PDA

View Full Version : Baseball (and maybe Softball) Question on HS football.

Phil C
03-02-2005, 03:42 PM
I found out that in college softballl (this year I think) they started a rule that in extra innings both teams get to start off with a player at second base. I wonder if they do that in High School baseball and softball in Texas. It would probably eliminate some long games. I wouldn't object if it was implimented if it hasn't been done so this year. Can anyone help?

Keith7
03-02-2005, 03:46 PM
I have never heard of that rule... Its interesting but I think it would ruin some of the drama of extra innings.. I don't think they have that rule in high school, but it might be something they consider since a bunch of small schools do not have lights and run into trouble when long games happen

Bandera YaYa
03-02-2005, 03:48 PM
I think that rule stinks!! .....people always trying to change things......grrrrrrrrrrrrr :rolleyes:

Phil C
03-02-2005, 03:54 PM
There are about 26 teams participating and Sinton is one of them and they are using three fields one at King High in Kingsville, one at Texas A&M University - Kingsville, and one at Bishop. Tomorrow (Thursday) Sinton is scheduled to play Sharyland at King High at 3:15 P.M. The games have a time limit of 1hr15min. This is according to the Corpus Christi Caller/Times. On Friday Sinton is playing Gregory-Portland at 12.30 P.M. in Bishop and Friday's game has a 1 1/2 hour time limit. Pirate please keep us posted if you hear of any changes. I might try to make one of the games but of course that depends on the weather and other things. Thank you.

Phil C
03-02-2005, 03:55 PM
Originally posted by Keith7
I have never heard of that rule... Its interesting but I think it would ruin some of the drama of extra innings.. I don't think they have that rule in high school, but it might be something they consider since a bunch of small schools do not have lights and run into trouble when long games happen

Maybe that was a factor since it was tournament play and they had time constraints and is not a rule for regular season or playoff play.

Roll'em up
03-02-2005, 06:11 PM
I know that baseball doesn't have such a rule. If they did it would be such an injustice to a great game.

sahen
03-02-2005, 06:41 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
I found out that in college softballl (this year I think) they started a rule that in extra innings both teams get to start off with a player at second base. I wonder if they do that in High School baseball and softball in Texas. It would probably eliminate some long games. I wouldn't object if it was implimented if it hasn't been done so this year. Can anyone help?
Phil, this rule has been around some time for ASA softball, its called the international tiebreaker and was instated by ASA....I know as long as my sister played, so for atleast the last 10 years or so this rule has been in effect....Also if the game goes to a second extra inning then runners r placed on both 2nd and 3rd....as far as baseball goes im pretty sure that this has never been done and in my opinion should never be done, baseball and softball are not the same game....

18handicap
03-03-2005, 07:47 AM
Yes, that is the ITB (international tie breaker). A lot of tournaments use it to keep games moving. In the past, many high school districts used the ITB (just last out at 2B only), but it has sorta faded away in a lot of places since the UIL forbids its use in the playoffs. We even played regular for a few years and started ITB in the 10th, but now we play straight ball in district play.

BTEXDAD
03-08-2005, 10:24 AM
Some people like the ITB and others don't. It is used in high school tournaments but not in playoffs.
Bellville softball beat Spring in 11 innings in the Brenham tournament last weekend. After the seventh inning, the ITB was used with runner starting out on second. Regulation 7 innnings ended tied 4-4 and at end of tiebreaker sequence, the final score was 8-7.
It was exciting game, but I don't feel the tiebreaker should be used in playoffs.

AP Panther Fan
03-08-2005, 10:43 AM
I went to see a tournament in Sequin (Girls ASA). They used the International Tie Breaker rule but each team kept scoring and they had to do it about 3 times!

We were all sooo tired and confused by the third tie-breaker, I was just ready for our team to lose so we could head for the river in New Braunfels and have some fun!:D

Phil C
03-08-2005, 11:40 AM
As much as I don't care for tournaments I guess it is great for the teams and kids because the hitters get to face several teams and different pitchers with different styles and it does show you what you need to work on.

sahen
03-08-2005, 05:51 PM
Originally posted by Phil C
As much as I don't care for tournaments I guess it is great for the teams and kids because the hitters get to face several teams and different pitchers with different styles and it does show you what you need to work on.
softball is all about the tournaments phil....however baseball is completely different

Bellville22
03-08-2005, 10:24 PM
I've heard of that rule starting in the 9th inning in softball. Not sure if it's a universal thing or not.

18handicap
03-08-2005, 11:03 PM
The UIL doesn't want the ITB used in playoffs. You can do what you want with it until then.