PDA

View Full Version : Graham

Gsquared
03-02-2005, 08:34 AM
Hearing they will hire tomorrow. Think it will be McCoy?

shortbag33
03-02-2005, 09:11 AM
It will be McCoy. I know for a fact that alot of head coaches from the 3,4,5A ranks were looked over because the super wanted someone that he could control. They had a great applicant on staff that did not even get an interview.

kaorder1999
03-02-2005, 09:44 AM
thats sad

Gsquared
03-02-2005, 10:28 AM
Thats a story I hear alot, controlling administrators.

kaorder1999
03-02-2005, 11:10 AM
shortbag, saw on a nother board that an abilene cooper assistant was a finalist...who was that.....the DC?

shortbag33
03-02-2005, 12:19 PM
Don't know the name of the Cooper guy.

kaorder1999
03-02-2005, 02:37 PM
the reason i ask is the guy that applied from Cooper didnt get an interview....how could he be a finalist

superslyguy06
03-02-2005, 02:42 PM
i thought it was lubbock cooper. but yeah, talk around school is that it'll be McCoy

Roll'em up
03-02-2005, 06:13 PM
Originally posted by superslyguy06
i thought it was lubbock cooper. but yeah, talk around school is that it'll be McCoy

Where is he from?

Gsquared
03-02-2005, 06:32 PM
Originally posted by Roll'em up
Where is he from?
Tuscola

Jim Ned

VWG
03-02-2005, 06:48 PM
Originally posted by shortbag33
It will be McCoy. I know for a fact that alot of head coaches from the 3,4,5A ranks were looked over because the super wanted someone that he could control. They had a great applicant on staff that did not even get an interview.

So you're saying that McCoy isn't the best candidate out of over 200 applicants that applied.
Who was the best qualified? Doesn't McCoy have something like a .700 winning percentage in his career as a head coach?

GreenMonster
03-02-2005, 08:35 PM
That is a huge change in philosophy. Is McCoy potentially walking into a disaster here?

VWG
03-02-2005, 08:38 PM
Originally posted by GreenMonster
That is a huge change in philosophy. Is McCoy potentially walking into a disaster here?

Philosophy of who? I'm missing your point.

Z motion 10 out on 2
03-02-2005, 08:52 PM
McCoy likes to air it out.

VWG
03-02-2005, 08:59 PM
OK... I see, but that would imply that any coaching change at any school might incur a "disaster".... if the new coach has a totally diff. offense from his predecessor.

Z motion 10 out on 2
03-02-2005, 09:32 PM
Who knows. I guess we will find out next year just how disasterous it will be. If Graham bombs like Hirschi (Which I don't think will happen) the Steer Fan may wish they had back that veer offense!

superslyguy06
03-02-2005, 09:41 PM
yeah, the old and supposed "new" offenses can't be any further apart from each other in dynamics. but we do have a few athletes here in graham and from what i heard McCoy's other son, a soph. this year was 2nd or 3rd team all state as a receiver in 2A. He also plays QB from what I heard and it would be a logical move to put him at the helm since he knows the whole playbook. but only time will tell i suppose. . .

CRHSeagle
03-02-2005, 09:55 PM
I also heard that the WF Rider coach was in the mix too...

superslyguy06
03-02-2005, 10:02 PM
yeah, we talked about that the other day. then i think they nailed down the 2 finalists earlier this week. i'm almost 100% sure i will know who it is by tom. i'll keep ya'll posted.

GreenMonster
03-02-2005, 11:05 PM
I don't see Graham matching Ponder's salary at Rider. It is rumored to be in the high 80's now. To reply to VWG, I agree with you in that it does kind of imply something I did not intend. All I meant was this is totally night and day as far as the former coach and McCoy. Borquin didn't like to throw it but maybe 5 times a game where McCoy will throw it 30 - 40 times a game. I didn't know about McCoy's son who could come in and be the starting QB. I was wondering where he would find a QB out of that program that was built around a ball control offense and a defense that was designed to not give up the big play. Graham's best defense the past several years has been their offensive scheme. There are good athletes throughout that program but I expect that there will be severe growing pains and that the Steer fans and Administration will be impatient. I simply see a potential for disaster there. Key word being POTENTIAL. Z Motion, thanks for not reading between the lines of my previous post, I think maybe you might see where I am coming from.

Adidas410s
03-03-2005, 12:27 AM
I don't see the change in offense being too big of a problem, whether they put McCoy's son at QB or WR. If he plays receiver then he will be the go-to-guy but if he plays QB then you will likely see a Texas Tech style offense that is VERY hard to cover because the offense will be a lot of very quick crossing routes. With a QB new to the system you can all but guarantee that McCoy removes a lot of the deep post routes and instead focuses on the "under routes" a lot more. The nice X factor for Graham going to this system is that the kids still know how to run the ball, and run it well. That will allow him to implement a lot of option out of the shotgun. The biggest transition for Graham imop is getting the OL and QB used to being in the shotgun as opposed to under center all the time. I don't believe I have EVER seen Graham in the gun so it will take a bit for the kids to adapt.
Well I took another bad beat in poker tonight (AGAIN 6th in a 50-60 man tourney where top 5 pays) so I am off to bed to ponder things some more...:thinking:

Gsquared
03-03-2005, 07:24 AM
Word in Graham is that McCoy was offered the job yesterday

superslyguy06
03-03-2005, 10:43 AM
I should know later today. but it can't be publicly announced til tuesday i think.

Roll'em up
03-03-2005, 10:49 AM
IMO Graham will not have any problems transitioning from the veer to the spread. They have great athletes! They will not have any problems putting skill kids on the field that can run and catch. Yes scheme-wise it will take some time for them to understand, but with their athletes they will still win. I think their kids will pick it up pretty quick, because they will love to play in this offense. The area you will probably see them have the most difficulty is teaching an offensive line how to pass protect. There is a lot of technique involved that they may not have been taught in the veer offense. But, by district, I will expect to see them playing good football.

Gsquared
03-03-2005, 12:16 PM
I should know later today. but it can't be publicly announced til tuesday i think.
Let us know once its publically announced ]

superslyguy06
03-03-2005, 10:47 PM
I just got the call. The school board meeting ended i guess 10 min ago and it's McCoy of Jim Ned.

Gsquared
03-04-2005, 07:21 AM
I just got the call. The school board meeting ended i guess 10 min ago and it's McCoy of Jim Ned.
Congrats Graham! Got a pretty good one