-08-2005, 04:23 AM
i disagree, i think it was a great idea to run the spread. i think that he should have ran it a year earlier though they had some great athletes to run that offense. they wouldnt have been able to win some of those games with the wing t the past two years. everyone in town was complaining about the offense not putting up points and now everybody is complaining about not running the ball. i think hanna made the right move, if he would have gone with it a year earlier it would have made a big difference. in my opinion it was a great decision, the players wanted to run it more than anybody

panther power
03-08-2005, 12:04 PM
the spread was key to their success 2 years ago when they won the district, it was mainlt a lack of role players that hurt them this year. Kenyon was good but he had no running game to keep the defense guessing. The spread was good, if you have other threats. Look at us. Jefferson ran it to perfection, we had a running game and recievers that could catch.....

Hanna is a great coach, anyone with a ring has to have some skills

Black_Magic
03-08-2005, 12:35 PM
I think The spread makes a team Soft overall. THe whole mentality is passive. I like Good hard nosed football on BOTH sides of the ball.

panther power
03-08-2005, 12:43 PM
I guess you have to go with what type of kids you have....

lobo dad
03-08-2005, 01:23 PM
Goodl Luck to Coach Owens in Monahans.
My money is on that coach from Marfa to land the Ft. Stockton job. Already has Ft. Stockton ties.

WTF-82
03-08-2005, 03:43 PM
You have to know how to run the Wing-T to be succesfull Hanna got away from checks and pairs that killed them youre staff has to know how to run it dont forget how many titles have been won with this type of offense. Remember you can throw with the Wing-T but Monahans never attempted this through Hanna's time I belive they got away from what makes this offense great. Belieive me if you spread it with the Wing-T it is the same offense as the spread and easier zone blocking with youre linemen Monahans use to master this offense in every phase of it.

oh well
03-08-2005, 04:44 PM
so did permian in the day. I loved the buck sweep when I played there.

Black_Magic
03-09-2005, 10:47 AM
Originally posted by oh well
so did permian in the day. I loved the buck sweep when I played there. Permian!?? During the 1987 season. too. arnt you the guy who NEARLY made the goal line vs Carter?

panther power
03-09-2005, 11:19 AM
Don't look for henson to return to that easy.

lobo12
03-09-2005, 12:44 PM
they played carter in 88, i forgot who they lost to in 87 but i remember them beating arlington high after being down by like 28 at halftime

WTF-82
03-09-2005, 02:57 PM
PLANO

Wtx_coach
03-09-2005, 09:18 PM
u got it guys, permian and monahans used to run it to perfection , bren holland in monahans , remember his qbs throwing for over 1,000 yds, if u run it right and now how , it still works

WTF-82
03-10-2005, 12:06 AM
YOU ARE BRILLIANT

lobo12
03-10-2005, 12:23 AM
it gets kinda hard to pound the ball down the throat of those east texas schools. sometimes there just simply isnt the size to do it. it can work but i dont think it can win you a state championship, too many numbers and talent in east texas

WTF-82
03-10-2005, 12:45 AM
RICE CONSOLIDATED POUNDED THE FOOTBALL IN EAST TEXAS AND WON WITH THE WING T COUPLE OF YEARS AGO THEY HAD A QB WHO THREW THE FOOTBALL WELL ALSO. ITS WHO IS RUNNING THE SYSTEM MONAHANS AND PERMIAN WERE ALWAYS UNDERSIZED BUT STILL WON MANY GAMES. YOU CANNOT RUN JR HIGH LEVEL OFFENSE WITH THE WING T ONCE YOURE IN THE HIGHT SCHOOL VARSITY LEVEL THE OFFENSE IS AT A TOTALLY NEW LEVEL.

lobo12
03-10-2005, 12:46 AM
they also werent competing against the same level of competition of now a days, what happend when permian played a houston team in the 80's for state, they got pounded....west texas enrollment is down and east is up, believe me its hard to do

WTF-82
03-10-2005, 01:01 AM
YOU SOUND LIKE MONAHANS AND HANNA

YOU JUST GOT TO OPEN IT UP MORE GET TOUGHER THE SPREAD IS NOT A MIRACLE HELPER. YOU CAN OPEN IT UP WITH ANY OFFENSE
IT HAS BEEN DONE. AND ALSO YOU CANT COMPARE TO TH E COMPETION AS AN EXCUSE MONAHANS PLAYED 4-A BALL WITH A 3-A ENROLLMENT FOR ALMOST 10 YEARS KIDS HAVE TO STAY OF THE STREETS AND INTO THE GYM LIKE THEY USED TO.

WTF-82
03-10-2005, 01:04 AM
AND PERMIAN WON 3 TITLES AGAINST EAST TEXAS IN THE 80'S THE TEAM THAT POUNDED THEM IN 85 WAS PROB. THE BEST NFL HIGH SCHOOL TEAM EVER. HOUSTON YATES BUT WON TITLES IN 80,84,89.

lobo12
03-10-2005, 01:07 AM
when they were running the wing t, the year we went to the quarters and lost to everman everyone in the town was wanting him to change the offense even the players. he did it, and won a district title with a top 5 team in the district, next year had one of the best offenses in west texas but not a defense to compliment it, so now all of a sudden everyone wants to go back to the wing t for some reason

WTF-82
03-10-2005, 01:15 AM
WHAT I AM SAYING IS EVEN WHEN HANNA STAFF RAN THE WING T
I DONT BELIEVE THEY RAN IT TO ITS ABILITY GOING TO THE SPREAD IS FINE BUT THE PLAY CALLING WAS TERRIBLE SOMETIMES REMEMBER THE LAST DRIVE IN THE GREENWOOD GAME. AND IT WAS NOT THE TOWN WHO WANTED THE CHANGE IT WAS PLAYERS AND NEW ASSISTANT COACHES WHO NEVER UNDERTOOD THE POWER OF THE WING T IF YOU DONT HAVE A DEFENSE THEN YOU BETTER CONTROL THE CLOCK MONAHANS HAD ONE RUNNING PLAY IN THE I COME ON THIS IS VARSITY LEVEL IN TEXAS.

lobo12
03-10-2005, 01:17 AM
i agree with you mostly, permian and monahans were undersized when they were winning but the teams werent near as big, fast, or strong...you just cant do it now a days

lobo12
03-10-2005, 01:19 AM
you are wrong the town did want to change the offense, i know that for a fact

SuperFan#1
03-10-2005, 08:27 AM
What assistants are leaving Monahans? What assistants are coming from Ballinger?

justlikesports
03-10-2005, 09:47 AM
No news on who is coming, going, staying. We are on spring break this week. Coach Owens first official day is next Monday, March 14.

Wtx_coach
03-11-2005, 09:16 PM
ok lobo 12, ole 82 understands football, first of all, u dont let the parents and town tell u what to run, no one ever told coach holland what to run, thats why monahans lost its spunk, hanna is a great coach and person, but he let people get into his business, and the competition, comeon lobo 12, back in the holland days they were undersized , the 93 team was special, andrews#4, big springs#6 and sweetwater number #8 in the state, the loboes had 3 aaa numbers that yr , but elected to stay at 4a, now thats competition, and only 2 teams went, they lost to andrews by1, beat sweetwater in sweetwater by 1, stopped the number #1 ranked passer in the state , terry klemmer. when u run the ball u win football games , yes u have to pass but running opens up the wing-t

lobo12
03-11-2005, 09:33 PM
i agree, believe me i know they were undersized...but he changed not because of the parents but because we just werent getting the job done running the ball...with the athletes we had they worked better in the spread and he proved that by winning district the first year, and having one of the top rated offenses in west texas the second year, it depends on who you have and he felt like the spread would be best...look at the points per game they had in 01-02 and in 03-04....i know what your saying and i agree with you, i do however think hanna made the right decision by going to the spread

WTF-82
03-11-2005, 11:53 PM
YES LOBO 12 UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING AND ITS AND EXCUSE YOU CAN SPREAD WITH ANY OFFENSE TOM OSBRONE OPTION OFFENSE WAS A SPREAD BY MONAHANS GOING TO THE SPREAD THE OFFENSIVE COACHES WERE CONFUSED. AND MONAHANS OFFENSIVE WAS NOT IMPRESSIVE AT ALL IN THE LAST TO YEARS THE ONLY GOOD GAME THEY HAD WAS GREENWOOD LAST YEAR THIS YEAR MERKEL SHUT THEM DOWN AS DID GREENWOOD YALL SCORED AGAINST TEAMS WITH NO DEFENSE LIKE A SHOOT OUT AGAINST FT. STOCKTON PECOS SEMINOLE SHUT YALL DOWN LIKE USUAL YALL HAD NUMBERS BECAUSE YALL PLAYED LAMESA AND PECOS. VERY WEAK TEAMS. YALL GOT 4RTH PLACE IN ONE OF THE WEAKEST DISTRICTS IN THE STATE THIS YEAR THIS DISTRICT WAS DOWN YOU KIDS HAVE TO GET TOUGHER OWENS NEVER LOST TO MERKEL EVEN THE YEAR MERKEL HAD ITS GREAT PLAYOFF RUN. HE RUNS HIS PROGRAM THE WAY HE WANTS IT NOT THE WAY HIS PARENTS, ASSISTANTS WANT TO RUN HIS PROGRAM AND WITH LESS NUMBERS IN BALLINGER.

WTF-82
03-11-2005, 11:56 PM
LOBOES WILL BE STRONGER TOUGHER AND FASTER SMARTER.
UNDER OWENS

vet93
03-12-2005, 09:26 AM
Actually you are partially right.....Ballinger lost to Merkel this past year 40 something to 20 something. The other three years they beat Merkel, however the year that they had the big playoff run Ballinger played them without the kid at qb who was a stud that year in the playoffs. Having said that.....Owens gets alot out of his players and if he has an even amount will talent and good team attitudes....he will beat you almost everytime.

Originally posted by ***-82
YES LOBO 12 UNDERSTAND WHAT YOU ARE SAYING AND ITS AND EXCUSE YOU CAN SPREAD WITH ANY OFFENSE TOM OSBRONE OPTION OFFENSE WAS A SPREAD BY MONAHANS GOING TO THE SPREAD THE OFFENSIVE COACHES WERE CONFUSED. AND MONAHANS OFFENSIVE WAS NOT IMPRESSIVE AT ALL IN THE LAST TO YEARS THE ONLY GOOD GAME THEY HAD WAS GREENWOOD LAST YEAR THIS YEAR MERKEL SHUT THEM DOWN AS DID GREENWOOD YALL SCORED AGAINST TEAMS WITH NO DEFENSE LIKE A SHOOT OUT AGAINST FT. STOCKTON PECOS SEMINOLE SHUT YALL DOWN LIKE USUAL YALL HAD NUMBERS BECAUSE YALL PLAYED LAMESA AND PECOS. VERY WEAK TEAMS. YALL GOT 4RTH PLACE IN ONE OF THE WEAKEST DISTRICTS IN THE STATE THIS YEAR THIS DISTRICT WAS DOWN YOU KIDS HAVE TO GET TOUGHER OWENS NEVER LOST TO MERKEL EVEN THE YEAR MERKEL HAD ITS GREAT PLAYOFF RUN. HE RUNS HIS PROGRAM THE WAY HE WANTS IT NOT THE WAY HIS PARENTS, ASSISTANTS WANT TO RUN HIS PROGRAM AND WITH LESS NUMBERS IN BALLINGER.

VWG
03-12-2005, 10:11 AM
So what is the timetable on assistants staying/leaving Monahans and Ballinger?

vet93
03-12-2005, 11:24 AM
VWG...Coach Owens first day at Monahans is next Monday. Ballinger has already hired his replacement. Ballinger hired Brent Brevard, a former Ballinger grad who played under Coach Randy Allen and later coached with him at Abilene Cooper and Highland Park. Most recently he was the OC at Daingerfield. One of the assistants at Ballinger (coach spivey) is supposedly up for the Sterling City head job. He would be the only coach that I can think of that would go to Monahans with Mickey. I don't know who else Coach Brevard is going to bring in to ballinger and I am not sure what is going to happen with the assistants at Monahans. Two of the current assistants applied for the job and at least one is rumored to have applied at Ft. Stockton. Coach Owens could have a power packed staff in Monahans if they all stay (Mitchell a long time solid assistant, Roark-former head coach at rice consol. McWilliams -former head coach at Eden and Spivey -long time DC under Mickey).

Originally posted by VWG
So what is the timetable on assistants staying/leaving Monahans and Ballinger?

Wtx_coach
03-12-2005, 09:22 PM
he would be surrounded by good people if roark stays and owens has a spot for him, would think so, the only coach i now of coming is his basketball coach he had at rankin, richardson is the name, rumors r roark is the top 3 choices in stockton, out of 92 applicants

DukeNukem
03-13-2005, 11:27 AM
what are monahans and ballinger's history as far keeping coaches on staff or allowing the new guy to bring people in. do these places only let the new guy bring in someone for openings or do they allow head coaches to choose to reassign so he can bring who he wants?

DukeNukem
03-14-2005, 11:25 PM
ttt

vet93
03-15-2005, 09:38 AM
I don't know about Monahans.....Ballinger usually lets the new coach bring a few new coaches. There will be several spots open. However, they have kept coaches who have wanted to stay within the community. Coach Robert Buxkemper has been there since the late seventies, Coach Jim Fryar is there right now and has no plans to leave at this time unless asked to. There may be some younger coaches leaving and going with Mickey....I have not heard at this time.

Originally posted by DukeNukem
what are monahans and ballinger's history as far keeping coaches on staff or allowing the new guy to bring people in. do these places only let the new guy bring in someone for openings or do they allow head coaches to choose to reassign so he can bring who he wants?