PDA

View Full Version : Pic of Freshman Girl's Dunk Attempt

kepdawg
03-04-2005, 12:52 AM
This pic is of Brooklyn Pope, a 6'2" freshman from FW Dunbar and was taken in the semifinal game against Lincoln. The ball slipped out of her hand, but it is still rather impressive.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/03-05/0304dunbar.jpg

Gobbla2001
03-04-2005, 12:58 AM
I believe that Snow, of/at Tennessee, was the first woman to dunk a basketball in Women's NCAA...

Just trying to beat anyone to the punch who would attempt a trivia question...

kepdawg
03-04-2005, 01:03 AM
Originally posted by Gobbla2001
I believe that Snow, of/at Tennessee, was the first woman to dunk a basketball in Women's NCAA...

Just trying to beat anyone to the punch who would attempt a trivia question...

You know us Gobbla! We are some trivia fools!

HighSchool Fan
03-04-2005, 07:45 AM
Originally posted by kepdawg
This pic is of Brooklyn Pope, a 6'2" freshman from FW Dunbar and was taken in the semifinal game against Lincoln. The ball slipped out of her hand, but it is still rather impressive.

http://www.dallasnews.com/sharedcontent/dws/img/03-05/0304dunbar.jpg

she has dunked in a game before. she also said that she is gonna dunk in the championship game

Phil C
03-04-2005, 09:08 AM
I used to enjoy dunking but today give me a good layup any time. The refs have gotten to where they allow traveling with the dunking (and many times that is just for certain players) and have favoritism (spelling?) now with certain players. :(

Macarthur
03-04-2005, 10:42 AM
you know, I'm not trying to be negative, but I watched the video on the news and it really wasn't that impressive. She lost control of the ball really early and simply grabbed the rim.

Obvioulsy, if she has dunked, that is certainly impressive, especiall since she's a freshman, I think.

big daddy russ
03-04-2005, 10:53 AM
Does anyone know of any HS chicks that have dunked? The only other three girls I've ever heard about were Lisa Leslie, Snow and the girl that played for LSU.

pirate44
03-04-2005, 10:54 AM
am i the only one who could care less about a girl dunking?

jason
03-04-2005, 10:55 AM
Originally posted by pirate44
am i the only one who could care less about a girl dunking? no...im right there with you...

neck_06
03-04-2005, 11:09 AM
the girl can jump, we have a freshman girl @ columbia who can already grab the rim, but she is only 5' 10''

kepdawg
03-04-2005, 01:23 PM

I am simply impressed with her athletic ability and elevation. The dunking part of it is insignificant.

KTJ
03-04-2005, 01:43 PM
Dunbar, usually known for the boys hoops and not the girls, must be really spectacular if they beat Dallas Lincoln in the semi's. Lincoln is a powerhouse in 4A and is in Austin pretty much every year.

HighSchool Fan
03-04-2005, 03:08 PM

when a girl gets up and dunks, that's impressive. what's not impressive is guys over 6 foot tall dunking the ball.

pirate44
03-04-2005, 03:13 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan
when a girl gets up and dunks, that's impressive. what's not impressive is guys over 6 foot tall dunking the ball.
dunks are so cliche these days. most all whether by guys or gals are boring. now show me a girl who can do this, and i might raise an eyebrow
http://img221.exs.cx/img221/2450/jordandunk876cj.jpg

mwynn05
03-04-2005, 05:08 PM
am i the only one who could care less about a girl dunking? same here

Macarthur
03-04-2005, 05:59 PM
Originally posted by HighSchool Fan

I would take some issue with your comment. First, you leave a bit of a gap here. SAying "anyone over 6 foot tall" is not very specific.

Anyone that is below 6'3" or so needs to have some decent ups to dunk. And if someone is below 6'2", they have some really serious ups. Let me explain:

I am approximately 6'3". My shoulders are about 62". My arm length is about 35". If we assume that this is the average for someone 6'3", and we assume that you will need to jump about 11' to dunk (132"), then I'm going to need to have about a 35" vertical. Anytime someone gets over a 30" vertical, that's pretty good. So I would say anyone at 6'3" or under that can dunk has some good to very good ups.

Holmes_Fans
03-04-2005, 06:08 PM
If I dunked it would be impressive

HighSchool Fan
03-04-2005, 06:39 PM
Originally posted by Macarthur
I would take some issue with your comment. First, you leave a bit of a gap here. SAying "anyone over 6 foot tall" is not very specific.

Anyone that is below 6'3" or so needs to have some decent ups to dunk. And if someone is below 6'2", they have some really serious ups. Let me explain:

I am approximately 6'3". My shoulders are about 62". My arm length is about 35". If we assume that this is the average for someone 6'3", and we assume that you will need to jump about 11' to dunk (132"), then I'm going to need to have about a 35" vertical. Anytime someone gets over a 30" vertical, that's pretty good. So I would say anyone at 6'3" or under that can dunk has some good to very good ups.

go watch a basketball game, over 75 percent of all they guys can dunk the ball. now, how many of the girls can dunk the ball? you also don't need to jump 11', 10'5" should get the job done, if you can hold onto the ball.

i also didn't say that anyone over 6' could dunk the ball, i said it's just not impressive, it's common.