PDA

View Full Version : 4-3A Basketball

wildstangs
03-01-2005, 11:28 PM
Wylie advances with a win over Seminoe, Merkel lost to Levelland.

Adidas410s
03-02-2005, 12:06 AM
Wylie vs Graham on Friday...wonder who I will be rooting for in this one?

Gobbla2001
03-02-2005, 12:08 AM
Originally posted by Adidas410s
Wylie vs Graham on Friday...wonder who I will be rooting for in this one?

Graham?

Adidas410s
03-02-2005, 12:36 AM
hey now...both of my brothers play sports there and now that Bourquin is gone...:clap: :clap: :clap:

panther power
03-02-2005, 05:06 PM
Tough defeat
Seminole fights hard, but falls to Abilene Wylie
By Sam Waller
Odessa American
BIG SPRING Down seven with less than five minutes left and their leading scorer on the bench with five fouls, Seminole found itself in a hole that the Indians couldn’t climb out of.
Despite twice getting to within a point and having a shot to tie the game at the end, the Indians never got over the hump Tuesday in a 53-49 loss to the Abilene Wylie Bulldogs in a Region I-3A quarterfinal at Howard College’s Dorothy Garrett Coliseum.
Wylie used a 13-0 run early in the third quarter to take the lead for good and outscored the Indians 37-29 in the second half. Seminole actually outscored the Bulldogs from the floor, but Wylie held a 13-4 edge in scoring at the free-throw line despite shooting just 54.2 percent at the stripe.
District 3-3A champion Seminole ended its season at 17-16, overcoming a 4-13 start by winning 13 of 15 entering Tuesday’s game. Indians coach Paul Page said it was that type of resilience that kept the Indians in the game after post Micah Clay fouled out with 6:10 remaining.
“Being down like that, it says a lot about the guys’ character to fight and work to get back to the point where we had a chance to tie there late,” Page said.
Wylie twice led by as much as seven in the second half, but left the Indians one last chance when Case Keenum, who scored a game-high 16 points, made only one of two free throws with 14 seconds left to give the Bulldogs a 52-49 lead.
Seminole’s Kale Hughes, who hit two three-pointers in scoring 10 points, missed a trey from the left corner and Wylie’s Adam Sisneros got the rebound with two seconds to go.
Clay led the Indians with 13 points while Matt Castleberry added 11, six of which came after Clay fouled out. Jeff Wilkerson added 11 points for the Bulldogs.
District 4-3A runner-up Wylie (23-10) will play Graham on Friday in the Region I-3A semifinals in Lubbock. It is the Bulldogs’ third trip to the regional tournament in the last four years.
Both teams started slowly, with neither leading by more than two points before Seminole went on a 7-1 run to take a 20-13 lead with 1:35 late in the half. The Indians trailed only briefly in the first quarter, but struggled when Castleberry picked up his third foul with five minutes to go in the half.
“Foul trouble hurt us early because we couldn’t take advantage of some of the things we wanted to do offensively,” Page said. “We needed to get Micah the ball early, and with Matt in foul trouble we really didn’t have that 1-2 punch at the end of the half. That kind of took Micah out of the game as well when Matt wasn’t on the floor.”
Keenum sparked Wylie’s big run with a 3-pointer early in the third quarter, then Sisneros scored the next six, putting the Bulldogs in front to stay at 23-22 with 5:40 to go in the period.
“I think we were much more patient and took better shots in the second half,” Wylie coach Russell Perkins said. “Our shot selection was a little better.
“Seminole had such a good game plan. Coach Page had his kids ready to play and they played so hard. Defensively, they played us so hard that I think we rushed things offensively in the first. We took some open shots and they didn’t go in, and I think that led to some frustration.”
Seminole was held scoreless for three minutes, 45 seconds as the Bulldogs pulled out to a 29-22 advantage.
“We had a lull there in the first of the third quarter and they went on that run,” Page said. “Because we struggled offensively all night, that really hurt us. We just couldn’t overcome it.”
Perkins said Wylie’s defense picked up once the offense got going, leading to some easy baskets.
“You don’t want you offense to feed your defense,” he said. “Your defense has to feed your offense and I thought it did in that run.”
After Clay went out, the Bulldogs upped the lead to 41-34 with 5:10 remaining. The Indians got to within 44-43 on a basket by Jeremy Hill with 2:18 left, and Seminole’s Lance Sheets hit two free throws with 1:44 to go to make it 46-45.
But Kenny Getchell was called for charging on the Indians’ next possession and Wylie hit five of eight free throws the rest of the way.