PDA

View Full Version : Greenwood New Man?

Green Ranger
03-02-2005, 06:27 PM
On other boards, rumor has it Owens has taken Monahans. If sources are correct that leaves Taylor and Liles. Still find it funny that this has been kept so quiet. If Owens is the man at Monahans I wish him the best of luck and may the best man win in Greenwood.

oh well
03-02-2005, 07:08 PM
Has Ballinger beat Greenwood in the last 5 years???

Wtx_coach
03-02-2005, 08:13 PM
No ohwell, but sometimes if your team is undersized and the other team has great speed its harc to match up with them, just cause you lose a game that does not mean you got outcoached.

Ask Rangermom and she will tell you how OWens had them boys from Ballinger competing with greenwood every year while other teams were getting killed by Greenwood!!

Ranger Mom
03-02-2005, 08:20 PM
Originally posted by Wtx_coach
No ohwell, but sometimes if your team is undersized and the other team has great speed its harc to match up with them, just cause you lose a game that does not mean you got outcoached.

Ask Rangermom and she will tell you how OWens had them boys from Ballinger competing with greenwood every year while other teams were getting killed by Greenwood!!

What he says is true!!

I would be honored to have Owens leading the Rangers....but if that is not meant to be, I hope we get a coach who is as good as a motivater as Owens is!

GreenMonster
03-02-2005, 08:29 PM
I met coach Owens once. Really nice man. Good football coach. His kids played their hearts out for him and and his staff showed him great respect. If he's the man, he will do a fantastic job.

justlikesports
03-02-2005, 10:10 PM
The mill (rumor mill that is) here in Lobo land is that Owens will be named the new AD. Very reliable sources have given me that info. March 15 is the date that the board is suppose to make it official. I hope it all works out. Still think it is wrong how they did Coach Hanna, but we have to move on and get ready for new leadership. I am anxious to see who stays and who doesn't from the present staff. I guess it will all be determined very soon. Does anyone know the time table for naming the AD's in Greenwood and Stockton?

oh well
03-02-2005, 10:30 PM
All I am saying is very few times does a school hire a coach the has not beat them. I do not believe in the theory of not having the same athletes I saw the games. Do not get me wrong I like the Coach at Ballinger a lot good man. I am just saying as I have been he will not be hired at Greenwood and I have set on the Ballinger side several times.

4 years ago the Ballinger was one of the best 3a jobs open. I saw the athletes they competed well and yes there was good coaching.

Ranger Mom
03-02-2005, 11:34 PM
Just heard on the news that Greenwood is down to 6 applicants. A coach from Breckenridge (can't remember the name) Taylor from Ozona, Lyles from Midland Lee formerly of Greenwood and 2 internal coaches. I guess the 6th spot is Owens.

They said they should have someone in place by March 14th.

lobo12
03-02-2005, 11:35 PM
like said in previous posts he ALMOST beat greenwood twice the year they made their state run which is a lot more that any other team can say that year, he may not have beat them but he gave them a run for their money year in and year out. i remember watching them in 03 when they lost the game when a kid got tackled on the 3 after an amazing kick return play. ballinger did not have many kids on the sideline and greenwood was loaded again that year, and ballinger could have easily pulled it out. monahans or greenwood would be lucky to have mickey owens as their head coach

oh well
03-03-2005, 09:13 AM
TO say there was not very much talent at Ballinger is not right either. The Ballinger Job 4 years ago was looked at as one of the best jobs open in West Texas. It might have been a better job then Greenwood 4 or 5 years ago. Do not forget how good a job Coach Perser did at Greenwood.

panther power
03-03-2005, 10:46 AM
as far as stockton goes it is still in progress, there have been 15 applicants so far including former stockton coaches as well as new applicants. I'll keep you posted.

oh well
03-03-2005, 11:08 AM
panther power who do you see as the front runner?

panther power
03-03-2005, 05:09 PM
well i see a former coach taking over, i don't know who exactly but there are 2 in particular. that's just whats I think..

Wtx_coach
03-03-2005, 08:10 PM
A former coach in stockton panther power? That would be a wrong move by the Panthers, they need to hire someone new to the program with a proven record!!

panther power
03-04-2005, 08:45 AM
i agree, maybe a lobo? i hope he has applied. The only thing that would hurt him is the incident, we are going through one right now in town with the school staff that i don't want to get into details with. One former coach has been to the state title game twice in his career, winning it once. In a smaller classification of course, really smaller, He is a good man. Very well respected here in stockton.

vet93
03-04-2005, 09:54 AM
Oh well....I think that you have it about half right. When Coach Owens was hired at Ballinger we had just graduated one of the most talented classes that we had in many years (this was the team that almost beat Wylie the year that they played in the title game against gatesville and went on to upset a highly ranked Graham team). When that senior class left it took almost all of our returning starters. What Coach Owens inherited was a team that had a talented soph class with questionable talent both above and below them. That first year he turned that bunch into a playoff team that was undefeated going into the last week against Wylie. Most townspeople thought that they would have gone about 6-4 that year. The next two year had their ups and downs but what hurt Ballinger is that even though they had a talented sophomore class (Posey and company), the classes above and below were very weak. Therefore, Ballinger generally had a good bunch of starters, but they had no depth and lots of guys went both ways. This made it very difficult to consistently take on the big boys. They had some upsets (Kennedale, Sweetwater) but we just didn't have the horses to ramp up and beat the really talented, deep teams like Wylie and Greenwood. Therefore, I think that the deck was stacked against Coach Owens a little more than some think. By the way....I also think that Purser did a great job at Greenwood.

Originally posted by oh well
TO say there was not very much talent at Ballinger is not right either. The Ballinger Job 4 years ago was looked at as one of the best jobs open in West Texas. It might have been a better job then Greenwood 4 or 5 years ago. Do not forget how good a job Coach Perser did at Greenwood.

oh well
03-04-2005, 10:19 AM
i agree coach owens did a very good job there. However this is still a very good job. now it is one of the best 2A jobs in all of west texas. No I am not asking for an interview. I as a lot of people realize how good a job this is.

oh well
03-04-2005, 10:20 AM
the lighta of Marfa are soon to be seen in Stockton

Wtx_coach
03-04-2005, 10:28 AM
Oh WELL, im starting to think you are HENSON or a major jocker son, I see you on the oldcoach and you just bring his nmae up out the blue, come on man get a clue, Henson will not get the job in stockton, I can bet my paycheck on that on anyday of the week!!

Wtx_coach
03-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Originally posted by panther power
i agree, maybe a lobo? i hope he has applied. The only thing that would hurt him is the incident, we are going through one right now in town with the school staff that i don't want to get into details with. One former coach has been to the state title game twice in his career, winning it once. In a smaller classification of course, really smaller, He is a good man. Very well respected here in stockton.

What coach is that panther power? I know most of the coaches and I have never known one of them won a state title as a head coach in Texas,let me in on the info!!

Black_Magic
03-04-2005, 12:11 PM
What makes you so sure Henson will not get the Stockton Job?

oh well
03-04-2005, 01:34 PM
Black Magic wts texas coach was the one who said snyders simple offensecan not beat Monahns he would bet his pay check on it. If I remember right wasn't he that person?? Guess you could be getting another pay check Magic from PISD huh

Black_Magic
03-04-2005, 03:04 PM
Originally posted by oh well
Black Magic wts texas coach was the one who said snyders simple offensecan not beat Monahns he would bet his pay check on it. If I remember right wasn't he that person?? Guess you could be getting another pay check Magic from PISD huh OH YEAH!!:clap: He was the guy who said Snyder had the Simple Offense and then disapeared from the downlow for a couple of months after Snyder Spanked the Loboes.:rolleyes: All I want to say is If a Guy gets fired at a place , then goes to another proven program the very next year and is looking for another job after that, there may be something wrong there.

lobo12
03-04-2005, 05:22 PM
must we bring up that game again...hahahaha

oh well
03-04-2005, 05:24 PM
nothing personal lobo 12 I do enjoy reading your post and they are always very professional

lobo12
03-04-2005, 05:55 PM
thanks, i know you didnt mean anything by it, just thought id bring in a bit of humor to lighten up the situation

oh well
03-04-2005, 05:56 PM
yea I agree,

oh well
03-04-2005, 10:53 PM
Where is West Texas Coach

Ranger05
03-05-2005, 01:42 PM
If Owens is going to Monahans then i am about 85% sure that Coach Liles from Lee will get the job. I played for coach Liles from 7th to my sophmore year and in that time he created some of the best defenses in Greenwood history.

oh well
03-05-2005, 07:28 PM
I agree he is good and he knows the kids already

WTF-82
03-07-2005, 11:59 PM
If stockton was to hire a former lobo and current assistant.
in Monahans like Roark would be the right choice if he would take
the job. Not to many schools around here has won more games than Monahans. And Roark knows the tradition and program well a former QB in Monahans in the early years of the 80's Loboes were a 4-A power and his father was a great Coach in Monahans for many years this family knows how to win football games. He will run the Wing-T offense and pass for more yards than any spread offenssive team around here.

Wtx_coach
03-08-2005, 12:25 AM
Yes I know Roarks father and he was a great coach, I like your statement, just cause you are not in the spread you can still pass for 1,000 yards!!
Oh yea im right here BLACK MAGIC amd OH WELL, I dont disappear, im just not on the computer talking crap my whole life hoping no one ever finds out who I am, like you ohwell!!

Black_Magic
03-08-2005, 11:12 AM
Originally posted by Wtx_coach
Yes I know Roarks father and he was a great coach, I like your statement, just cause you are not in the spread you can still pass for 1,000 yards!!
Oh yea im right here BLACK MAGIC amd OH WELL, I dont disappear, im just not on the computer talking crap my whole life hoping no one ever finds out who I am, like you ohwell!! Well I remember the one statement a little more than a year ago about the "Simple Offense" Snyder had. I dont blame you for sticking up for Roark on here and on the Old Coach. After all, If he gets the job im sure you have attached your wagon to his truck. Im laughing that you think oh well is Henson. I dont think he is henson because he has been posting about district 4-3A more than any other and if Im not mistaken, Henson Is coaching some 1 or 2a school out west. doubt A 1 or 2a coach would spend much time on here.

Crow22
03-08-2005, 11:29 AM
Well, I coached for Roark for 4 years and he's a great football coach. However, he's not going to pass for more yards than any spread team. He's going to run it right down your throat and make you like it. Passing ain't his thing. Trust me.

They WILL win though.

Good luck RR!!

panther power
03-08-2005, 11:58 AM
well, we will see. I think he has applied and the interviews are going to start very soon...

LH Panther Mom
03-08-2005, 12:06 PM
Originally posted by Crow22
Well, I coached for Roark for 4 years and he's a great football coach. However, he's not going to pass for more yards than any spread team. He's going to run it right down your throat and make you like it. Passing ain't his thing. Trust me.

They WILL win though.

Good luck RR!!

Wing-T......you just GOTTA love it. :D

panther power
03-08-2005, 12:10 PM
the wing-t is old school but is effective. I love it, i ran it when i was in high school. We had a 1000 yard passer and an all-state rusher. It puts points up and is so versatile, i love it!

I would love to see it back here

Black_Magic
03-08-2005, 12:33 PM
D Coordinators Love to see the Wing T. You better have some hosses if you going to run it

LH Panther Mom
03-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic
D Coordinators Love to see the Wing T. You better have some hosses if you going to run it

Most of the DC's we were up against didn't love seeing it. Or maybe it was the hosses they didn't like. ;)

Crow22
03-08-2005, 12:35 PM
Actually Black Magic, the WingT is effective with less talented teams because of all the misdirection and angle blocking. However, if you DO have hosses, its deadly.

panther power
03-08-2005, 12:43 PM
well spoken....

lobo dad
03-08-2005, 01:20 PM
Originally posted by Black_Magic

AGREED!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Black_Magic
03-08-2005, 02:44 PM
Actually Black Magic, the WingT is effective with less talented teams because of all the misdirection and angle blocking. However, if you DO have hosses, its deadly. IM saying DCs LOVE to see the wing T. Read the Guards and you will be fine most of the time. God I hope Greenwood goes to the Wing T.:D

Crow22
03-08-2005, 03:39 PM
The key word is MOST of the time.....

oh well
03-08-2005, 04:44 PM
right most of the time

vet93
03-08-2005, 06:27 PM
Occasionally we would criss-cross our guards on the buck sweep just to throw off the LB reads.....it was funny watching film of the game and see the two inside linebackers in a 50 defense run in to each other! Sometimes we would also pull our guards the opposite direction on purpose to screw up their reads. A well run wing T is not near as easy to dissect as some would have you believe. It can be a very deceptive offense and versatile. Of course it is just like anything....if you run the offense well it will be successful.

The key word is MOST of the time.....